cash advance

Of course! Better to get your cash advance over the counter at Bangkok Bank. No ATM fee then.

They have stopped this in some branches, they will direct you to the machines outside... Used to be fine in every bank but why should they let people clog up the branch to avoid using the atm?

My friend has done it successfully on previous holidays but this year they still wanted him to use the atm...

Card-issuing banks/companies sometimes have separate max limits for an ATM withdrawal vs a Counter withdrawal (also referred to as Cash Advance).

This separate max limit usually applies if using a Credit Card vs a Debit Card. And usually a credit card Cash advance limit will be higher than a debit card.

Ex: I have a couple of U.S. "credit cards" I frequently use to do cash advances. Now before anyone jumps in a says you are getting with a cash advance fee plus foreign transaction fee, the particular credit cards I use do not charge a cash advance fee nor foreign transaction fee (one of the few that don't). But they do start charging interest from day 1 of the cash advance like most credit cards, but I avoid any interest by prepaying/paying same day the cash advance. When the dust settles absolutely no fees charges, to include no Thai bank fees since they don't charge for a counter withdrawal fee. But as already mentioned, many branches will not do a counter/cash advance...they just point you to their ATM. The credit cards I use allow $1,000/day if using an ATM cash advance and/or $2,000/day if using a counter cash advance. Now for my U.S. debt cards (no foreign transaction fee also) when used for a counter/cash advance the total daily limit is the same regardless of cash advance via counter or ATM.

A person really needs to check with their card-issuing bank/company regarding what the daily ATM and/or Counter Cash Advance limits are....it's not standardized.

I did 2 or 3 Over-the-Counter w/d each month for about 2 years at my Bangkok Bank branch. I don't know if this influenced their willingness or not, but each transaction was for 30~34,000 Baht, which exceeds their ATM per transaction limit of 25,000.

Had I asked for less than 25k, I suspect they would of pointed me to the ATM.

Additionally, I never took cash out the door, just a paper shuffle to deposit the Baht from the card transactions, straight into my BB account.

I have not been refused an over-the-counter cash advance at a Bangkok Branch. I use a no-foreign-transaction-fee credit card so I pay no fees whatsoever. I also get points worth 1% of each transaction.

I have not been refused an over-the-counter cash advance at a Bangkok Branch. I use a no-foreign-transaction-fee credit card so I pay no fees whatsoever. I also get points worth 1% of each transaction.

I bet you do "not" get points/rewards/cash back for a counter cash advance. Rewards are only given for purchases. Look closer at your Rewards fine print and I expect you find a statement similar to below which I took from one of my credit cards and I've seen on all my credit cards:

Rewards are available only for new purchases made with the card: cash advances, checks drawn from the account, and balance transfers are excluded and do not earn credit toward rewards.