Bitdefender 8 Free Edition

Taggart

When I'm running the free edition of BitDefender, I've noticed that it spews out some files onto my screen, "get file, x_dtrace_log, and numerous files that end with _kds; i.e. 00E379C8_kds. After doing a search on these files, I found out that it's a bug in the program, though nothing serious to get concerned about. Is anyone else using the program encountering this problem? I'm finding it such a nuisance to delete the files afterwards, that I'm thinking of getting rid of this program.

When I'm running the free edition of BitDefender, I've noticed that it spews out some files onto my screen, "get file, x_dtrace_log, and numerous files that end with _kds; i.e. 00E379C8_kds. After doing a search on these files, I found out that it's a bug in the program, though nothing serious to get concerned about. Is anyone else using the program encountering this problem? I'm finding it such a nuisance to delete the files afterwards, that I'm thinking of getting rid of this program.

Bit defender is one of the best in it's paid edition but the freebie is really hamstrung. AVG just had a major bug found in it so I'd recommend Avast for free antiviruses. If you want paid my first recommendation is nod32 $39 after 30 day trial http://www.eset.com/ or the paid version of Bitdefender.

AVG just had a major bug found in it so I'd recommend Avast for free antiviruses.

That's ironic. I just ran AVG free last night. Took over five hours on my five + year old PC. Didn't know there was a bug in the AVG free program. At your suggestion, will take a look at Avast. Thanks.

Didn't have this problem but Bitdefender's update doesn't work at all for me. It says it found updates (for the virus def files), then proceeds to download the files which seems to work, then says "error updating". And that's that. Repeat ad infinitum.

Disappointing! Doesn't really entice me to buy the full version...

I went to download Avast free, but it noticed that I had Symantec anti-virus and there might be conflicts, so I replied "no" to the installation. I was supposed to renew my subscription with Symantec a few days ago, but let it lapse, since I wasn't interested anymore. I've heard it's a real headache to remove, so had plans to just leave the program on my computer. Ahhh well. At least I still have AVG free.

I went to download Avast free, but it noticed that I had Symantec anti-virus and there might be conflicts, so I replied "no" to the installation. I was supposed to renew my subscription with Symantec a few days ago, but let it lapse, since I wasn't interested anymore. I've heard it's a real headache to remove, so had plans to just leave the program on my computer. Ahhh well. At least I still have AVG free.

Running AVG and Norton together is a recipie for disaster. Boot into safe mode, unistall the overly intrusive resource hogging Norton and then pick another AV (preferably not AVG as it's had some really bad test scores).

Results from http://antivirus.about.com/ tests;

If we left spyware/adware removal out of the mix and focused only on the scanner's ability to detect traditional virus threats, out of a possible 125.6 points, AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic scored 94, AVAST 4 Home Edition scored 89, and AVG Free Edition scored 66. However, when we included adware/spyware removal in the judging, the results were dismal, with AVAST scoring highest at 66 points, AntiVir following at 58, and AVG with only 30.

Edited by cdnvic

hi'

AVG will stop it's free version in january 2007, so for free AV, go for Avast, and if you want to pay a bit to be sure to be well protected, take Bitdefender, not the suite, the home edition antivirus only :o

here : http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-2145-en...ivirus-v10.html

I use it in paid version since version 8, I'll never turn back to any other else :D

francois

hi'

AVG will stop it's free version in january 2007

WRONG.

It is the old 7.1 free version that is no longer supported after Jan 2007.

The newer, better 7.5 will still be there.

See the Grisoft Site for details and how

to download AVG 7.5.

Still the best free virus check that money can buy. :o

hi nice to hear the news about avg scores rate.

I said before in this forum that avg worth nothing mostly he not detect the viruses (I had seriouse virus before..) and just give u stupid messege that he clear everything or that he didnt found anything.

I have avast..also not so impressive..but OK.

Do u think that combination of bitdefender8(free)+ Free-alarm-zone

is a good decision?

*How do u deal with all the messeges that alarmzone gives you..?

this software always need to set-uo and add permission to new softwares that being installed (sometimes people dont know what to press as they dont have knowledge in computers..my costumers for example..).

:o

INSTEAD OF USING TWO PROGRAMS WHICH USUALLY INTERFERE EACH OTHER, I RECOMMEND YOU TO USE EITHER BITDEFENDER INTERNET SECURITY OR KASPERSKY INTERNET SECURITY.

BOTH ARE GREAT AND PROTECT EVERYTHING.

to download AVG 7.5.

Still the best free virus check that money can buy. :D

It's consistantly poor test results notwithstanding. :o

AVG is the Hotmail of free antivirus. If people used their heads and looked around a bit they'd find many products that are superior.

Edited by cdnvic

Running AVG and Norton together is a recipie for disaster. Boot into safe mode, unistall the overly intrusive resource hogging Norton and then pick another AV (preferably not AVG as it's had some really bad test scores).

Results from http://antivirus.about.com/ tests;

If we left spyware/adware removal out of the mix and focused only on the scanner's ability to detect traditional virus threats, out of a possible 125.6 points, AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic scored 94, AVAST 4 Home Edition scored 89, and AVG Free Edition scored 66. However, when we included adware/spyware removal in the judging, the results were dismal, with AVAST scoring highest at 66 points, AntiVir following at 58, and AVG with only 30.

I downloaded the Norton Removal Tool, found at the Symantec site, and used that to offload the anti-virus program. After a re-boot, then downloaded Avast. After installation, ran a scan which came up clean. Many thanks for the advice.