Need Advice: What to Bring to Bangkok from US?

DaUke

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get an international drivers permit from AAA. Google it. It would have turned 8 days of hell at the Thai DMV into 30 minutes of stress free business. It's the best $15 I could have ever spent. Most furnished apartments will remove what you don't want that being said I would not ship furniture. Landlord provided beds suck here but you can buy a better one despite what people say. Instead of your company shipping your stuff just ask for some relocation pay. Travel light. Don't let your possessions posses you. Sell on eBay, donate on Freecycle. I did and whittled my US possessions down to 8 Rubbermaid containers and my Harley. Most liberating feeling there is. Remember what I said about Triple A TRUST ME.

AWESOME TIP! Not planning to drive, but there may be an occasional need to rent a car or motorbike in Thailand or other countries.

How big will your condo be? You can get great furniture here both traditional - western and handmade. Excellent bedding and luxury mattresses. You do not need to buy anything - not clothes - underwear or anything or electrics. Instead of a container get the cash instead - do some online research so get a sense of what is available. Bangkok/Thailand is a shoppers paradise. Bring nothing.

Hi...I also came from the US, and I brought quite a few items I thought might be scarce here in Thailand, or difficult to find...basically, I was wrong about everything...Thailand has everything you will need...so just bring things that make a home, items that have personal value...everything is here and at your fingertips, especially in BKK...welcome and enjoy the new direction in life

Also from USA but most often can't find items in Thailand which are available at home. Of course with unlimited money no problem. Rarely can find decent clothes at a reasonable price to my liking. Nonetheless, bringing personal items is the most important. Family photos, artwork, irreplaceable items etc would be items to bring along unless they could be stored at home. Just enough items to bring a bit of home with you. Simple things like candlesticks and wax candles for a romantic dinner are not readily available if at all.

Get an international drivers permit from AAA. Google it. It would have turned 8 days of hell at the Thai DMV into 30 minutes of stress free business. It's the best $15 I could have ever spent. Most furnished apartments will remove what you don't want that being said I would not ship furniture. Landlord provided beds suck here but you can buy a better one despite what people say. Instead of your company shipping your stuff just ask for some relocation pay. Travel light. Don't let your possessions posses you. Sell on eBay, donate on Freecycle. I did and whittled my US possessions down to 8 Rubbermaid containers and my Harley. Most liberating feeling there is. Remember what I said about Triple A TRUST ME.

This is the best advice so far. You will want to get a driver's license even if you don't plan to drive. It's very useful for ID. The IDL will allow you to get a thai DL by passing a vision test & a reaction test, very easy to do. Without the IDL, you will need to pass a written test as well as a driving test.

Whenever I go back, I bring vitamins, generic medicines, supplements, cotton clothes & underwear, cotton sheets, high quality kitchen items (if you like to cook). You can get the sheets & kitchen stuff here with a very high markup.

When I 1st came over, I stripped my desktop computer down to motherboard, ram & hard drive - got a new case, power supply & monitor here.

If you are of larger size, bring shoes, belts, & all clothes you can.

Extra large condoms, according to all the giants among us here in Thailand....

It is basic and sound advice to bring condoms from your home market. Besides price/quality the fit assurance will be better as it is a tried and true brand for you. FWIW condoms are manufactured for their local market consumers. Lookie here and you will see what I mean: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/05/science-thailand-ties-india-2nd-shortest-penises

On a related note: if you are going to mate an elephant and a poodle, make sure you start with a male poodle ...

SL

If you like or have good hifi - bring it with you. If you're considering a really high end hifi - buy it and use it in the states so it's 'used' and bring it with you ( check but it should be dual voltage)

High end bicycle? Same deal - bring it, used and some mud/dirt on it.

Like Espresso? Bring your own good machine and grinder ( again dual voltage ). Profitec 700 or the like etc.

An offshore bank account.

