Oil painting from photograph

Guderian

I've got a few photographs that I'd like to have as oil paintings. They're not big, around A4 format. Can anyone recommend a shop with an artist who can do this?

I remember 10 years ago travelling into Pattaya from Jomtien on the Baht Bus there seemed to be numerous small galleries with artists sitting there, a photo stuck by the side of their canvas, converting it into an oil painting, but you don't seem to see that nowadays.

Anyway, if you've had this done recently and are happy with the results I'd like to hear where to go. Thx in advance for any help.

Wing Gallery at the bottom of Thappraya Rd on the corner. It is open fronted.

Thanks, but can you be a bit more specific on the location? Do you mean the Jomtien or Pattaya end of Thappraya, and which side of the road, east or west?

I went to the guy who is 100yds down Theppasit, on the right, coming from Sukhumvit traffic lights just before the car was, he did 3 paintings for me copied from pictures, excellent jobpost-9381-0-88241600-1468649624_thumb.pn

theres art st next to mikes, if you stroll down there you might find someone whos style you like

Easily the best place to go, with a large choice of artists / painters.

OK, thanks. Is it on the Beach Road or the Second Road side of Mike's?

It is between second road and beach road on the north side of mikes, past the fruit sellers from second road, you will be sure to find what you need or want there and feel free to negotiate, there are about 20 artists give or take and their reproduction talent is impressive to any neophyte, oh and the prices, amazing compared to the west.

theres art st next to mikes, if you stroll down there you might find someone whos style you like

The soi,/ lane runs all he way down the side of Mikes shopping mall between beach road and 2nd road.

Take note... it is a narrow siding, rather than a Soi.

Edited by Pdavies99

It is between second road and beach road on the north side of mikes, past the fruit sellers from second road, you will be sure to find what you need or want there and feel free to negotiate, there are about 20 artists give or take and their reproduction talent is impressive to any neophyte, oh and the prices, amazing compared to the west.

The soi,/ lane runs all he way down the side of Mikes shopping mall between beach road and 2nd road.

Take note... it is a narrow siding, rather than a Soi.

Thanks, I'd have been looking in completely the wrong places if you hadn't told me that.

Easiest to find from beach road.

Small path left of Mike.

(between Mike and adjacent plot of Nautical Inn hotel)

Only for walking and motorbike.

Many tattoo artists and painters.

I walked up and down this path a hundred times or more.

Shortest walk from 2nd rd. (Soi Diana) to beach rd. if you don't fancy to walk through Mike.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You can actually do that with software eg the free FotoSketcher makes a decent attempt at that in just one click. All you have to do is scan in the photo and play around with it until you get a decent result.
If you like the result, you could then take it to a printers and have it printed out and framed.
http://fotosketcher.com/

You can actually do that with software eg the free FotoSketcher makes a decent attempt at that in just one click. All you have to do is scan in the photo and play around with it until you get a decent result.

If you like the result, you could then take it to a printers and have it printed out and framed.

Great to learn that they have oil paint printers now.

Great to learn that they have oil paint printers now.

They do actually.

http://www.designboom.com/art/oce-3d-printer-creates-identical-reproductions-of-fine-art-paintings-09-30-2013/

photoshop, print on canvas, clear vanish for some brush strokes, and it will look as real as a painting

I happened to notice when I was last back in the UK that there was a place in one of the shopping malls that would print out an oil-effect painting on canvas while you waited. I assume you just took a jpg file of the photo on a USB stick. The cost for A4 size was £20, so I thought I'd see if I could get the real thing done more cheaply in Pattaya.

I thought I saw a poster saying "A4 Portrait in 24 Hours - 3.000 Baht" Possibly at the studio just under the flyover coming down from Jomtien. I have bought a few paintings from here and found the people very friendly - and will drop the price without haggling.

Another question about the artists in the alleyway next to Mike's. If I take a picture along on a USB stick as a jpg file rather than a hard copy do they have access to a PC or tablet they can use?

They seem to spend most of their time 'glued' to their monitors. However they use a hard copy to work from.

Thanks. I've got some actual photos that I'd like to have converted but also a few images off the internet. Printing them out seldom gives a really good match to the colours in the actual image file.