Thailand-UK to open FTA, attracting big companies’ investment in Thailand

webfact

Just think . All those expensive imported Waitrose food products in Central/Tops stores currently with 100% "luxury" tariffs could be accessible in 2 years, and other UK companies free from the EU shackles. Opportunities are boundless. Take note "Remainiac" deniers! The EU project is beginning a slow death!

We are told that the high prices relate to tariffs but I am sceptical : just what is the profit margin on those luxury items such as cheese, chocolate, other dairy? For example, Lindt chocolate available in Bangkok costs 139 Baht ( made in Switzerland); the identical bar costs on average 60-65 Baht in Australia( made in the US). Identical taste, packaging. Yes, Australia is a bigger market with some economies of scale ...but a 100% plus difference? I bring my own, 20 bars at a time. Same with nuts. Cheese: outrageous prices.

I guess that would vary between selling organizations here. Some would take the opportunity to stick a few extra % on to increase tax others may be not. I know Swiss Army Knives are around 60% more expensive in Thailand than UK due to the import tax. Or you can by a self destruct Chinese knock off that is a blunt as butter and falls to bits in a few weeks for a fraction of the price!

If Thailand is serious about developing then a whole range of laws, their enforcement and changes in practice needs to happen. Can't see a FTA driving that somehow.

Really? The UK is prepared to enter into trade agreements with a totalatarian state -I don.t think so!

There is no mention of a totalitarian state.

In regard to Thailand, the EU, US, Australia, NZ, Canada, Japan and South Korea all trade and sign agreements with Thailand. The current main EU member countries are very active in Thailand with regard to business, culture and academia.

You are probably correct to say you don't think though.

it is my belief, that until the EU ruling of article 50 has been activated, and run its full coarse ( meaning the UK has finally broken the tether ), the Uk has no rights to enter into any trade talks.with any potential trade partners, as they are technically still a member of the EU.

it is my belief, that until the EU ruling of article 50 has been activated, and run its full coarse ( meaning the UK has finally broken the tether ), the Uk has no rights to enter into any trade talks.with any potential trade partners, as they are technically still a member of the EU.

nonsense! The new trade minister Liam Fox is actively talking to numerous countries. EU can't stop "talks"