Edited by coops

I brought everything when we moved. I found a good company, as guiding us through the whole process. Told us that only an electrical subject of each and so on. We shipped in my wife's name and the moving company made sure nothing was paid under the table or otherwise. Many people say why bring anything. Well depend on what you got. But to buy all new for a house cost more than all the moving process. Important. Find a good moving company.

I find it strange that people are telling you to bring nothing even tho you can bring all your stuff for nothing.

I have always found the difference between a house and a home is having your own things, your own comforts.

No idea why you would want to spend your first month in Bangkok shopping when you can have everything you already own brought over in one go for when you get here.

I would bring the lot. Save yourself the time and hassle of having to sell everything then rebuy it all a few weeks later.

Believe me you will find it much easier to fit in when you are surrounded by your creature comforts than a house full of newness.

Plenty of removal firms can sort out every aspect of your move at both ends. Why be stressed when you are being paid by your company to be stress free.

How big will your condo be? You can get great furniture here both traditional - western and handmade. Excellent bedding and luxury mattresses. You do not need to buy anything - not clothes - underwear or anything or electrics. Instead of a container get the cash instead - do some online research so get a sense of what is available. Bangkok/Thailand is a shoppers paradise. Bring nothing.

I'm 6ft 4 and will argue to the death that there is no need to buy anything. Anyone over 6ft is screwed

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The underwear at Uniglo is as good as you'll get anywhere. Socks, I've yet to source satisfactorily.

But where can I buy a mask so I can shop at Uniglo without dying of shame?

Just kidding. Is there a brand I should be looking for through the mask?

Saxx underwear. I live in the UK and purchase them from the US. Top undercrackers.

I would bring a dry-cleaning machine with you as if you have to wear suits I guarantee they will be ruined within 3 months by the Thai machines,China is a very different story.
I remember ripping the seat out of a Hugo Boss suit going over a speedbump on a motorbike taxi,I couldn't work out why everyone in Villa Market and on the BTS was giving me funny looks till I got home and realised my backside was hanging out! laugh.png

Then it's down to the old Indian tailors for a 5,000 Baht suit with two shirts and a tie,I've heard some hilarious stories about some of them.The funniest one was a guy who got his suit made and went home happy,wore it the next day to a wedding and it turned out that they hadn't bothered to sew the seams at the side.
They'd just glued them and of course with the humidity in Bangkok the glue hadn't dried properly,so his trouser legs ended up flapping around in the breeze! cheesy.gif

Dont bring anything and especially in a container. You said employer will ship and you have to pay taxes and duty correct? That means you will pay over the amount you paid for each item you bring. Making it extremely expensive. Everything you have there can be bought here in some form. An especially in BKK. Come here get settled in and anything you cant find here that you must have get when you return home on vacation. Contrary to what one poster said, this is NOT a third world country.

I think you are correct. When I was transferred from Singapore to Bangkok I brought most of my apartment with me. It wasn't a lot but the bribes the company had to pay at customs was worth more than what I had actually paid for the possessions I had.

I think my father told me 2 jokes in my entire life time that made me laugh. I am now 54 years old and have always hoped I would never become an old man telling old man jokes but hope people would find them funny.

The so called jokes on this thread have confirmed my fears. Old people really shouldnt try and be funny because it just dont work.

Bring as many pillows as you can - unless you have a preference for extremely firm pillows that feel like concrete slabs.

If I were in your shoes, I would be thinking about shipping my own mattress for the same reason.

I realize "firm" and "soft" are subjective, but the only mattresses I've found here that fit the bill for me are imported from the U.S. and crazy expensive. YMMV.

It's been a while since I've shipped anything from the U.S., but, IIRC, there's some kind of duty-free allowance for "household item" for foreigners with work permits and/or long-stay visas in some cases. Other forum members might be better able to clarify.

Re: clothing items: H&M department stores are ubiquitous here, and I've had no trouble finding socks and t-shits that fit (I'm 6'2" and ~190) - most of them with labels that specify U.S. sizes.

