Booze-free Weekend: Referendum vote brings nationwide alcohol ban

webfact

44 minutes ago, Saladin said:

Can anybody explain the logic in the government banning all alcohol sales and consumption every time there is a holiday for a national or relgious celebration or Royal's birthday, for which Thailand must hold the world record. What has abstinence from booze got to do with any of this? Sure, some sensible restrictions might be justifiable but why a blanket ban that even covers enjoying a glass of wine with a meal in a restaurant? We all celebrate in our own way, provided we are not causing nuisance to others we don't need the thought police telling us how to live.

They're not banning all alcohol consumption. If you want a drink in a comfort of your own home, that's fine. No problem at all for a functioning adult capable of even a modicum of forward planning. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Saladin said:

Can anybody explain the logic in the government banning all alcohol sales and consumption every time there is a holiday for a national or relgious celebration or Royal's birthday, for which Thailand must hold the world record. What has abstinence from booze got to do with any of this? Sure, some sensible restrictions might be justifiable but why a blanket ban that even covers enjoying a glass of wine with a meal in a restaurant? We all celebrate in our own way, provided we are not causing nuisance to others we don't need the thought police telling us how to live.

How about explaining the DAILY ban of alcohol sales from 2-5 pm??? :crazy:

22 hours ago, petedk said:

I assume that means people selling or giving away alcohol.

What about drinking your own alcohol which was purchased days before?

I guess you are not allowed to give a glass of wine or beer to your dinner guests either.

Don't be silly.

23 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

They're not banning all alcohol consumption. If you want a drink in a comfort of your own home, that's fine. No problem at all for a functioning adult capable of even a modicum of forward planning. 

As opposed to backward planning?

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Well this thoroughly sucks. Now I have to open my own beer since my wife isn't allowed to give it to me. At least I've told her to vote no.

Sure that's only the case if you're paying her?

Oh, wait...

6 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Sure that's only the case if you're paying her?

Oh, wait...

Don't know what the going rate is this time, I'm afraid. 300b as usual? Anyway, if some one tells her she can't do something, it's an automatic "No".

The custom where I come from was to go have a few cold ones after voting and discuss more earthly matters. I prefer that.