ATM Charge going up

Have not seen this here but on trip adviser one post mentioned that the ATM charge was going up from 200 to 250 baht from August.

Is this correct? and if so can we look forward to this "tax on farang tourists" rising on an annual basis and where will they stop, 500, 1000 etc?

I've seen it mentioned on a couple of other small websites recently but don't know if it is just repeating what was on posted on TA which seems unsourced. Wait and see I guess.

I stopped making ATM withdrawals when it was 150 baht per transaction. With my Australian bank, a 20,000 baht ATM withdrawal would currently be about $760, add-on my Australian bank overseas transaction fee of 3% =$22.80, add-on a 250 baht Thai bank charge =$9.50 and you are looking at paying A$32.30 or a 4.25% fee to withdraw your money. Currently I can transfer instantly from my Australian bank to my Thai bank up to A$20k for A$22. Lots of other ways depending on where you come from. For a tourist, 250 baht per withdrawal is nuts when you add on the other charges many people have to pay. Cash is king and going to be even more so soon if this charge is implemented.

It isn't the same at all ATMs at the moment, not even those owned by the same bank. I've been charged 180 baht at an SCB ATM machine outside a 7/11 and 200 baht from the same bank's ATM in another location recently. I'm not sure if my memory is faulty but I'm sure I was charged 220 baht somewhere else a few months ago.

That would make it among the highest, if not the highest, in the world. Some liar is going to claim it costs $10 in "America" or 8 euros in Paris or something, but it's just not the case. I was Amsterdam a few weeks ago and I was only charged 3 euros. Banks in many countries, especially countries in Africa, still charge nothing at all to make withdrawals.

Edited by BudRight

No ATM charge if you get cash over the counter inside the bank. That includes mall banks.

Very rare that banks do this these days, what debit card do you have? when was the last time you did this? tried a few times with my UK debit cards, always a NO

Maybe I am wrong, we need more imput from anyone thats been successful, but doubtful

if this is true it will be the straw that breaks the cammels back for me and i would not be supprised if many others vote with their feet, i will transfer a monthly amount to my thai bank and they can put it up as much as they want,

the fee is around 14 quid per 1000 pounds and as I am paying 4 quid for 300 pounds already it will be time to move on.

What really sucks is that this only possible because of collusion between the banks and the government. If private ATMs were legal, they could massively undercut the market through competition. What we have now is textbook crony capitalism.

Edited by BudRight

It is like many taxes in Thailand thy increase but nothing gets better as a result. I remember when the airport tax was Baht 20 then it increased up to Baht 500 and now goodness only knows how much it is as it is in the ticket price.

Curious to know what the ATM fee is in Vietnam.

Varies from bank to bank I think but I recall it being between 30,000 VND and 50,000 VND last time I was there, at the machines I used at least.

For people not well acquainted with VND that is between 50 and 80 baht.

Tourists should do their research befor travelling and make other arrangements such as travelers cheques or pre paid cards. Ex Pats should really have a Thai bank, over counter withdrawls or even Western Union transfers for only £2.90 bank-bank 5 days.

Tourists should do their research befor travelling and make other arrangements such as travelers cheques or pre paid cards. Ex Pats should really have a Thai bank, over counter withdrawls or even Western Union transfers for only £2.90 bank-bank 5 days.

Tourists should think how much pocketmoney they need and take a considerable amount in cash.

Cash [major currencies] beats all (as @kkerry already wrote in #3).

When I started with ATM withdrawals in 2011 it was free at AEON (long gone).

Then I used a German card that reimbursed the then 150 Baht. Bank stopped this since this month.

Fortunately I have no need to withdraw home currency for quite a time.

The "Transferwise" service sounds like a good idea (no actual foreign transfer involved).

But at a certain threshold it seems to be more expensive than a conventional SWIFT transfer.

Maybe in the future I will ask reliable(!) mates to bring cash instead of coffee biggrin.png

(free transfer of Euros in home country via internet banking)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Do these fees ATM withdrawal fees apply to Thai bank debit cards?

It applies to foreign credit and debit cards.

Currently 200 Baht with a few exceptions (some Chinese bank or so with 50 Baht).

No ATM charge if you get cash over the counter inside the bank. That includes mall banks.

Very rare that banks do this these days, what debit card do you have? when was the last time you did this? tried a few times with my UK debit cards, always a NO

Maybe I am wrong, we need more imput from anyone thats been successful, but doubtful

When AEON started charging an ATM fee, I gave Over The Counter withdraw a try using my (USA) Schwab Bank Visa debit card inside my home branch of Bangkok Bank. They agreed, and I did 2 OTCs each month until very recently, when I shifted over to internet ACH transfers via BB's New York branch.

Don't Western Union offer appalling exchange rates?

Thai Military Bank- zero charge for ATM withdrawals and get withdraw at virtually any other bank- zero charge

What overseas ATM card are you using at Thai Military Bank that has zero charges?

Thai Military Bank- zero charge for ATM withdrawals and get withdraw at virtually any other bank- zero charge

Wrong. We are talking about foreign debit cards. And when used at TMB = 200 bht fee ( I know because I use TMB).

Last time I checked it was still free to withdraw cash from Citi bank ATMs (there are 3 in Bangkok) - but apparently it only works for cards issued in certain countries. Fine for UK bank card-holders.

Bank of China as well does not charge for withdrawals, though there are only a few ATM's in BKK and one in Khonkaen me thinks. They only accept MASTER CARD , not VISA or CIRRUS, and not all cards are working. Out of three Master cards, a friend of mine and myself own, two are working while one is never accepted.

There is an ATM at Mega Bangna (next to the AEON outlet, ground floor), Ratchada and Sathorn. google for it, the locations are listed on Bank of China's Thai website (in English)