PM thanks Thai people for coming to referendum

webfact

PM thanks Thai people for coming to referendum

BANGKOK, 8 August 2016 (NNT) – The spokesman for the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) has disclosed that the Prime Minister has thanked Thai people for exercising their rights to participate in the referendum and asked all parties to respect the rules and accept the people’s decision. 

PMO spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd disclosed that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha thanked people from all walks of life nationwide for flocking to the referendum which demonstrated their power to determine the future of the country. 

Whatever the result, he is ready to accept the outcome and he also asked all parties to accept the people’s decision, said the Premier. 

A large number of people from students to hill tribe citizens shared information and encouraged one another to go to the referendum which was a good thing, the Prime Minister said. 

The PMO spokesman said that the Prime Minister will monitor the vote count at home and he stressed that everything will proceed in accordance with the road map. 

The PMO spokesman added that the general atmosphere in all areas was orderly and most people provided cooperation and followed the rules, according to the reports from the centers for maintaining peace and order nationwide and officials from all parties. 

However, there were some people who tore up the ballot due to a misunderstanding. Those who deliberately destroyed the ballot must be prosecuted as it is against the law, said the PMO spokesman. 

It is clear that this referendum was fair and transparent because all parties want the country to move forward and want to maintain the good image of the country, the spokesman added. 

He maintained that this is considered an initial success for Thai people and there are still several more steps awaiting the public's cooperation.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-08

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Can we actually believe this.

Everything here is mired in corruption/ false facts/ untruths.

Sad day for Thailand, Thai people.

Yeah, if only we had a perfect western-style democracy in Thailand. I think I will move to another country in Asia which has a perfect western-style democracy. A western-style democracy is the only thing that makes me really happy. In the West I can even vote for leaders and parties who engage in perpetual illegal overseas.

1 minute ago, newcomer71 said:

If someone expressing his opinion that is different than yours is whinging, you sure are very happy with the actual government. 

So that means you are not. Can you point at any Asian country with the perfect western-style democracy?

2 minutes ago, does said:

So that means you are not. Can you point at any Asian country with the perfect western-style democracy?

Did I make any comment against the actual government? Or did I express the wish to have the perfect western-style democracy here?

15 minutes ago, newcomer71 said:

Did I make any comment against the actual government? Or did I express the wish to have the perfect western-style democracy here?

So what was the point you were trying to make?

This is disappointing but it never was fair and very few people voted. It was put between to major Thai holidays(Bhuddist lent and Mother's day)  so a lot of rural people didn't return home. The number who turned out shows there's no landslide here. What did anyone expect? Thais are apathetic, easy-going people. They don't care most of the time probably because they learned that caring in Thailand means getting problems from the powers that be and doesn't change anything most of the time either. Most Thais didn't expect any change from this as they see all rule including junta rule the same: corrupt and not changing their lives.

Just expect more oppression and abuse including on the Internet. The only possible next step to get rid of this is probably people in the streets. Isn't that the way it always goes? Thailand never really went through any social renaissance or revolution. It's always been in the same hands of the royalist elite and military. Thais don't know what equality is and won't fight for justice in a system that allows the same powerful to escape punishment. Prayuth gets his 'amnesty' now I believe. He can have a few drinks with the red bull heir and discuss what it is like to commit crimes and get away with it thanks to Thainess.

I don't understand why people still have to travel to their home provinces to vote. Everyone has an ID card with a chip on it and the country is computerized,  why can't they vote wherever they are. And really? They have to ban the sale of alcohol for the entire weekend so people are sober enough to go vote? 

