Backpacker's In Action.....Lament...

pgrahmm

1 minute ago, ClutchClark said:

News for ya.

Old men don't ever forget how it was to be young.

Its just that when us old men were young we didnmt have rats nests in our hair. We practiced good personal hygeine (like Thais do), we took pride in our appearance, we didn't lounge about all day. 

These backpackers today are nothing but a blight.

News for ya.

Most of the OP's complaint is regarding anything but personal hygiene. Not a backpacker myself, but I am sure you have some clean ones out there as well. Just like you had dirty people around back in your days as well. Don't come here saying that you were all clean like a whistle back in the days, you know perfectly well that's talking out of your ass.

There are plenty of things that annoy me too, but I don't go writing rants about it as if I was Andy Rooney.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Bad manners for who though? Some backpackers are looking for the best deal they can get...should the airlines not have more staff? Should the backpackers pay more money because a grumpy farang is in a hurry?
Who decides on a correct state of cleanliness?

Who decides on a correct state of cleanliness?   I suppose it's up to the individual, but my being impeccably clean and sweet smelling affects nobody.  The backpacker, with offensive body odor, sitting beside me on a 5 hour flight, stinking and grubby, has a profound effect on me, and those in at least a couple of rows around him/her.

Sure, everybody is looking for the best deal they can get, but not while inconveniencing others.  I raised my kids, telling them that they can go through life being an Rsole and apologizing, but they'll always be an Rsole.   Go through life being a decent, considerate person, and you will always be a decent considerate person, and not have the need to apologize for your conduct.

There is NO excuse for ignorance, arrogance and plain stupid behavior!!  Unless, of course, you are stupid??

Good manners cost nothing, but I fear that that may be wasted on this generation on young people, 'me firsters' I call them, zero consideration for others, and whilst that may be a huge generalization, it is true of a large percentage of the under 25's.

Edited by F4UCorsair

7 hours ago, Sirbergan said:

News for ya.

Most of the OP's complaint is regarding anything but personal hygiene. Not a backpacker myself, but I am sure you have some clean ones out there as well. Just like you had dirty people around back in your days as well. Don't come here saying that you were all clean like a whistle back in the days, you know perfectly well that's talking out of your ass.

There are plenty of things that annoy me too, but I don't go writing rants about it as if I was Andy Rooney.

Sorry, I edited my post within seconds but you had already quoted it. I was unnecessarily rude. 

First off, leave Andy Rooney out of this...he was one of the best.

Second off, I am not supporting or defending anybody on this thread.

I am just telling you In no uncertain terms that in the rural area where I am from we took very good care of our personal hygeine and the only one talking out his ass is you since I am guessing you never set foot in Eastern Colorado/Western Nebraska/Western Kansas in those days. 

Hell, we used to dress up in our Church clothes when we traveled at all. Travel was a big event and we took pride in representing ourselves well. Just take a look at photos from back then. 

Show me one photo of someone in dreadlocks. 

Now years later, we had hippies coming through and I can tell you that they were about as welcome as a bag of turds--and smelled worse. They had zero respect for themselves or the communities they frequented. 

I can recall catching an intercity train in Australia about 30 years ago when a few teenagers got on. They were wearing jeans and tee shirts and looked quite tidy.

The chap beside me leaned over and said "Look at these scruffy young kids. No hat nor gloves", as he sat there puffing on his pipe.

Times keep changing.

Yeah - Someone had started a (first?) complaint of the week thread but I really didn't see this as a complaint so didn't put it there.....

Just watching people going through the conundrums of life.....

The guy & the gal were the real disruptors as the we're on the outward left lane & outward right lane - I was in the center & every time she went over to him or he barged over to her it effectively made the two guys in the middle move & stop as they all had big backpacks dropped around their foot areas to walk around...... Derailing straight line walking......

Someone asked what nationality & that's a great question.....In a lot of airports at major hubs you can sort of tell by the type of clothes/hats/dress - not here.....She had on a braless shift & him a tee shirt & cargo shorts......

If I had to try & place his accented english I'd guess possibly Dutch....Nothing near the Brit/Irish/Scot/German-ish sounds .......

I'm glad they get to travel - but it makes me wonder what they look/seem like to the generally polite & patient Thai society.....

Some of us must look barbaric....

15 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Only a 10-15 minute drive after the first every morning errand - after that had another one about 4k from there....

I actually like the vibe at airports & used to be able to fly for free through United so saw a lot of them.....

A trip to the airport is like a day at the carnival, how could you pass up an opportunity and not go.

17 hours ago, JJGreen said:

That wasn't what I meant which is why I didn't mention it.
I'd rate burping in my face unpleasant for me... maybe for her group it is common behavior in her peer group

Notice you do not have one like next to the four posts......take the hint!

21 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

As do I....

Unfortunately the seating wasn't good & it took a trip to the airport to sort it out.....

ah so you cocked up your online seating and needed to take an otherwise unnecessary trip to the airport to deal with it.

Once there for no reason other than your own incompetence, you felt superior. 

well done, you are so much better than those in the airport to actually travel and explore the world. Ill bet they all wish they were you.

Additional kudos for taking the time to type it all out and share it here. 

Edited by HooHaa

12 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

ah so you cocked up your online seating and needed to take an otherwise unnecessary trip to the airport to deal with it.

Once there for no reason other than your own incompetence, you felt superior. 

well done, you are so much better than those in the airport to actually travel and explore the world. Ill bet they all wish they were you.

