BTS train service disrupted again this morning

webfact

BTS train service disrupted again this morning

image-5-wpcf_728x409.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Thousands of people travelling on the BTS Skytrain services were stranded at stations along the Sukhumvit Line from Morchit for over 40 minutes as the service was disrupted again.

BTS announced that the disruption of its Skytrain service at 7.44am at Morchit station was due to the automatic track switching system.

It said the disruption would cause a 10-minute delay of the train.

It also apologized commuters for the incident.

The incident stranded thousands of commuters at Morchit and other stations along the Sukhumvit Line.

At Morchit, stranded passengers jammed the station and spilled over on to the stairways and escalator on the road pavements as they thought they could wait as BTS announced the problem would be fixed in 10 minutes.

But as almost half an hour of waiting passed, some upset commuters lost patience blasting the BTS announcement of 10-minute delay saying they have to wait over 30 minutes for the service to resume at Morchit.

Many of them posted on the BTS Facebook page saying it should stop telling lies about the time of spending just 10 minutes to fix the problem.

“Stop lying about the time, I have waited over 30 minutes now,” one angry passenger posted.

The train resumed again after 8.28am with all trains jammed with commuters.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bts-train-service-disrupted-morning/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-20

Again and again, No wonder BTSGIF earnings aren't going up. I "was" a shareholder.

Again and again? Your tone suggests that this short disruption (the 4th or 5th, perhaps, in 16 years of operation?) of the excellent BTS service is a frequent occurrence. Of course it isn't and would have no effect whatsoever on shareholders.

Edited by gdgbb

Again and again, No wonder BTSGIF earnings aren't going up. I "was" a shareholder.

Untrue, the earnings are going up. I have been a shareholder for years passenger numbers are up every year and already BTS shares are up 8% to B9.75 in the last month, BTSGIF is up 6% in one month at B12.70. Dividend next month is 0.34/share for BTS and BTSGIF has already paid out a dividend of 0.345/share for the last year.

Untrue, the earnings are going up. I have been a shareholder for years passenger numbers are up every year and already BTS shares are up 8% to B9.75 in the last month, BTSGIF is up 6% in one month at B12.70. Dividend next month is 0.34/share for BTS and BTSGIF has already paid out a dividend of 0.345/share for the last year.

I suspect Estrada was venting his frustration at a typically incompetent monopoly making any money, despite its oft demonstrated capacity for incompetence.

I think that if we look at the overall service reliability- from day one to present -- that the data would show an exceptionally reliable network. I also suspect that if we were to break that down and look at, say the last 36 months or so, I think we'd see statistically higher incident rates, but I think some of that would be due to the natural aging of the network and equipment. However, this is where I think the idea of proper preventative maintenance practices can help.

The part I do wholly agree with is their communications- both in Thai and English (and I do think that as a mass transit system that other languages like Chinese might also be common) really need to improve.

"Better" to me means timely and accurate. I grant that it might not always be possible to know when the system will go back online, but here too, I think accuracy matters - even if that's to say "we're still making an initial assessment of the problem. We will advise you of an expected fix time in about __ minutes"

Edited by new2here

One thing I don't miss is riding on that ''Sardine Can on Tracks''....even during off-peak times it could get horribly crowded....

Sadly the 'dream' from the late 1990s that the BTS would alleviate BKK's traffic woes never came to pass due to abysmal administration woes throughout it's existence.

The only benefit it offers is getting across town in good time if you don't mind 'cramming' in for a while.....

Yes it's crowded, but delays and breakdowns are still comparatively rare.

I agree... but it appears or simply feels like the rate at which they are or have occurred in the past few years has increased markedly.. But from a "day one" perspective, I'll bet that its overall system reliability would be statically excellent.

Again and again? Your tone suggests that this short disruption (the 4th or 5th, perhaps, in 16 years of operation?) of the excellent BTS service is a frequent occurrence. Of course it isn't and would have no effect whatsoever on shareholders.

The 5th, in 2 years time. A company's disruption has direct effect on it's sales revenue and thus will affect it's shareholders. Never think otherwise. Same with the fire that occurred at Terminal 21 recently, LHSC had very cautious trading, as we investors need to judge how it will affect our EPS.

True, I've just checked the data and guess what? I have a seat as a shareholder again. Will be entering soon.

I suspect Estrada was venting his frustration at a typically incompetent monopoly making any money, despite its oft demonstrated capacity for incompetence.