A large number of people from students to hill tribe citizens shared information and encouraged one another to go to the referendum which was a good thing, the Prime Minister said.

strange i thought discussion and debate sharing information was banned, along with no more than 5 persons in a group

26 minutes ago, Bung said:

I don't understand why people still have to travel to their home provinces to vote. Everyone has an ID card with a chip on it and the country is computerized,  why can't they vote wherever they are. And really? They have to ban the sale of alcohol for the entire weekend so people are sober enough to go vote? 

i feel its just to make the voting a difficult as posable, many thais work away from there homes and can't just take time off work  and again i think there was a fear factor in voting "no",

so many did not cast a vote, which in turn translates to a yes vote to whoever in in the top position through apathy or just cant get back to vote

the alcohol ban was ineffective  because you just stock up the previous day

Edited by dieseldave1951

Could anyone point me to a "perfect Western-style democracy"?  USofA perhaps? Ha ha.

I come from two of the most open & free & egalitarian (and one of them amongst the richest) countries in the world - NZ & Oz - but even they aren't perfect.

We should think of the strugglers & stragglers as works in progress. It's the direction of movement that counts, not where they are at any given moment.

Are things here better now than they were under the freely-elected but incompetent governments that preceded them? I think yes - at least some decisions get made & actually implemented. In government, doing things is not always better than doing nothing, but when years & decades have passed with neglect of major infrastructure then it seems to me that almost any action might be better than none ... but then I'm an optimist (at least when I'm not feeling depressed).

2 hours ago, newcomer71 said:

If someone expressing his opinion that is different than yours is whinging, you sure are very happy with the actual government. 

What is their opinion based on? And where did I express an opinion about the Thai gov?

I havent seen any sad thais today, all I've spoken to are either indifferent or positive about the referendum... the only sadness I'm seeing is in this thread coming from the usual haters/whingers.

______

As for having to vote in home province, it's bs cos I know at least 3 thais who voted outside their hp and none who were prevented for the same.

So much falangness on these forums...

Edited by HappyDazed

1 minute ago, HappyDazed said:

What is their opinion based on? And where did I express an opinion about the Thai gov?

I havent seen any sad thais today, all I've spoken to are either indifferent or positive about the referendum... the only sadness I'm seeing is in this thread coming from the usual haters/whingers.

______

As for having to vote in home province, it's bs cos I know at least 3 thais who voted outside their hp and none who were prevented for the same.

If anyone that has a different opinion from YOU is a hater / whingers, your consideration of freedom of speech is not dissimilar from who is in charge now, I guess. That's why I speculated you could be very happy with the actual people in charge.

If I'm wrong I apologize, but I guess is not much classy demise who has a different opinion or feeling than your as a hater/whinger.

About voting outside home province, there was a timeframe to request to vote in the city where people live for work (example), so who did not request had to vote at home province.

1 minute ago, newcomer71 said:

If I'm wrong I apologize, but I guess is not much classy demise who has a different opinion or feeling than your as a hater/whinger.

About voting outside home province, there was a timeframe to request to vote in the city where people live for work (example), so who did not request had to vote at home province

Where did I say anyone who expresses a differing opinion is whinger?... But moaning about a referendum is whinging cos these are the same whingers who whinge at every turn about the lack of democracy in Thailand... What exactly do they think a referendum is?

In Europe, not only do you have to be registered in a particular province but also you have to be registered at a specific polling station!.... So we can put away the tinfoil!

14 minutes ago, HappyDazed said:

In Europe, not only do you have to be registered in a particular province but also you have to be registered at a specific polling station!.... So we can put away the tinfoil!

Which tinfoil? I just explained why someone could vote in Bangkok although their home Province was hundreds kms away, I did not express an opinion, just stating a fact... These are rules in Thailand, and topic was about voting in Thailand.

About the first part, you stated your opinion very well.

53 minutes ago, HappyDazed said:

DO they also require thumb prints on ballot papers in Europe ?

2 hours ago, HappyDazed said:

______

So much falangness on these forums...

How weird is that!...........when it's 99% farang who use the forum???

1 hour ago, johng said:

DO they also require thumb prints on ballot papers in Europe ?

Only if you can't read or write, same as in Thailand - no rocket science or super intelligence needed to think that through.