Is Fuel Injection worth the extra money?

FI it is!!! I travel pretty often so I don't want to have to raise this thing from the dead if it doesn't run for a few weeks...

Now, my only beef with the wave is the seat. That damn hump is right where I want to sit. Need to find one of those racing boy seats that are flat as a board. Then I can slide back a bit.

Back problems. I don't know why I can ride a Yamaha Mio, a Sym Fiddle, et al, but cannot ride a Wave at all. Half a kilometer on a Wave and my back is extremely unhappy. Several hours on a Wave, and I'm a cripple. No more Honda Waves at this house now, so no more motorbike back problems. Which is just to ask, have you look at any of the other bikes on the market out there? The kid has a new Yamaha GTX 125, for example. Every Thai who has ridden the thing has gone out of their way to report that they're head over heels impressed. 43,000 Baht. That's an "automatic," though, which may not be what you're looking for. Yamaha also has 135 and 150cc bikes that have manual transmissions. The 150 is a five speed with disc brakes all the way around. Seems a pretty good quality item, though you'll need more money. Last time I checked, it was 64,000 Baht here in Thailand, which would be about $1,800US. Price in Vietnam? I dunno, and not sure what it would be called there either. They often have many different names for the same bike in different countries. Just a thought. I mean, whatever you get, you'll likely have it for a while. Look around a bit, and see what other makers are offering?

An on topic comment: my wife had a Suzuki Smash 110 some years ago. Carbureted. Let it sit overnight, and it was difficult to start the next morning. Let it sit for two days and it was downright evil in its refusal to start. Not all carbureted bikes are like that, and it may have more to do with a specific bike than a brand. But I've never known anyone who had such problems with fuel injection. Really, I don't think I've ever known anyone who had to mess with a fuel injection rig at all.

Have fun...

I have a carbed Raider and a FI Tricity.

I have had other bikes of both types.

FI is by far better, just put some gas preserve in it if it will sit a long time.

I also hate the farm tractor ride of the Wave.

I would get a more modern design for comfort.

I suggest you rent some bikes to feel the differences.

If you have a carb bike, and it is hard to start, the fault is not just because it has a carb. Maybe it is dirty. Spark plug bad. Timing off. Owned many, many carb bikes. My HD sat in a steel crate for almost 7 years, drained the fuel, poured in fresh, installed a new battery, and it fired right up. That being said FI will use less fuel, compensate (within limits) for temp and altitude changes, and may give better throttle response. Learn how to set up a carb, and points for that matter, and starting cold is a 2 kick event, hot one kick.

I also hate the farm tractor ride of the Wave.

I would get a more modern design for comfort.

I suggest you rent some bikes to feel the differences.

I hear you. I would have never dreamed of buying a wave one year ago. Only recently did I test ride a new one and changed my mind about them. I think it's a good bike! Certainly lacks sex appeal but anything is an upgrade over my current bike.

I'm also considering the Yamaha Exciter. It's exactly double the price of the Wave 110 FI. Is it twice the bike? Yes I think it is. Do I need all that power? Definetaly not... I rarely go over 40kph here. I just want something that starts everytime and doesn't stall out on long rides home at night. The wave would be fine.

Wants vs needs. Time to decide! Regardless I'll go FI if I buy the wave.

Always considered the Wave110i to have attractive lines.

Especially after peeling off the stickers.

Hear it is the best selling vehicle in the known world.

I agree. I think it's a good looking bike. Of course the ladies aren't impressed because it's cheap... But thankfully I don't need to rely on a hot bike to get me girls. ?

Let's face it. A scooter is a scooter. These are not high performance machines. They are build for running around town and going to the market. I think the wave is a fine choice. Also nice not having a clutch. Am I the only one who takes the occasional ride home while holding a large pizza in my left hand? ?

post-246366-0-98458700-1467262679_thumb.

That being said FI will .... compensate (within limits) for temp and altitude changes, and may give better throttle response.

Not if one has installed a cheater box to fool the system into thinking the air is cooler and denser so it richens up the mixture a bit to improve throttle response?

I

'm living in Vietnam now and carb model bikes are extremely popular and still being sold brand new by all major manufacturers. Honda has carb dreams and waves. Yamaha has the Sirius. You'd be surprised how many locals opt for the carb version with spoke wheels and drum brakes. Those bare bones models are about $900 USD brand new and will still last a decade of abuse as their family vehicle.

But I understand that FI is the future. Thanks for weighing in guys!

When in Rome do what the Romans do. If most Waves there are not FI there is a market reason. If you live in the city near a dealer then OK if you live in the sticks and wish to sell it in a few years the locals might be reluctant as they know it will cost more to fix.

If you want to hop it up by fitting loud exhaust, aftermarket cam, bigger valves etc. Larger carb is easier to buy than a larger injector and a new ECU?

Edited by VocalNeal

For me a scooter is a means of transport and not a hobby, so I go for ease of use and longevity. The two main points for ease of use for me is first Fuel injection so its easier to start in all conditions and second tubeless tires so I don't have to check tire pressure every other day.

check tire pressure every other day.

