So Frustrated With Tt&t

girlx

I have TT&T Maxnet service (512 kbps). Not only is it rarely up to speed, but recently I only have service about 2 days per week. I live in Surat Thani province and apparently they are having problems with their servers there. When I call they always say "it will be fixed in an hour" but it is usually more like 12 hours. What is the problem? Why can't they get their act together? What causes the server to go down just about every freaking day? It is rainy season here but a relatively mild one so far! I work on the internet for companies in the US and have missed a couple of important meetings this week alone because there is no ADSL signal. And on top of that, I tried to use dial up, buying a prepaid T-Net (TT&T dial up) card, and that does not work either- it can not get a connection to the remote computer. I called for support and they said it was either my modem or my line, but I have 2 computers with 2 perfectly functioning modems and my phone line works fine! The dial up only stops working when the ADSL stop working so I am guessing it is some sort of network problem there too!

What options do I have? Is there another ISP that is more reliable that I can use on a TT&T line? Is there anyone I can complain to that will listen? I know it is not only me with this problem- the internet cafe in my village has been closed for a week because of this too.

If you buy a prepaid dial-up card as a backup to the adsl, just make sure you use another isp than you are using for the adsl. It is likely that if the isp has problems with their adsl, dial-up won't work too...

However, from what i have read the last few months about adsl isp's here in thailand, they are all a little bit like 'if it is not working today, it maybe works tomorrow'...

Another option is to get a leased line. They will guarantee the availability and speed, but it costs much more (approx. ~B400'000.-- p.a.)

:o

It is the standard "disease" of any of the "home" packages...

You can get prettty much ant ISP on a TT&T line, just go to your TT&T office, cancel the current package you have and take another. (Ji-net, Csloxinfo,...)

I completely have given up on the cheaper packages and always go for the more expensive "small SME" packages.

I'm on TT&T's Maxnet@life package at several locations, and am happy with it. Average monthly downtime maybe an hour, and speeds range between 80 and 95% of rated speed.

1550 Baht/month for 256/128 and 2500 Baht/month for 512/256 speeds...

I have TT&T Maxnet service (512 kbps). Not only is it rarely up to speed, but recently I only have service about 2 days per week. I live in Surat Thani province and apparently they are having problems with their servers there. When I call they always say "it will be fixed in an hour" but it is usually more like 12 hours. What is the problem? Why can't they get their act together? What causes the server to go down just about every freaking day? It is rainy season here but a relatively mild one so far! I work on the internet for companies in the US and have missed a couple of important meetings this week alone because there is no ADSL signal. And on top of that, I tried to use dial up, buying a prepaid T-Net (TT&T dial up) card, and that does not work either- it can not get a connection to the remote computer. I called for support and they said it was either my modem or my line, but I have 2 computers with 2 perfectly functioning modems and my phone line works fine! The dial up only stops working when the ADSL stop working so I am guessing it is some sort of network problem there too!

What options do I have? Is there another ISP that is more reliable that I can use on a TT&T line? Is there anyone I can complain to that will listen? I know it is not only me with this problem- the internet cafe in my village has been closed for a week because of this too.

Girlx

try to ping a known IP address next time your down. If you can ping it then its telling you there is a DNS server problem at TOT/TTT and not a Network connectivity issue. I have this same problem in Chiang Mai sometimes. Add a different Thailand DNS server to your DNS properties and this apparent shortage will greatly decrease.

thanks, i'll try that. where would i find a list of thailand DNS servers?

also, this is weird- i can't connect via dial up to ANY isp! tried 4. my modem works and has an updated driver (on both my laptops), and my phone line is ok (can call the servers and get the fax noise), just can not connect to any of them. any idea why that would be? worked fine a week ago when i tried in bangkok.

thanks, i'll try that. where would i find a list of thailand DNS servers?

also, this is weird- i can't connect via dial up to ANY isp! tried 4. my modem works and has an updated driver (on both my laptops), and my phone line is ok (can call the servers and get the fax noise), just can not connect to any of them. any idea why that would be? worked fine a week ago when i tried in bangkok.

not aware of any list. Takes some detective work. Get to know your local IAX (internet access exchange topology). Where does the Fiber go from your local IAX? To BKK? etc. Find out what other providers are using IAX's upstream of you. Might be able to use other ISP providers DNS servers in BKK or somewhere in between.

To figure those out learn the Whois and Dig commands. Also there are web front ends for less technical folks. Try www.dnsstuff.com

Takes a little skill or luck but changing your DNS servers are adding fall over servers can really help.

Can ask other people in your region what DNS server they are getting via DHCP. Might be different from yours.

for example a nslookup indicates TOT domain uses a Name server of

Name: ns.tnet.co.th

Address: 203.146.0.30

You might try that as a fall over server in your network setup.

Good luck