Additional kudos for taking the time to type it all out and share it here. 

Cocked up? 

Explain that - if you can......

Consult your "Flying for Dummies" handbook first so you can put the pieces together & try and figure this out......

Maybe you can find a friend to read & explain things to you - then you can happily wallow in your own vitriol ......

Edited by pgrahmm

I was riding the escalator today with a farang a step in front of me.
His hair was greasy and he smelt like 3 day old clothes.
I assumed he was a teacher as he exited an English school...but should I now assume he was a backpacker?

2 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

I was riding the escalator today with a farang a step in front of me.
His hair was greasy and he smelt like 3 day old clothes.
I assumed he was a teacher as he exited an English school...but should I now assume he was a backpacker?

What color was his backpack?

3 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

No backpack...but maybe he left it with his girlfriend and she was spread out with the packs on a 6 seat bench having a sleep

Possibly - 

But chances are he's just an unkempt person.....Or a Zombie .... Was the suit jacket split up the back?

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Cocked up? 

Explain that - if you can......

Consult your "Flying for Dummies" handbook first so you can put the pieces together & try and figure this out......

Maybe you can find a friend to read & explain things to you - then you can happily wallow in your own vitriol ......

im sorry, did you go to the airport to change seats because you did not get the one you wanted online?

if the answer is yes i cant see how you did it right, seat selection on air asia is not exactly rocket science

but its a great story, really.

these snippets of your life are riveting indeed.

Edited by HooHaa

10 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

im sorry, did you go to the airport to change seats because you did not get the one you wanted online?

if the answer is yes i cant see how you did it right, seat selection on air asia is not exactly rocket science

but its a great story, really.

these snippets of your life are riveting indeed.

Yes - they had pre-assigned the seats.....

And - life does seem to reveal itself in snippets.....

My neck Thai got caught in the baggage belt as I was loading my gold plated Louis Vuitton baggage on the belt & I got dragged along the baggage compartment and next thing I knew I woke up in the hull of the plane and realised I was at 30,000 feet with a luggage sticker on my forehead.

As an airline owner with my own private fleet of Cessna A380's I was familiar with the pathway through the secret door into the Avionics compartment where I took control of the plane and steered it towards Deigo Garcia........but that's a story for another time, however just prior to falling on the luggage belt I recall the smell of a Scottish backpacker and felt his puny hand in the small of my back, I suspect he was the culprit that pushed me, maybe in his rush to get to the 5baht coin I noticed as I stepped up to the checkin counter.

Anyway, under no circumstances should backpackers be allowed near the first class checkin lines !

what was this thread about?

It always makes me chuckle when I see/hear/read folks in Thailand who are probably scraping by on a paltry pension or pitiful TEFL 'salary'  making sneering disparaging comments towards 'backpackers' who on returning to the real world will more than likely embark on/return to careers the sneerers could only dream of having done....

58 minutes ago, Merylhighground said:

It always makes me chuckle when I see/hear/read folks in Thailand who are probably scraping by on a paltry pension or pitiful TEFL 'salary'  making sneering disparaging comments towards 'backpackers' who on returning to the real world will more than likely embark on/return to careers the sneerers could only dream of having done....

I just sneer at all farang, especially ones that think they know everything and of course there's nothing more funny than sneering at folk on this forum. I then retreat to the snake pit to celebrate my online conquests with folk of the same ilk.

after all the sneering I retire to my elite condo in Bangkok & dream of the days I was a high paid fifo oil rig worker......HOLD ON a sec, that's not me.

sorry folks, old age, I thought I was someone else for a minute :cheesy:

:whistling::whistling::facepalm:

I got stuck on the Skytrain and BRT at peak time this evening and every single Thai,  and there were atleast a million of them, had zero body odor and their clothes were clean and pressed and their hair was groomed...not a dreadlock to be seen.

People get up to give their seat to the elderly and to children. 

I like this Country.

Edited by ClutchClark

3 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Thai massages are over-rated.

My massuese actually fractured my clavicle today. Do they have any training at all?

Wait a second...is this the complaint thread?

It could be...Clearly, there are two or three posters who seem to have serious complaints.

25 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

70bht online to change your preassigned seat with AirAsia, no need to leave your sofa.

Except they only took CC for the change indicating 962B for the priviledge + the US side charges.....No 7/11 or other options....I'm only about 5-6k away after school drop off up 108 so it's an easy run.....Just a tad more interesting this time....

Edited by pgrahmm

40 minutes ago, Rob8891 said:

It could be...Clearly, there are two or three posters who seem to have serious complaints.

You & your wounded clavicle come on down....All options open here.....

There's likely a backpacker that took the complete - very intensive 5 hour massage course that might drop on by & get you sorted.....

Uncle ND probably has some useful advice.....Well - interesting advice......Well - advice that never would have been thought of by anyone else - living or dead......

Oops.....

Looks like we lost CC's post & clavicle I was answering about somewhere along the way.....

Edited by pgrahmm
Lost clavicle....

If it is an Air Asia flight out of CNX so it was shorthaul and your allocated seats were next to each other separated by the isle. You could hold hands most of the time if you wanted. I just cannot see why folk are so desperate to sit next together on a shorthaul flight and the lengths they go to, to achieve this.

But overall i agree with you that people of all ages and all Nationalties seem far less aware of giving others around them space and leeway. I suppose they are so used to bumping into people because they are on their mobile.