Miscellaneous items I would stock up on when you go to Walgreen's or CVS: Tums, (or other chew-able antacids) your favorite OTC cold medicines, and multivitamins (the pickings are rather slim here.)

I'm sure I've forgotten lots of things, but this is all I can think of at the moment.

Best of luck with the move!

I left the U.S when I was 18 years old, (thanks to Uncle Sam) for Southeast Asia and never went back.

I worked and lived all over the world from Iceland to Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia to Turkey,

I retired in 2010 here in Thailand where I live in Bangkok..

I've lived and worked worked all over the world for over 45 years.

I never brought anything but a suitcase and my personal stuff.

I have lived in rented apartments all my life

You can buy anything you need in most countries..... you just need to learn to adapt to the country you live in at the time,

Don't be a "fearful Freddy".... just buy locally.

Don't bring a thing....you can find what you want wherever you are at the time.

Just bring money and common sense.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I moved here from Texas about a year and a half ago. I hate living here, but I hope you'll like it more than I do. I'm also here for work and I live within walking distance of Central World.

I've been keeping a list of things I absolutely need to buy when I go back home later this year. Most of these are a lot cheaper in the states, especially during Christmas-time, than they are in Thailand due to excessive import taxes. Maybe this will help you on deciding what to bring. I wish I'd have known to bring more of these things when I first came.

SHOES AND SOCKS - The brands and styles I want are either impossible to find or ridiculously overpriced in Thailand. With size 13 feet, there's no way I can "go native" with shoes and socks. If you're bringing good wood/leather work shoes (like Allen Edmonds), be sure to also bring shoe supplies like shoe trees, a horsehair brush, extra strings and all those various oily substances which keep em looking new.

ELECTRONICS - I'll pick up a new smartphone, a new laptop for work and high-end components/peripherals for my gaming PC. These things are typically cheaper on amazon or newegg than anywhere in Thailand.

TOILETRIES - The replaceable parts for my philips sonicare toothbrush and philips norelco shaver are overpriced here. My cologne is also overpriced and my GF uses a specific toothpaste which isn't even sold here. Actually, this category is mostly for her. All her female stuff (lotions, cosmetics, lipstick, etc.) is pretty expensive so buying in the states can save hundreds of dollars vs buying here. You could easily "go native" with all your bathroom stuff, however, if you're not picky.

CLOTHING - Same as with shoes and socks. The brands, styles and sizes I want are either impossible to find or ridiculously overpriced in Thailand. I don't know about underwear, though. I could never understand why men would wear underwear. It's worth noting that getting clothing and shoes tailored or repaired is insanely cheap in Thailand.

ACCESSORIES - Leather belts, brand-name sunglasses and quality automatic watches are all cheaper on amazon than in Thailand. That said, you won't find anything back home like the 100% silk items (ties, pocket squares, lady scarves, etc.) sold by Jim Thompson in Thailand. If you're gay a fashionable male or female, you might also want to bring some fancy brand-name bags and wallets, too.

COOKWARE - My GF likes to cook and high-quality cookware is very expensive here. You don't actually need a kitchen, though. It's easy to eat out cheaply. What's hard is to limit your intake.

SUPPLEMENTS - I'm gonna raid a GNC when I get back.

PERSONAL ITEMS - Easily-concealed self-defense weapons. Pickled jalapenos. Stubb's BBQ sauce. A real cowboy hat. Guacamole. Beef jerky. Pecans. Pecan pie. Tequila.

I think my father told me 2 jokes in my entire life time that made me laugh. I am now 54 years old and have always hoped I would never become an old man telling old man jokes but hope people would find them funny.

The so called jokes on this thread have confirmed my fears. Old people really shouldnt try and be funny because it just dont work.

I have news for you,you've inherited your Father's not-being-funny and grumpiness unfortunately,better luck next time (if you're Buddhist that is)!