An incompetent monopoly, oft demonstrated [sic]? I'd love to see your justification of that clearly untrue statement.

One thing I don't miss is riding on that ''Sardine Can on Tracks''....even during off-peak times it could get horribly crowded....

Sadly the 'dream' from the late 1990s that the BTS would alleviate BKK's traffic woes never came to pass due to abysmal administration woes throughout it's existence.

The only benefit it offers is getting across town in good time if you don't mind 'cramming' in for a while.....

As, by definition, off peak times are the less busy times it's ridiculous to suggest that off peak the BTS is "horribly crowded", it simply isn't.

Bangkok's traffic problems are nothing to do with the BTS's "abysmal administration woes throughout it's existence" as you farcically claim but you can bet your life that if the Skytrain ceased operations tomorrow traffic issues would increase immeasurably and people like you would be pleading for it's return.

As, by definition, off peak times are the less busy times it's ridiculous to suggest that off peak the BTS is "horribly crowded", it simply isn't.

Bangkok's traffic problems are nothing to do with the BTS's "abysmal administration woes throughout it's existence" as you farcically claim but you can bet your life that if the Skytrain ceased operations tomorrow traffic issues would increase immeasurably and people like you would be pleading for it's return.

I take it you've never been on a 3 car train in off peak times.

To suggest that they don't get crowded, sometimes dangerously so, often uncomfortably so, is an utter nonsense rather like the rest of your post.

Do you really think it is well run when it it still (and always has been) cheaper (not to mention more convenient and comfortable) along the entire route for a party of 2/3 (or more) to get a taxi?

I hope you're not in business....especially the MRT business......

The 5th, in 2 years time. A company's disruption has direct effect on it's sales revenue and thus will affect it's shareholders. Never think otherwise. Same with the fire that occurred at Terminal 21 recently, LHSC had very cautious trading, as we investors need to judge how it will affect our EPS.

So, yes, pretty good reliability, then.

You need to get things in perspective. The disruption that is being discussed was a drop-in-the-ocean 40 minute hiccup that would have had an unnoticeable effect on the monopoly's revenue, evidenced by the masses of people waiting to spend their money as soon as the disruption was sorted and thus will have negligible effects on shareholders. Don't think otherwise.

Out of curiosity, what was the effect of the disruption of the Terminal 21 fire on LHSC's EPS for "you investors" (as though no one else but you invests)?

I take it you've never been on a 3 car train in off peak times.

To suggest that they don't get crowded, sometimes dangerously so, often uncomfortably so, is an utter nonsense rather like the rest of your post.

Do you really think it is well run when it it still (and always has been) cheaper (not to mention more convenient and comfortable) along the entire route for a party of 2/3 (or more) to get a taxi?

I hope you're not in business....especially the MRT business......

"...an utter nonsense rather like the rest of your post."

Utter nonsense, eh? Let's see where the nonsense is...

Three carriage trains? Utter nonsense. The BTS hasn't run those for a long time, they're all 4 carriage now.

I didn't suggest that the trains don't get crowded, I did, however, refute your statement that they get uncomfortably crowded off peak. They don't.

"Often dangerously overcrowded"? Utter nonsense. Crowded at peak times, of course.

Yes, I do think the BTS is well run and the reason for that is, it is! How well run the enterprise is has nothing to do with it's competitiveness price-wise with a taxi. It wasn't designed to compete with taxis, full or otherwise, but whatever time of day you choose I will put my money on the BTS being quicker and, therefore, more convenient than a taxi going the entire route.

Don't you worry whether I'm in business or not, you just concentrate on your own utter nonsense.

Edited by gdgbb

======================

"Shareholders" are the lowest form of Capitalist scum.

Not meaning it in a personal way you understand

Just my opinion of "Shareholders" in general.

I admit I am biased.

Before I was retired I was a maintenance technician on a communications system.

The engineers that did the installation of the system made the company I worked for a lot of money by overcharging for the original installation.

We, the technicians that had to maintain the equipment were continuously having to repair shoddy work by the engineers who installed the system.

I suspect that in Thailand the same is true.

Proper maintenance is their last thought

The installers get the graft and kickbacks on the installation, maintenance is a cost and is never properly funded.

CEOs and the accounts regard maintenance as a drag down on "shareholder" dividends.

I hate to say it, but I saw it for so many years before I retired.

I expect it is the same in Thailand.

