My Next Tourist Visa - Advice Sought

Hello people,

So I need to go and get myself a new TV in 5 weeks and want to plan ahead. So far I have 3 visa exempt entries and 2 TVs from Vientiane.

If I am correct in my understanding then if I get another TV in Vientiane then I could get a red stamp saying no more will be issued here - is that correct?

If so and I go to Penang or Savannakhet instead for instance would that prevent me from receiving such a stamp?

Basically I want to get as many TVs as I can before I find another option to stay or leave Thailand.

All helpful responses appreciated. :)

• Unknown, but there's a high chance that you'll get a red stamp if you use Vientiane again.
  • Savannakhet is under the control of Vientiane so the same might happen if applying there.
  • You should be ok for 3 more from Penang because they reportedly only count visas they issue.
  • Like 1

• Unknown, but there's a high chance that you'll get a red stamp if you use Vientiane again.
  • Savannakhet is under the control of Vientiane so the same might happen if applying there.
  • You should be ok for 3 more from Penang because they reportedly only count visas they issue.

Thanks very much elvajero.

If I went to Penang this time and then Vientiane the next time would that still likely result in a red stamp?

EDIT: Also, if I get a red stamp would that prevent me getting TVs elsewhere?

Edited by Chesterpot

• You should be ok for 3 more from Penang because they reportedly only count visas they issue

If I went to Penang this time and then Vientiane the next time would that still likely result in a red stamp?

Unfortunately no one can give you a definitive answer. I believe they will count the number they've issued and it wouldn't matter if you've applied elsewhere.

The stamp doesn't say you can't have another, but warns that another might be declined. It basically means don't bother applying here again. A stamp from Vientiane might prevent you getting another visa from Savannakhet, but it shouldn't affect anywhere else. You would still be able to apply in Penang.

• Like 1

Why not Penang this time (be prepared to pay extra, depending on current evolving policy), then Phnom Penh next time ( and maybe 2 more after that ), then back to Savanakhet for 1 or 2 ? No guarantees, but that would be my strategy.

• Like 1

OP. You did not mention where your from or your longer term plan. METV would give you 9 months. What's your visa exempt record. Other threads where folks have many and demonstrate funds and exit more than few days.

Elite visa is perhaps only long term option other than marry Thai.

• Like 1

Why not Penang this time (be prepared to pay extra, depending on current evolving policy), then Phnom Penh next time ( and maybe 2 more after that ), then back to Savanakhet for 1 or 2 ? No guarantees, but that would be my strategy.

Taking it 1 at a time for now but yes, Penang is my most likely choice to go next.

OP. You did not mention where your from or your longer term plan. METV would give you 9 months. What's your visa exempt record. Other threads where folks have many and demonstrate funds and exit more than few days.

I am from UK. I don't have a long term plan yet. For now I am happily residing in Chiang Mai but I don't know if I can see myself here in a few years time.

METV would be idea if I was back in UK but I'm not and have no plans to go back anytime soon.

My visa exempt record is 3 stamps but I am not sure if I can get more (especially by land) as I was called into the immigration office last time I did this at Chiang Khong.

Elite visa and marriage not appealing options at this time but in later years quite possibly.

• Like 1

Some might consider this going off-topic, but you do realize that success obtaining a visa does not guarantee entry should an IO decide, based on the number of back-to-back entries in your record, not to honor it. I think a TV offers much more assurance than a visa exempt entry expectation, and I only mention it because of your long-term plans to keep using them.

• Like 1

Some might consider this going off-topic, but you do realize that success obtaining a visa does not guarantee entry should an IO decide, based on the number of back-to-back entries in your record, not to honor it. I think a TV offers much more assurance than a visa exempt entry expectation, and I only mention it because of your long-term plans to keep using them.

Thus far, there are no reports I can recall of people being denied entry with a TouristVisa and the required cash (20K Baht) - even at the least-friendly border-crossings. Please link to any, if I missed them.

The only rejections of those with valid Visas, of which I am aware, were involving Ed-Visas - and at the airport, where an IO essentially has you by the short-hairs, since you cannot just walk away and try another crossing later.

Taking it 1 at a time for now but yes, Penang is my most likely choice to go next.

-------------------------

You do understand, don't you, that although there is no guarantee that if you can afford it Flying into Thailand is a better percentage chance than crossing a land border.

You do understand, don't you, that although there is no guarantee that if you can afford it Flying into Thailand is a better percentage chance than crossing a land border.

Airports have a better percentage chance on a Visa Exempt entry? That seems to be the consensus, though the consequences for denial could be far worse, depending on where your "home country" is located, relative to Thailand. But the OP is planning on entering on a Tourist Visa, and even the least-friendly land-border crossings are accepting those (+20K Baht to show) universally.

Returning to Thailand from Penang by land is not significantly less expensive than a flight - though it provides the assurance that if and when a Tourist Visa is denied at an airport, it will not be "you" reporting being sent 2000 miles away, under duress, and at signficant expense for that last-minute ticket and return-flight.

Maybe someone will begin offering "Denied Entry at a Thai airport for No Good Reason" insurance, to address this risk. The policy could provide a free last-minute ticket to one's home-country with return to Penang, plus a train ticket to Pedang Besar, plus a few free "books on tape" to listen to for that 60+ hours on planes and in airports, plus cash for assorted expenses like airport-food and post-trauma chiropractic services. If the chance of denial is slim, it should be inexpensive.

Edited by JackThompson

I was told by the visa agent I use when going to Vientiane that I would have no issue getting a 3rd Tourist visa (in a row) from Vientiane.