There are no tire pressure gauges in Vietnam. I dare you to find one here. I went to the local mechanic / parts shop which is well stocked. Showed them google images of a tire pressure gauge and they just shook their heads... Asked them where I can find one. "Sorry I don't know." ?

I am on my second F1 first one now got 65 k on the clock ,still got original battery , and uses no oil, second on now go 16k on the clock ,both are bad starters ,from hot or cold ,and have a tenderce to kick back when you try to start them ,my local bike shop said could be weak fule pump, new one 2 000 bart ,to you sir.

I would prefer a carb modal .less to go wrong , the F1 does the job , just a YJM , but with all petrol (round here) being gasohol ,the F1 ,has the advantage ,carbs and gasohol do not seem to mix .

My current bike is a POS Old Nouvo with carb. Every single night it stalls on my ride home. Never during the day. I don't know if this is a carb issue? It does get cool at night here. I also drive it faster at night when the roads are clear.

Getting tired of it and ready to junk this thing.

Your nuts if you go for a carby fueled model. I have a PCX150 with over 35000km on it and the EFI has not caused any problems.

And?

Your point is?

My missus's family all have Waves with in excess of 70k kms on them, each. All of 'em carb'ed. Never any of them had a fuel/ignition problem. Some even don't have a battery fitted anymore.

When there may be a future problem, it's a 600 baht new carb, 600 baht new CDI, or 300 baht for a new coil. Easy fixes. Try buying a new FI module for anywhere near those prices, let alone finding someone to figure out what's wrong with the thing, in another 35k kms (and how many batteries?), once you've hit 70k plus...

Me, yeah you've gathered... i'm a Luddite.

If i can't fix something myself, i don't own it.

So you don't have a tv, refrigerator etc?

Smartar$e.

Don't be so pedantic. You know what i meant.

Maybe i should of used the word motorcycle rather than something.

I'm a mechanic and machinist by trade, so i always try fixing stuff, but i'm no electronics engineer. Just changed the timing cam belt on our Vigo truck, first car cam belt i've ever done. Relatively straight forward.

Off topic, we've got a great electronics/electrics old boy in my local market town, he's completely reconditioned my circuit board in my 34 y/o Danish mig welder, every thy-resistor thingey replaced, re- soldered etc. Back home that board would have been obsolete, nobody would have wanted to re-con the old board and the welder would have been consigned to the scrapheap.

Anyway, all our tv's in the house are old school, big, heavy boxes. No flat screens. the big one (H-E-A-V-Y) in the living room has been repaired by him twice. He told me he can fix it forever, but the day i buy a flat screen, don't bother bringing it to him for repair, he can't do anything with them. It's broke - throw it away and buy another one.

Your nuts if you go for a carby fueled model. I have a PCX150 with over 35000km on it and the EFI has not caused any problems.

And?

Your point is?

My missus's family all have Waves with in excess of 70k kms on them, each. All of 'em carb'ed. Never any of them had a fuel/ignition problem. Some even don't have a battery fitted anymore.

When there may be a future problem, it's a 600 baht new carb, 600 baht new CDI, or 300 baht for a new coil. Easy fixes. Try buying a new FI module for anywhere near those prices, let alone finding someone to figure out what's wrong with the thing, in another 35k kms (and how many batteries?), once you've hit 70k plus...

Me, yeah you've gathered... i'm a Luddite.

If i can't fix something myself, i don't own it.

"Try buying a new FI module for anywhere near those prices, let alone finding someone to figure out what's wrong with the thing," The point is you probably will never need to buy a module. My PCX has been 'down the road' twice, once pretty hard, but the module never suffered.

I had a good laugh at that Luddite comment!

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been to Honda so many times that I'm now dating the girl who works there haha! Even getting a discount. I suspect I'll be paying for it in other ways. ?

Anyways, one thing I hate about the Wave 110 is the lack of storage space. Decided to live as if my Nouvo has no space and let me tell you, it SUCKS not having a place to secure your helmet!

The Wave 125 is ugly and $360 more but it may be worth it just for the storage space alone. It can swallow my large full face helmet! That is impressive. The extra CCs don't hurt either.

Thinking out loud...

Have you considered the Yamaha Grand Filano. Superb underseat storage , build quality and fuel injection. May mean you loose "Honda Girl" though.biggrin.png Yamaha gives 60 KM/L. Honda only 42.

Edited by ktm jeff

So I've been to Honda so many times that I'm now dating the girl who works there haha! Even getting a discount. I suspect I'll be paying for it in other ways. ?

Anyways, one thing I hate about the Wave 110 is the lack of storage space. Decided to live as if my Nouvo has no space and let me tell you, it SUCKS not having a place to secure your helmet!

The Wave 125 is ugly and $360 more but it may be worth it just for the storage space alone. It can swallow my large full face helmet! That is impressive. The extra CCs don't hurt either.

Thinking out loud...

You are thinking about cc's with a low cc scooter...facepalm.gif

Actually my main thought was the storage space between the 110 and 125 models. I'm fine with the 110cc in fact I prefer the looks of it and I'm a cheap bastard so I would save some cash.

Just saying, the storage is fantastic on the 125 and I think it justifies the extra cost. The extra torque is a plus. 8.6nm vs 10.6nm. I think that would be a noticeable difference. I know I know. It's no R1. ?