Due to most Thai people's reluctance to push their way inside the carriages, even at peak periods when it is packed, there is still room inside the carriages if you're prepared to (politely) force your way in. As a commuter at Phra Khanong, I have to do this most mornings. At least the carriage is delightfully air conditioned once you're inside.

I admit I am biased.

Before I was retired I was a maintenance technician on a communications system.

The engineers that did the installation of the system made the company I worked for a lot of money by overcharging for the original installation.

We, the technicians that had to maintain the equipment were continuously having to repair shoddy work by the engineers who installed the system.

I suspect that in Thailand the same is true.

Proper maintenance is their last thought

The installers get the graft and kickbacks on the installation, maintenance is a cost and is never properly funded.

CEOs and the accounts regard maintenance as a drag down on "shareholder" dividends.

I hate to say it, but I saw it for so many years before I retired.

I expect it is the same in Thailand.

Agreed, same with the airlines. While ideally we would like to think they have our safety as the priority, that isn't true. The board of directors and CEO always like to have their thick skin face show up in the media as pretty thoughtful creatures, but in reality? Shareholder expectations. Lower cost, higher profit, or else we change you and find someone else who will get the job done.

You need to get things in perspective. The disruption that is being discussed was a drop-in-the-ocean 40 minute hiccup that would have had an unnoticeable effect on the monopoly's revenue, evidenced by the masses of people waiting to spend their money as soon as the disruption was sorted and thus will have negligible effects on shareholders. Don't think otherwise.

Out of curiosity, what was the effect of the disruption of the Terminal 21 fire on LHSC's EPS for "you investors" (as though no one else but you invests)?

Imagine a blood circulation or a water pipe. When things are going smoothly, there is a stable stream of revenue coming in. However at each disruptions, it gets congested, those revenues are on hold and doesn't go on until it has a flow again. Ideally we would like to think only time was wasted, but that's not true. Revenue is lost due to time. Imagine you have 100 shipments coming into your company each month, and then the ships go on strike for 2 weeks, how does that affect your monthly and yearly revenue? Everything gets pushed back, same with the passengers on BTS. So you really need to have an open perspective instead of being stone hard with your own.

The disruption of the Terminal 21, the management was able to control and rectify it quickly and insurance claims were paid without any problems. Investors always have to be cautious about the worst case scenarios. It could be shut down by the local government for inspection as to why it occured and other safety agencies. Would it be close down for several days? And so on. The effect of that fire and other factors has caused LHSC's eps to drop by over 10% comparing to last year's performance. I am no longer a shareholder. But I do hold the hotel behind Terminal 21. Centre Point Hotel, it has made me a very very happy man. giggle.gif

Imagine a blood circulation or a water pipe. When things are going smoothly, there is a stable stream of revenue coming in. However at each disruptions, it gets congested, those revenues are on hold and doesn't go on until it has a flow again. Ideally we would like to think only time was wasted, but that's not true. Revenue is lost due to time. Imagine you have 100 shipments coming into your company each month, and then the ships go on strike for 2 weeks, how does that affect your monthly and yearly revenue? Everything gets pushed back, same with the passengers on BTS. So you really need to have an open perspective instead of being stone hard with your own.

The disruption of the Terminal 21, the management was able to control and rectify it quickly and insurance claims were paid without any problems. Investors always have to be cautious about the worst case scenarios. It could be shut down by the local government for inspection as to why it occured and other safety agencies. Would it be close down for several days? And so on. The effect of that fire and other factors has caused LHSC's eps to drop by over 10% comparing to last year's performance. I am no longer a shareholder. But I do hold the hotel behind Terminal 21. Centre Point Hotel, it has made me a very very happy man. giggle.gif

I don't need to imagine water pipes or blood circulation to understand financial matters and I do know that the tiny BTS delay on that one day does not compare in any way with your '100 disrupted shipments per month' example.

So how much did the fire that you brought up, not other factors, affect the EPS in monetary terms? "10% drop" on it's own is meaningless.

I don't need to imagine water pipes or blood circulation to understand financial matters and I do know that the tiny BTS delay on that one day does not compare in any way with your '100 disrupted shipments per month' example.

So how much did the fire that you brought up, not other factors, affect the EPS in monetary terms? "10% drop" on it's own is meaningless.

Case closed. If 10% is meaningless, I wish you a happy life with your own perspectives. I'll continue living mine with the perspective that any negative news does affect the outlook of the investments.

Complete nonsense.

Complete nonsense.

Quite right, it's difficult to say anything else about Merylhighground's comment.