Chiang Mai and Bangkok rated top two cities favoured by Digital Nomads

webfact

Chiang Mai and Bangkok rated top two cities favoured by Digital Nomads

2806006-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok and Chiang Mai were ranked among the world’s Top Ten cities favoured by the so-called “Digital Nomad” netizens in the latest rankings conducted by Nomad List website.

The website was created by Dutch programmer Peter Lavelle to share information among Digital Nomads or online workers who travel and work from place to place where it is safe, English is used, wi-fi is available and cost of living is reasonable.

The poll among Digital Nomads rated Chiang Mai as the No 1 ranking for its peaceful atmosphere, favourable climate, clear wi-fi signal and low cost of living. Bangkok came second for its cheap cost of living with Bali coming third place.

Berlin, meanwhile, was rated as an attractive destination for new startups because of the high quality of life of the German population and safety in life and properties.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-mai-bangkok-rated-top-two-cities-favoured-digital-nomads/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-29

Chiangmai is definately the best part of Thailand except for the smoke and Haze 6 months of the year. Has everything an expat could want along with limited tourists. Entirely different to the sleazy places like Bangkok and Pattaya But as more farangs become aware of it they will destroy the beautiful place.

Chiangmai is definately the best part of Thailand except for the smoke and Haze 6 months of the year. Has everything an expat could want along with limited tourists. Entirely different to the sleazy places like Bangkok and Pattaya But as more farangs become aware of it they will destroy the beautiful place.

So per the above Chiang Mai "Has everything an expat could want along with limited tourists."

How about wanting limited expats?

So per the above Chiang Mai "Has everything an expat could want along with limited tourists."

I don't think there are to many expats in chiangmai, in 9 years I have met 2 aussies, 3 poms and 1 canadian.

I don't think there are to many expats in chiangmai, in 9 years I have met 2 aussies, 3 poms and 1 canadian.

Seriously? Surely you've been to immigration. Trust me, CM is home to thousands of expats.

"Limited tourists"? Maybe back in 1979 but when was the last time the writer of this article visited Chiang Mai? It's been full of Chinese tourists for a number of years now, not to mention westerners, Japanese, Koreans and others. During CNY this year it was so full of blue plate, LHD Chinese cars that it prompted the Land Transport Department to rightfully enact a new law, that went into effect on Monday, effectively prohibiting Chinese tourists from driving to Thailand by imposing a number of new requirements. Even so, growth in tourist numbers is likely to continue, even if they won't be bringing their cars anymore.

Personally, I would much rather live in a city with more expats than tourists. A digital nomad would certainly agree with me on this one; expats can provide support, comfort and friendship, not to mention a basis for collaboration. Tourists come and go, it's highly unlikely an expat would associate with them unless they happen to be working in the tourism industry, which digital nomads clearly are not.

But as more farangs become aware of it they will destroy the beautiful place.

A bit late for that. Though to be fair, these days it's more the Chinese who are wrecking the place.

But I'm just cranky -- I bailed out of CM almost 30 years ago. These days, between the air quality, the traffic, and the tourist mess, I find that a week or two back there to see old friends is plenty for me.

yeah 2 Aussies and they lost somewhere...most like they they miss the Kanguroo land and aussie barbie. Poms you can find them anywhere and hide behind hmmm

After ten years here, I must admit, I've never been to Chiang Mai. Is it worth a visit? But then I am pretty stupid - I went to British Guyana, and thought that's South America sorted, I went to Prague, and thought that's Europe sorted, I went to New York, and thought that's America sorted, and I went to Pattaya ... .

Really? Do you have some examples proving this?

The only cafe raid I am aware of involving 'digital nomads' is the one at PunSpace some time back, in which everyone arrested was released without charge on the same day.

There were a few fines for 'not carrying passport' but that's it.

Which 'cafe raids' are you talking about?

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Really? Do you have some examples proving this?

The only cafe raid I am aware of involving 'digital nomads' is the one at PunSpace some time back, in which everyone arrested was released without charge on the same day.

There were a few fines for 'not carrying passport' but that's it.

Which 'cafe raids' are you talking about?

No problems if you aren't working for a Thai company and receive your income from abroad. These guys are basically the long-term version of a foreign tourist who checks his emails, talks to clients while on a 2-week holiday in Thailand.

So you are right. The cafe raid at PunSpace was made on false information and in the end everyone was found to be in Thailand legally, no one was found to be working illegally either.