Parquetry Restoration

Trentham

I live an old house in Rangsit area with a well worn parquet floor that needs some restoration. I am playing with the idea of using an oil type finish which I had in my house back in Oz and really liked. Just wondering how an oil will stand up to the humidity here? Is there an ex tradesman around who can give this old amateur some advice.

You're welcome. Yes, the lacquer seal needs to be completely removed, if the restoration ought to be an oil finish.

I personally think an oil finish is much more appealing than lacquer!

You can either sand or scrape it down. The former will look smoother, whereas the latter gives a more antique look. What ever you do --if you are going for an oil finish-- ensure the wood is sufficiently "open", allowing the oil to penetrate deep enough. This is normally done (after sanding/ scraping) with a steel brush in the direction of the grain, before applying the oil.

You're welcome. Yes, the lacquer seal needs to be completely removed, if the restoration ought to be an oil finish.

I personally think an oil finish is much more appealing than lacquer!

You can either sand or scrape it down. The former will look smoother, whereas the latter gives a more antique look. What ever you do --if you are going for an oil finish-- ensure the wood is sufficiently "open", allowing the oil to penetrate deep enough. This is normally done (after sanding/ scraping) with a steel brush in the direction of the grain, before applying the oil.

Thanks Morakot for being so obliging and giving me this advice. I will give it a go.

I can recommend a company in BKK that provides a professional service of low-dust sanding and oiling parquet. Used their service for my condo and they did a great job. They also renovated and oiled the parquet in the German Embassy. PM me to get the contact details.

I can recommend a company in BKK that provides a professional service of low-dust sanding and oiling parquet. Used their service for my condo and they did a great job. They also renovated and oiled the parquet in the German Embassy. PM me to get the contact details.

Thank you wbamboo.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, islerm said:

Anyone got a good Adress for make this Work?

I'm searching exactly this...

Thanks for any Help i can find a good Companie in BKK

Hi islerm. This is the contact details and name of the people I used - Konzept Worx, Tel: 081499 0466

Good luck.

Archived