Does Anyone Know Why This Route Doesn't Exist

TRIPxCORE

There are plenty of low-cost carriers operating within Asia now. This industry has sprouted up like crazy around SEA. For the life of me I cannot figure out why not one of these LCC's fly the BKK-HKG route. For sure it's a well-traveled and popular route. Air Asia would sell out plane after plane on this route if they flew it. What gives????? :o

It have been a few years but the BKK-HKG was always one of the most highly discounted routes out of Bangkok (along with Singapore) so the probably is not that great a market.

I can understand that logic but compared to what the LCC's are charging for flights of similar time, the BKK-HKG flights are still too overpriced. From BKK to HKG is around 2.5 hours. From BKK-SIN is about the same if I am not mistaken. I can buy a ticket on Air Asia BKK-SIN for $25.00. The lowest I can find after a quick search on Expedia for BKK-HKG is $134.00.

[Lowest FARES (EXCL all taxes) etc, are from 4.999 TH from LOCAL Thai agents here, for a max 14-day stay. NO cheap singles though! And no-one here quotes fares in US$, so this must again be someone who thinks that faraway machines will sow those. But even those fares quoted above are without the taxes- and AirAsia has a remarkable inventive mind about them and how to jack them up.

Travel Macao-HKG will always involve a ferry, or a faster hovercat/catamaran or whatever theyre called. Pirces fluctuate (this is free world competition) enormous with comp/time of day etc.

IF you want a short return, then dont bother with this. IF youre aiming to visit mianland China: MAC is just as good, if not better, entry point as HKG, border is closer by!

There are plenty of low-cost carriers operating within Asia now. This industry has sprouted up like crazy around SEA. For the life of me I cannot figure out why not one of these LCC's fly the BKK-HKG route. For sure it's a well-traveled and popular route. Air Asia would sell out plane after plane on this route if they flew it. What gives????? :o

It could be a matter of logistics. British Midland did have a very popular route - Liverpool-Heathrow - but it was cancelled for one simple reason. They were offered the Heathrow -Brussels slot which they felt was more profitable but they did not have the aircraft and the Liverpool flight was scrapped. Normally, it would take me 10 minutes from Liverpool airport to home. Now I have to fly into Manchester - an airport that I do not like.

Actually, one of the reasons is some of the European giants fly to Hong Kong and Singapore via Bangkok. Europe to BKK is normally so heavily booked, that this is a viable option. Of course when they off-load the passengers in BKK, there are quite often lots of seats going which they offer at premium rates.

You can get a flight from BKK-either of these destinations with Finnair, business class, for 10,000 baht, buy one get one free. Other options with other European airlines offer flight+ hotel deals. There are a lot of good bargins to be had from the travel page of the BKK Post. We did.

Well you see, from what everyone has posted in here and the prices that have been mentioned, it's clear that having a LCC operate this route would be ideal for travelers. The service we are getting now is just too expensive for a short 2.5 hour flight.