Dual pricing isaan

Rc2702

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had it happen a few times here in the 8 years I have been here in Isaan, but not near as much as in a certain country across the Mekong. I think those who say that it doesn't happen to them maybe just don't see it, it has also probably happened to me more than I know.

But I have also had people here go out of their way to save me money and had people stop me and let me know when I have dropped money and given it back to me.

Trust me, I am so Thai but still get ripped of by Thai! We can call capitalist unregulated since there are no enforcing in marking the prices on merchants we brought! So try with 7/11, tessco they mark all their prices on their merchants! And many Thai do not has senses of prices what they buy(no informations, did not do a research etc.) they also got rip off.

I did not say we must accept it but this can happen.

I disagree. Recently we had an English lady visitng.

She went to a local shop to buy a small bottle of cola, she was charged 18 baht.

She told me, i went to the same shop, same man charged me 12 baht for the same cola.

That evening my wife asked him why did you do that, answer she farang.

Wife said my husband is farang, yes but he local and shops here every week.

What happened next?

We are all totally wetting our pants to find out what happened next - almost as good as the 'lady Kai' saga .

Mmm 6 Baht - I suppose the cheap Charlie's could live for a month on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before the fee was 20 baht for both thai and farlang at the tower in Mukdahan. Today it's 30 baht for thai and 50 baht for farlang. They explained to me that they had been told to do so.

attachicon.gifIMG_0341 (2).JPG

When i went up a few years ago,the money collector prompt me to show d/l and got Thai price.Luckily i have done most tourist things years ago and don't do the tourist price thing.When friends visit,they go by themselves.

Before the fee was 20 baht for both thai and farlang at the tower in Mukdahan. Today it's 30 baht for thai and 50 baht for farlang. They explained to me that they had been told to do so.

They'll probably lose money this way, should have left it as it was.

It's not really worth 30 Baht, let alone 50 Baht, but that 50 Baht will just pizz off a few Farangs who will see the injustice and not go up the tower, tell the wife and entourage to get in the car and go elsewhere, then again, it's not just white Farangs, maybe they are targetting groups, chinese etc.

Chinese in Mukdahan,not for a long time yet.Issan is a Chin Free Zone.

After 4 one month trips, I am pleased to say that I have only been charged Farang pricing twice, both times at attractions where the terms where clearly stated. No problem!

Like a member stated earlier, we foreigners have much more money and come here to enjoy their land. Big deal.

I also take great pleasure in tipping those who deserve it for their fine service.

It's not really worth 30 Baht, let alone 50 Baht, but that 50 Baht will just pizz off a few Farangs who will see the injustice and not go up the tower, tell the wife and entourage to get in the car and go elsewhere, then again, it's not just white Farangs, maybe they are targetting groups, chinese etc.

i have seen a few indians here lately - as in - from india, not north america (i wish).

my previous barber here in t.p. used to charge me extra. he had a sign in his shop stating thb 70 for a hair cut and he'd also shave the face and cut nose hair and tend to the ears of his thai customers. i just got a machine trim and he wanted thb 100. ??? you farang, big head! (i have!)

got a new barber now, still have to slump down in the seat for him to reach my balding top, but it's back to thb 70.

I stayed for a year in Utraditt. The city was ok but once out in the village markets I would just sit in the truck and let the wife buy what she needed

because they would over charge both of us if I was around.

The biggest thing to be aware of is not the dual pricing, its getting the correct change back.

My experience is somewhat different. I live in Roiet and when visiting a tourist attraction I have my Thai licence ready to show. On more than a couple of occasions they have looked at it and given me a discount from the Thai price because of my age. Last week at Play la Pleong outside Burriram I paid 80 baht whist the wife was charged 120 baht.

I've never had this happen anywhere I've lived in Thailand. Isaan, Bangkok, the central mountain area... ???

you should use the local taxi's,the vendors that sell prawns in the markets with dodgy scales, and not forgetting the pet welfare doctors [VETS] mind you its not rearly dual pricing but TRIPLE.

Our vet is very reasonable puppy dual rabies jab 50 bht had to take older dog down to hin constant vomiting given two anti sickness jab and yearly booster 125 bht. Many be you vet don't like you???

I disagree. Recently we had an English lady visitng.

She went to a local shop to buy a small bottle of cola, she was charged 18 baht.

She told me, i went to the same shop, same man charged me 12 baht for the same cola.

That evening my wife asked him why did you do that, answer she farang.

Wife said my husband is farang, yes but he local and shops here every week.

But there again I haven't come across a thread that you agree with yet. ???

We live in hope and die in despair.

i have seen a few indians here lately - as in - from india, not north america (i wish).

my previous barber here in t.p. used to charge me extra. he had a sign in his shop stating thb 70 for a hair cut and he'd also shave the face and cut nose hair and tend to the ears of his thai customers. i just got a machine trim and he wanted thb 100. ??? you farang, big head! (i have!)

got a new barber now, still have to slump down in the seat for him to reach my balding top, but it's back to thb 70.

I get charged the Thai price for a haircut, but Ive never been offered the ears, nose, & eyebrow trim extras.....not that it bothers me. Mind you, I do have a beard so maybe it's all or nothing.......'The computer says no!' lol........555.

My experience is somewhat different. I live in Roiet and when visiting a tourist attraction I have my Thai licence ready to show. On more than a couple of occasions they have looked at it and given me a discount from the Thai price because of my age. Last week at Play la Pleong outside Burriram I paid 80 baht whist the wife was charged 120 baht.

How old are you.......103? lol.

