British Publisher Colin Hastings Dies in Chonburi Car Crash

webfact

image.jpeg

The 74 year old British owner and publisher of The BigChilli magazine died yesterday in a car accident in Chon Buri province of Thailand. He reportedly lost control of his car and crashed into a house wall.

Officers from Sattahip Police Station responded to the fatal accident in Soi Captain Muek in the Bang Saray district of Chon Buri province at around 2.30pm yesterday.

Officers discovered Colin Hastings, a British man, unconscious inside his damaged black Toyota Vios sedan. The vehicle had suffered significant front-end damage from colliding with a house wall.

Rescuers from the Sawang Rojjana Dham Foundation and medical workers from Yan Nasang Wararam Hospital retrieved Hastings from the car and performed CPR for over 30 minutes but sadly, they were unable to revive him.

The cause of the accident remains under investigation. Police are speculating that Hastings may have been speeding before losing control of the vehicle. The cause of this loss of control remains unidentified.

Reportedly, Hastings suffered from a congenital disease, although the specifics of his illness have not been disclosed to the public. An autopsy is currently being conducted at the Institute of Forensic Medicine of Police General Hospital in Bangkok.

image.png

Colin Hastings. (Photo credit: Chalisa Hastings).

Hastings is the publisher and owner of a Thailand-based magazine called The BigChilli and a member of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand (FCCT). His magazine covers news, reviews, profiles, sports, and more, with distribution in major locations in Thailand including Pattaya, Hua Hin, Rayong, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, and Phuket.

Hastings is also the father of a former well-known actress, Anchalee “Angie” Hastings. The 45 year old half Thai, half-British actress left the Thai entertainment industry after marrying her Kuwaiti husband.

Angie shared the news of her father’s passing last night on her Instagram account.

“I lost my father today. We are still in shock. I just need some time.”

Angie also shared a fond memory of her father by posting a picture of him on her wedding day.

TOP Picture via Line

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-30

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 15

RIP. I never met Colin Hastings but I was certainly familiar with his name, back in the 1980s/1990s when I knew many of the Bangkok & Phuket expat journalists and feature writers, they often mentioned Colin Hastings, so I gathered he was quite a big shot in those circles.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

The 74 year old British owner and publisher of The BigChilli magazine died yesterday in a car accident in Chon Buri province of Thailand. He reportedly lost control of his car and crashed into a house wall.

Officers from Sattahip Police Station responded to the fatal accident in Soi Captain Muek in the Bang Saray district of Chon Buri province at around 2.30pm yesterday.

Officers discovered Colin Hastings, a British man, unconscious inside his damaged black Toyota Vios sedan. The vehicle had suffered significant front-end damage from colliding with a house wall.

Rescuers from the Sawang Rojjana Dham Foundation and medical workers from Yan Nasang Wararam Hospital retrieved Hastings from the car and performed CPR for over 30 minutes but sadly, they were unable to revive him.

The cause of the accident remains under investigation. Police are speculating that Hastings may have been speeding before losing control of the vehicle. The cause of this loss of control remains unidentified.

Reportedly, Hastings suffered from a congenital disease, although the specifics of his illness have not been disclosed to the public. An autopsy is currently being conducted at the Institute of Forensic Medicine of Police General Hospital in Bangkok.

image.png

Colin Hastings. (Photo credit: Chalisa Hastings).

Hastings is the publisher and owner of a Thailand-based magazine called The BigChilli and a member of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand (FCCT). His magazine covers news, reviews, profiles, sports, and more, with distribution in major locations in Thailand including Pattaya, Hua Hin, Rayong, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, and Phuket.

Hastings is also the father of a former well-known actress, Anchalee “Angie” Hastings. The 45 year old half Thai, half-British actress left the Thai entertainment industry after marrying her Kuwaiti husband.

Angie shared the news of her father’s passing last night on her Instagram account.

“I lost my father today. We are still in shock. I just need some time.”

Angie also shared a fond memory of her father by posting a picture of him on her wedding day.

TOP Picture via Line

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-30

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Speeding?

Brakes failure?

Mobile Phone?

Drunk?

Health issues?

Take your pick

RIP

• Confused 2
  • Sad 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Never met him, but he/they did publish a rebuttal I wrote to an article in Big Chilli Mag going on 20 years ago, when it was quite new. Gave it some nice props and welcomed my counter-argument graciously and with humor. Condolences to family and friends. 🌶️ 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

If that is a photo of him at 74??????????????   

Yes, met him a week ago, near his shop, looked the same RIP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Could have been medical, lost control and crashed, the damage is not indicative of high speed, the front of the car is mostly plastic.

"...the front of the car is mostly plastic".

Nothing aft of the front bumper, relevant to the accident, is plastic!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1