Do I need to get another rabies vac?

davidst01

Near a week ago I was bitten by my dog playing a rough game with him using a stick. He was a previous soi dog. Recently he had his 2nd year of rabies vacinations at the vet. He’s had booster shots on both occasions.

Ive had several rabies vac’s myself in the past as Ive been bitten a few times in my life. I work with dogs.

2 yrs ago I had a rabies immunology blood test which came back at mid 20’s IU/ml , that meaning that I already have immunity. The normal value should be more than 0.5 IU/ml.

When I was bitten 6 days ago I washed it off immediately with water and car wash liquid and then found some antiseptic liquid.

I read a comment from another thread on this forum:

‘’ Anyone who is exposed- and just to an infected animal's saliva may be enough- needs to begin the prophylactic injections within 24 hours- it is a 97% death rate otherwise."

Typically a dog that bites someone is quarantined for 10 days. If it still alive, no rabies are assumed, and no further treatment is usually needed. If you don't know where the dog lives, or are unable to quarantine it, then treatment might be started.

If it dies during that time the brain is examined for rabies. Sometimes the doctor will have the patient start the rabies shots before the exam is completed, just in case, but not always. So saying that you need to start the injections within 24 hours is a bit of scare tactic.

If in doubt, start the treatment your doctor recommends’’

_______

My dog is healthy and normal and thus should I thus not have to proceed with a booster vac? Is it too late to get a vac 6 days on?

I just read this website:

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/medical_care/

which states that if previously vacinnated then HDCV or PCECV 1.0 mL, IM (deltoid area†), 1 each on days 0§ and 3 should be given but not Human rabies immune globulin (HRIG)

Based on the above info do you think that I need to get a booster vac? Obviously its a bit daft of me to be asking at this late stage but it happened a day prior to going away...

Edited by Rimmer
Font size

Since the bite was from your own dogwhom you know for a fact to be vaccinated (and presumably also know to have not been acting in any way unusual) IMO no need for vaccination...especially since there was obvious reason gor the bite (rough play). It is when a bite is sustained from an unvaccinated dog or one whose vaccination status cannot be determined that immunization is necessary.

This assumes you know the dog's vaccine was effective (it's not always effective in all dogs). As this WHO publication states:

"Do you have to take vaccination against
rabies if a vaccinated dog bites you?

"No, not if the dog is properly vaccinated against
rabies and the efficacy of the vaccine is confirmed
by laboratory evidence
. Otherwise an appropriate
post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) should be given."

http://www.who.int/rabies/resources/SEA_CD_278_FAQs_Rabies.pdf

Rabies shots are so cheap in Thailand I'd get it done just for peace of mind. On the other hand, you are near the ten-day observation limit on the dog.

Thanks for your replies. I don't understand what the 10 rule refers to be honest.

Based on the fact that he has had 2 yrs of rabies vac and boosters I think I will not proceed. Especially considering my antibody titer is high at 25. Obviously I hope that I'm making the correct decision

Edited by davidst01

Thanks for your replies. I don't understand what the 10 rule refers to be honest.

Based on the fact that he has had 2 yrs of rabies vac and boosters I think I will not proceed. Especially considering my antibody titer is high at 25. Obviously I hope that I'm making the correct decision

I sincerely wish you the best and that being said, you are certainly less risk adverse then I am.

If you are foaming at the mouth and digging around in garbage cans it may be a good Idea to see your doctor...especially if you are howling at the moon...

Just joking of course...but actually I have been bitten by a dog here in Thailand that I thought could have had rabies, maybe?? and I was bitten by a monkey here in Bangkok that could have had rabies.

Both times I took antibiotic shots and 10 days worth of antibiotics but no specific drugs while I was confident that neither the dog nor the monkey had rabies but still I went to the hospital for the dog bite and a clinic for the monkey bite and did what I could and let the doctors give me what they said was helpful...and kept my fingers crossed...and nothing at all happened...fortunately.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Why don't you just ask a doctor ? Instead of tv armchair know it Alls , rabies is one hell of a serious problem go down with it because you ask strangers for advice, you deserve what you get, this post is meant seriously.