My understanding is that if you go somewhere else to get a Tourist visa that effectively resets the counter at other consulates, so you could do 2 or 3 in a row at Vientiane and then one in Penang, then do 2 or 3 in Vientiane again, before needing to go as far as Penang.

My current passport has 2 visa from Vientiane (back to back) and a visa exempt from my last trip out to Macau. I'm not sure if leaving Thailand for another country (not Laos) and coming back on a visa exempt will have reset the Laos visa count. But I suspect it might.

I am from UK. I don't have a long term plan yet. For now I am happily residing in Chiang Mai but I don't know if I can see myself here in a few years time.

METV would be idea if I was back in UK but I'm not and have no plans to go back anytime soon.

My visa exempt record is 3 stamps but I am not sure if I can get more (especially by land) as I was called into the immigration office last time I did this at Chiang Khong.

Elite visa and marriage not appealing options at this time but in later years quite possibly.

Chesterpot, would you mind telling me what the immigration officers asked you when they called you into their office? Many thanks

As it stands no one would be denied entry with a valid visa based on the number of previous visas. They would only be denied entry under Section 12 of the Immigration Act.

I was told by the visa agent I use when going to Vientiane that I would have no issue getting a 3rd Tourist visa (in a row) from Vientiane.

My understanding is that if you go somewhere else to get a Tourist visa that effectively resets the counter at other consulates, so you could do 2 or 3 in a row at Vientiane and then one in Penang, then do 2 or 3 in Vientiane again, before needing to go as far as Penang.

My current passport has 2 visa from Vientiane (back to back) and a visa exempt from my last trip out to Macau. I'm not sure if leaving Thailand for another country (not Laos) and coming back on a visa exempt will have reset the Laos visa count. But I suspect it might.

I think your suspicion/understanding is wrong. Vientiane do a physical count of the number of visas issued by them in a passport, and once that count hits their limit they will deny a new visa or, more likely, issue a last visa and stamp it with the warning stamp. Until you get the warning stamp there is always a good chance of being issued another visa regardless of the visa history from elsewhere.

Visa exempt entries have no impact on the visa limit.

Thus far, there are no reports I can recall of people being denied entry with a TouristVisa and the required cash (20K Baht) - even at the least-friendly border-crossings. Please link to any, if I missed them.

The only rejections of those with valid Visas, of which I am aware, were involving Ed-Visas - and at the airport, where an IO essentially has you by the short-hairs, since you cannot just walk away and try another crossing later.

Well, here's one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742573-tourist-visa-holders-denied-entry-to-thailand-and-left-stranded-in-malaysia/

Let's not be quarrelsome. I'm not saying it's commonplace, just that it can happen. The OP states that he intends to use TVs to remain indefinitely. All it needs is some IO to decide to refuse entry after enough back-to-back entries in a "tourist" status. Holding a Visa guarantees nothing. Now we all know that.

Well, here's one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742573-tourist-visa-holders-denied-entry-to-thailand-and-left-stranded-in-malaysia/

Let's not be quarrelsome. I'm not saying it's commonplace, just that it can happen. The OP states that he intends to use TVs to remain indefinitely. All it needs is some IO to decide to refuse entry after enough back-to-back entries in a "tourist" status. Holding a Visa guarantees nothing. Now we all know that.

That is not exactly a great example and you have to look at the date on it " Posted 2014-07-14 " which was when they were in the midst of the crackdown 2 years ago.

They were told fly in which I assume is what most of them did.

Is there any reason you dont apply for a full visa instead of the short term visa's?

Probably because he does not qualify for any other visa.

Do you have any suggestions as to what he might be able to get.

Well, here's one:

Thanks for the link - I had not read that one. Fortunately, it was just a short-term event, and only affected a few crossings for a few days. Having a valid visa does provide a 99.9% chance of no-hassle entry, but your point is well taken. Always "be prepared for anything" when going on visa-runs. Expect the worst, hope for the best, and have a backup-plan.

To give an idea of a backup plan:

First, try crossing on the International Train @ Pedang Besar (should be 1st choice, anyway). If that fails, rent a room near the border for a week, and watch this forum for updates. Consider flying direct to Laos and entering from there. If returning becomes hopeless in the near-term, give notice to the condo-landlord, arrange for storage of ones things (I keep contact-info on hand for this), and buy some clothes. Then, on to the Philippines, Cambodia or India, before one's Malaysian entry expires.

All of that is far less hassle and expense than a "forced return home" from a potential airport-rejection.

Is there any reason you dont apply for a full visa instead of the short term visa's?

Probably because he does not qualify for any other visa.

Do you have any suggestions as to what he might be able to get.

Drop 500k and he can get a TE visa ?

Is this the red stamp? In the bottom right corner.

gallery_21260_1006_1836.jpg

Bec. I have three SETV from Penang in my passport and they all have that stamp. Im asking bec I want to get a fourth one and Laos is pretty far.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/galleryuploads/1253192707/gallery_21260_1006_1836.jpg

Bec. I have three SETV from Penang in my passport and they all have that stamp. Im asking bec I want to get a fourth one and Laos is pretty far.

If you mean the circular stamp then no.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/galleryuploads/1253192707/gallery_21260_1006_1836.jpg

If you mean the circular stamp then no.

Yes.

I emailed banana and asked about a possible fourth tourist visa and they are basically saying they can probably get me a fourth one if I dont have a "warning stamp". So it sounds hopefull.

gallery_21260_1006_1836.jpg

Look at the red stamp on the side. It is in English. Not hard to understand.