Video: Car flees accident scene and ignores red light for good measure

webfact

Video: Car flees accident scene and ignores red light for good measure

s5.jpg
Image: Thairath

RATCHABURI: -- An online Thai accident video has been doing the rounds being viewed 200,000 times. The clip - recorded on the dash cam of a man not directly involved - shows the aftermath of a minor collision between a pick-up and a black car.

As the occupants of the pick-up emerge to survey the damage to the side of the vehicle and talk to the car driver the black vehicle dashes off. The pick-up driver tries to open the door to no avail and is nearly injured.

The car driver following says "I have a camera" and gives chase but loses the black car at the lights when it whizzes through traffic regardless of a red light.

The accident had happened in the Bang Pong area of Ratchaburi at 1.26pm on July 14th, last Thursday.

Bang Pong police said that the car was found two hours later minus the driver in the Nong Pla Mor district and was towed to the station. The driver turned up later and the matter is now being fully investigated.

The clip was posted on the fan page of 'Monster Over Racing Club'.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-19

Ban Pong.

Charges, leaving the scene of an accident. Failing to stop at a red light. Red stop lights here are sometimes regarded as mere hindrances by some people. Stop signs are only suggestions,,not orders.

No doubt several thousand baht have changed hands at the nick.

I hope the silver pickup owner will be compensated and covered by the SUV owner's insurance.

If he damaged my car he would be one injured rich kid. There again maybe he was taking his driving test.

FYI The driving test does not involve driving on the roads in normal traffic. it involves negotiating road cones and being able to stop before a white line at a special road test area off the road.

That wasn't even running a light, that was still "I was close enough to be eligible to still cross that intersection by virtue of my presence"...or so I started to interpret it for the longest time now. Would've been nice to see a police car there as well, just to make it more fun :)

If he damaged my car he would be one injured rich kid. There again maybe he was taking his driving test.

FYI The driving test does not involve driving on the roads in normal traffic. it involves negotiating road cones and being able to stop before a white line at a special road test area off the road.

Obviously an Ozzie. Try to understand sarcasm if you can grasp the concept. I know it isn't in the driving test hence the sarcasm.

unless the car is stolen it should not be difficult to identify the

owner and then after the driver (unless it is the same person)

as the registration number is clearly readable.

running away from the scene is irresponsible, cowardly and it also

illegal.

Friend of mine done a similar thing when he was drunk, told the police he had panicked and feared for his safety, parked the car and went and had a few drinks to calm his nerves, he got away with it too, had to pay for the damage to the other vehicle and give the Police a few Baht, he got away really lightly considering he was drunk as a skunk.

Yes, it was a Farang.

Edited by Broken Record

illegal.

It's Illegal but in certain circumstances it's best to do a runner to the nearest Police Station, especially if you are in the wrong and people have been hurt or worse.

For instance if you were driving through a Village area breaking the speed limit or had been drinking and you knock a pedestrian over, ( Yes I know ThaiVisa members don't drink and drive , ever, right, of course they don't ), if it ain't your area, get to the nearest Police Station as quick as possible, stick around you get yourself seriously hurt, or killed.

I know if you came through my area and had been speeding or obviously you were drunk and killed or seriously hurt someone, my advice would be drive to the nearest Police Station.

illegal.

It's Illegal but in certain circumstances it's best to do a runner to the nearest Police Station, especially if you are in the wrong and people have been hurt or worse.

For instance if you were driving through a Village area breaking the speed limit or had been drinking and you knock a pedestrian over, ( Yes I know ThaiVisa members don't drink and drive , ever, right, of course they don't ), if it ain't your area, get to the nearest Police Station as quick as possible, stick around you get yourself seriously hurt, or killed.

I know if you came through my area and had been speeding or obviously you were drunk and killed or seriously hurt someone, my advice would be drive to the nearest Police Station.

What nonsense! Are you honestly advising people to leave the scene of an accident?!?! That's called a hit and run.

If somebody is driving while under the influence of alcohol, they deserve to have the crap beaten out of them! Absolutely irresponsible.

Tell me, have you ever been to Thailand ?
Yes, I've lived here for 6 years now. How is that relevant or do you believe we all must live here the same lenght of time as you in order to have any experience?

I've also been involved in a road accident here (NO alcohol, drugs, etc. involved) in which a Thai man was fatally injured and nobody tried to harm me. Another bar stool clown talking out of his ar*e. The Thais aren't ALL as bad as some of you portray them to be.

Only a coward runs. I cannot believe you're actually advising people to flee the scene of an accident.

I always make the mistake of expecting MORE from fellow falang, but time and time again somebody like you comes along and proves that my expectations are simply too high.

I think you sir are over-reacting to his post. Are you a part of the neighbourhood watch or an ex-policeman? This is Thailand and you are a farang. Farang have no rights, you can be stitched up good and proper! In certain circumstances I too would go and get the assistance of a Thai policeman. Otherwise in some circumstances you will be fleeced of your money or put in real danger.

Off topic but, for your information, the driving test IS performed on the road, in normal traffic conditions, in Bangkok.

Driving lessons are giving in vehicles with dual pedals, i.e., the instructor's pedals, on the passenger side of the vehicle, override the learner driver's pedals.

My friend recently obtained her driving licence but failed, in her first attempt, by putting one of her tyres onto the kerb when being tested for parallel parking. Both times her driving test was performed on regular roads, in normal traffic, on Bangkok streets.

Back to the topic.

Or one dead farang !?!?!? don't you know that most people carry a gun in there car ? this is Thailand...

Off topic but, for your information, the driving test IS performed on the road, in normal traffic conditions, in Bangkok.

Driving lessons are giving in vehicles with dual pedals, i.e., the instructor's pedals, on the passenger side of the vehicle, override the learner driver's pedals.

My friend recently obtained her driving licence but failed, in her first attempt, by putting one of her tyres onto the kerb when being tested for parallel parking. Both times her driving test was performed on regular roads, in normal traffic, on Bangkok streets.

Back to the topic.

Well it obviously fails in its objective - making sure drivers are competent.

Back to the topic.

Well it obviously fails in its objective - making sure drivers are competent.

With respect to your statement, the 'objective' does not fail for those that take driving lessons and properly pass the written and driving tests. Where the system fails is in the great number of people who just pay money (under the table) to obtain a licence, or drive with no licence. The latter possibly accounts for a number of the 'runners.' Well, those that aren't under the influence of drugs/alcohol, have outstanding warrants or are driving stolen vehicles when they are involved in traffic incidents.

illegal.

Depends. In Thailand, generally speaking if you knock someone over and take responsibility people will be understanding. The mob mentality violence, where locals start attacking you for causing an accident is not something that generally happens in Thailand - I've seen plenty of accidents and all parties involved are generally overwhelmingly calm when handling the situation. Bystanders may come and gawk, but they won't become aggressive or angry.

In Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam, they can become very aggressive. Those are the sorts of countries where you want to flee, if you cause an accident. Bangladesh, India and other countries in the region also, otherwise an angry mob might chase after you with sticks and stones.

As far as the accident in the video is concerned - it was very minor. The black car had no need to flee at all - he caused no injuries and only minor damage to the door of the vehicle he drove into. The reason why the passengers and driver of the other vehicle tried to stop him was because he tried to flee. Not for causing the accident in the first place.