Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand and left stranded in Malaysia

BREAKING

Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand and left stranded in Malaysia

Thailand_tourist+visa+600x398.jpg

file image

Thaivisa strives to bring its members and the wider expat community in Thailand the best possible information it can on the latest situation with regards to visas and entry into the Kingdom. This weekend, one of our reporters visited a number of border checkpoints in southern Thailand to see at firsthand what the current situation is for foreign nationals trying to extend their stay in Thailand.

This is what we found...

SUNGAI KOLOK (Southern Thailand): -- At least 20 foreign nationals were yesterday (Sunday) denied entry into Thailand using their 60-days Tourist visas, after attempting to enter via the Sungai Kolok border checkpoint in Narathiwat province.

Narathiwat is a popular destination for visa runners and border runners to exit and re-enter the country in order to extend their stay in Thailand.

All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous history of multiple visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas.

Eight of the foreigners in question held visas issued abroad, as well as from Malaysia, namely from the Royal Thai Consulates in Penang and Kota Bahru. The countries of origin of the 8 refused foreigners include the UK, Italy, USA, Russia, Ukraine, Romania and New Zealand.

Immigration officials at Sungai Kolok, as well as at several other border checkpoints in the south, have been ordered by the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok to deny entry to foreigners holding 60-days Tourist visas.

A reporter from Thaivisa.com was present when the foreigners attempted to cross the border and can confirm that Sungai Kolok Immigration officials were refusing entry on Sunday to all holders of Tourist visas.

As for those who were refused entry, many of them were shocked, concerned and left in utter disbelief at the situation they now found themselves in.

Immigration officials then told the individuals that they would need to take a bus to Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, and fly in to Thailand instead.

According to Immigration border officials, the official rule is max one 30-days exemption stamp or Tourist visa and no previous tourist visa extensions.

The Sungai Kolok border checkpoint additionally tells thaivisa.com that passport holders from Russia, Laos, Vietnam and South Korea are no longer welcome to enter Thailand via their checkpoint.

The official we spoke to who did not wish to be named said these new measures are following new orders from Immigration Bureau in Bangkok.

The officer went onto say “"You are a tourist for 30 days, not more."

Thaivisa.com's reporter was also informed that a new form, shown below, is now needed when tourist visa holders enter Thailand via the Satun border checkpoint.

NOTIFICATION+FROM+FOR+STAYED+FOR+OTHER+B

During the 2 hours Thaivisa was present at Sungai Kolok border checkpoint, all foreigners with tourist visas were denied entry while holders of NON-Immigrant visas could enter Thailand without any problem.

Previously, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs circulated information to the foreign Embassies and Consulates in Thailand and to the Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates worldwide that individuals with back-to-back tourist visa entries will be refused entry into Thailand from August 13.

Thaivisa will bring you any updates on this story as and when we get it.

Additionally, if you have experienced a similar situation at other border checkpoints in Thailand, please do not hesitate to tell us.

tvn.png
-- 2014-07-14

Refusing entry to all people with tourist visas, how can you obtain a visa and then be denied entry to the country unless you fly into it?

Classic Thailand

There is this line to go with it "All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous history of multiple visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas.".

This seems to be only happening in the South. There are no reports of it happening at other crossings.

And

"Immigration officials then told the individuals that they would need to take a bus to Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, and fly in to Thailand instead."

Looks like stuff just got real.

They mean business now, although it is crazy that embassies and consulates are still probably issuing 60 day tourist visas. I guess they do this for the financial income.

"You are a tourist for 30 days, not more."

This tells you all you need to know and I'm guessing will be Immigration's stance from here on in.

Now if someone could just send an email informing the Thai embassies and consulates around the world, that would be grand...

• Like 1

i stop being suprised here years ago....whistling.gif ..buy a legal visa from a THAI consul (WHO HAVE THE POWER TO REFUSE) and then be refused entry at teh border...idiotic to say the least

It's again worth remembering that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee the holder admission to a country, it's the Immigration Officer at the Border that has the final say, this applies to most countries in the World, including the likes of the UK, the Schengen Area and the United States of America.

yeah, i agree with this. i had a nightmare trying to get my wife back into the UK after we went to Paris for a weekend last year. she had valid UK and Schengen visas too. took 15 minutes of talking before they would let us enter

• Like 1

"Immigration officials then told the individuals that they would need to take a bus to Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, and fly in to Thailand instead." Maybe the Immigration Officials at the airport are more lenient or they do not know the new rules thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

As the news of this spreads, more and more people will likely put of trips here as the confusion reigns.

I don't think so. People visiting here as "real" tourists are unlikely to be affected, particularly as they invariably arrive by air. As clearly stated in the OP, the eight people who were refused entry all had a history of border crossings and numerous Tourist Visas, so the official was clearly following orders not to allow bogus "tourists" into Thailand.

There are numerous ways that a person can arrange legal status in Thailand, and I certainly have no sympathy for anyone who uses tourist visas to carry out unlawful work in Thailand. I am of the opinion that once Thailand has rid itself of such bogus tourists, they may start to make things slightly easier for those of us who stay here legally - such as disposing of the pointless 90 day reporting ...!!

I agree with what you are saying. My point is people won't spend the time to see the truth, they'll just see the headline - TV holders denied entry..... and some will say sod it...

• Like 2

"Immigration officials then told the individuals that they would need to take a bus to Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, and fly in to Thailand instead." Maybe the Immigration Officials at the airport are more lenient or they do not know the new rules thumbsup.gif

Sure, this will work just fine until August 13th when the new regulations are also going to be enforced at the international airports.

I suspect this is an indication of things to come next month.

• Like 1

i stop being suprised here years ago....whistling.gif ..buy a legal visa from a THAI consul (WHO HAVE THE POWER TO REFUSE) and then be refused entry at teh border...idiotic to say the least

It's again worth remembering that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee the holder admission to a country, it's the Immigration Officer at the Border that has the final say, this applies to most countries in the World, including the likes of the UK, the Schengen Area and the United States of America.
Good point.... Let the chips fall where they may.....

kilosierra