Not related to Isaan but I was travelling last week and had to pay farrang price in some places (Sam roi yot/chiang mai). But I got Thai price at others (particularly Guiburi). I had already accepted we were going to be overcharged so I was pleasantly surprised. I even had a tuk tuk ride in bkk for 100baht.

What I find does work to my advantage is local sellers of food. I always get more rice, noodles, or meat on my plate than others around me as they want me to be happy and full.

One of my wife's friend, a neighbor opened a small restaurant in a local roadside food court. I went there with my disabled son, The people she employed, all Cambodians, overcharged me by about 120 baht on the meal. After a few months they told her they were going back to Cambodia and buggered off. Leaving her in the lurch and forcing her to close. I go to lots of fresh market food and beverage stalls locally, local vendors for fresh and prepared food, take away and eat in. Never been overcharged anywhere else. In fact, most are really pleased I eat everything and willing to try things.

I wonder how many more overcharges are down to enterprising staff trying to line their own pockets rather than the boss's policy.

I agree totally with dual pricing for places of worship and national parks, it's simply down to elasticity (will tourist come back v thai) majority of tourists are t-shirt collectors, simply ticking boxes of what they have done where they have been there decision to return will not be based on the dual price.a thai will likely return to place many times for their beliefs (worship) and proximity (national parks).

Restaurants, buses, everything else is awful as they lining their pockets for sake of it whereas the national parks and places of worship serve a better purpose.

Price discrimination exists everywhere not just thailand.

A discount card is price discriminative but it adopts exactly the same strategy as the parks and temples and is widely accepted. Perhaps if thailand was a bit more transparent about why (for national parks & worship) and tackled enterprises trying to adopt dual pricing. Everyone would understand, accept and it would be a non starter?

Student discount.

OAP discount

Frequent flyer

Expats, whilst not tourists are treated like they are but it's a small price to pay for happiness I think and would not deter me from visiting anywhere with a dual price.

It is wrong this elevated price if you are not Thai. Since all the increases I will not visit places in Thailand. If I want to visit somewhere I will go out of country. Contrary to what Thai's appear to believe there are just as many and more things to see in other countries and you don't get the ridiculous price hikes. It is a big world and Thailand is a very small part of it.

i am actually happy to not have the ear and nose thing done with some implement that has been inserted into the orifices of a range of thai compatriots who could possibly be infected with a multitude of transmittable diseases.

it was just a post outlining a comparison...

i am actually happy to not have the ear and nose thing done with some implement that has been inserted into the orifices of a range of thai compatriots who could possibly be infected with a multitude of transmittable diseases.

I don't think there are any diseases that can be transferred by tweezers.

I don't think there are any diseases that can be transferred by tweezers.

where on earth have you lived for the past few 50 years? wasn't Florence Nightingale british?

you can not possibly be serious posting such uneducated...

I occasionally get ripped off in local markets (Kantharalak and Ubon) when buying fruits, veg and meat, but it's only a matter of a few satang generally.

I always ask the price before they start stuffing in a bag. Maybe once every couple of months I will give them a dirty look when its say 20% over the price it should be, issue a snorted 'paeng' and walk off. Usually I can sense form their reaction that they know that I know that they just tried to overcharge a falang.

Meat ladies almost always give short weight in Kantharalak fresh market, but they probably do that to everyone! I haven't quite got round to taking electronic scales with me but I've thought about it a few times. I suspect I'm well enough known that the story would get around quickly and I suspect they would run me out of towntongue.png

You buy meat in a market ? Have you not read all the reports lately how most meats are covered in banned preservatives to keep it looking fresh, have lived here several years in hospital three times food poisening, cured me of markets, buy a deep freeze shop at big c or Makro for all meat products.

In my 10 yr experience Esaan dual pricing is infrequent and small scale.

BUT beware of tipping......I used to regularly have an Archaa or 2 in a night market watching all the lovelies go by. The price for ages was 45thb. One nght I had one and when I went to pay I deduced from the proprietress that the price of Archaa had increased to 47 or 48thb. So I gave her 50thb, declined the change with a smile and walked away. Big mistake! From then on the price for an Archaa was 50thb.......lol.

Thanks for info , this is really too , much of a rip off , 48 bht , really .

Tipping ? , whatever next , take care out there , CC,s .

I lucky , i only drink Fedabrau beer , only 95 in local market ,

@ farlang establishments , 120 bht , dual pricing , at its worse . sad.png

Edited by elliss

I agree. Haven't suffered the dreaded dual price at all in my area.

Personally , i agree with dual pricing

We are farlangs , Alien , / foreigener . have much more money than Thai people , who rightly resent us .

Why do many thai lady want farlang darling , and not thai darling . ? Dual pricing . at it,s best . wai2.gif

Time that your wife charge you!!! Her Thai boyfriend f..k free and you pay 20.000 THB the month!!!

In my 10 yr experience Esaan dual pricing is infrequent and small scale.

BUT beware of tipping......I used to regularly have an Archaa or 2 in a night market watching all the lovelies go by. The price for ages was 45thb. One nght I had one and when I went to pay I deduced from the proprietress that the price of Archaa had increased to 47 or 48thb. So I gave her 50thb, declined the change with a smile and walked away. Big mistake! From then on the price for an Archaa was 50thb.......lol.

Thanks for info , this is really too , much of a rip off , 48 bht , really .

Tipping ? , whatever next , take care out there , CC,s .

I lucky , i only drink Fedabrau beer , only 95 in local market ,

@ farlang establishments , 120 bht , dual pricing , at its worse . sad.png

.....But you must expect to pay more when you get your testicles tickled under the table by a ladyboy.....biggrin.png