Thinking of Moving Up to Mae Rim from Central CM

RikDao

Having lived in Mae Rim for just 4 years, I have no complaints or worries with the area. Its not too far from the city (If I want to go there) and there are enough food places to satisfy my ever changing tastes.  Public service transport can be a bit of a worry after hours but that is no different from a lot of other places.  And as has been said its relatively quiet out this way.

In regards to Army owned land and people who are 'squatting' on it, yes they have next to zero rights if the Army decides to take it back.  Thats a very simplistic way of putting it, however I believe there is a lot more to it.  Quite a few well known businesses are on Army 'leased' land, along with a lot of local civilians. About 2 years ago there was a bit of a 'clean up' around the area in which I stay.  Those that had proper land office papers and/or documentation to say the land was leased were ok. Some others that just had word of mouth werent so lucky.  As most people know...if it aint in writing then it doesnt exist.

My wifes property is on Army lease land and there has never been a problem.  In fact the land office/Army officials recently had a drive advising leasees that they can apply for loans if they wish to improve their sites with buildings and such.  

Is there still a risk that the Army could demand their land back or cancel the lease agreements?  Absolutely.  Nothing is certain in this life apart from death.

Each to their own...due dilligence and all, but Id take Mae Rim anyday over Hang Dong.

11 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Having lived in Mae Rim for just 4 years, I have no complaints or worries with the area. Its not too far from the city (If I want to go there) and there are enough food places to satisfy my ever changing tastes.  Public service transport can be a bit of a worry after hours but that is no different from a lot of other places.  And as has been said its relatively quiet out this way.

In regards to Army owned land and people who are 'squatting' on it, yes they have next to zero rights if the Army decides to take it back.  Thats a very simplistic way of putting it, however I believe there is a lot more to it.  Quite a few well known businesses are on Army 'leased' land, along with a lot of local civilians. About 2 years ago there was a bit of a 'clean up' around the area in which I stay.  Those that had proper land office papers and/or documentation to say the land was leased were ok. Some others that just had word of mouth werent so lucky.  As most people know...if it aint in writing then it doesnt exist.

My wifes property is on Army lease land and there has never been a problem.  In fact the land office/Army officials recently had a drive advising leasees that they can apply for loans if they wish to improve their sites with buildings and such.  

Is there still a risk that the Army could demand their land back or cancel the lease agreements?  Absolutely.  Nothing is certain in this life apart from death.

Each to their own...due dilligence and all, but Id take Mae Rim anyday over Hang Dong.

Hey wow, thanks for the feedback! Just the kind of thing I wanted to hear, but helpful, too, and positive. I'm still a noob when it comes to doing business on this scale with my kind and gracious Thai friends. But business-wise, so far, so good!

(I hope that last remark doesn't elicit an avalanche of "OMG, just you wait! This guy really is a clueless noob!" replies, thank you very much anyway. Lol).

And yeah, Mae Rim over Hang Dong for me, too, just from how it looks and feels, which is all I have to go on really, except others' opinions.

Traffic is diabolical at school times. I advise not to go there. Plenty of other towns with better roads north of C M.

And, of course you should not buy property anywhere, at least till you have lived somewhere for a year.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Your point is noted re traffic at school times....but that is pretty standard not just in Mae Rim.  Chiang Puak Rd is diabolical as is the road outdside the moat that goes past Ram Hospital.

Generally I try to keep off the roads during those times...not so bad on a motorbike but terrible if in a car or pickup.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Traffic is diabolical at school times. I advise not to go there. Plenty of other towns with better roads north of C M.

And, of course you should not buy property anywhere, at least till you have lived somewhere for a year.

Thanks for the input. Will avoid the roads at school times.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, been up here couple of weeks now. Very pleasant. People in the markets are nice and friendly, workers we've hired have all been cool, neighbors are fine.

All in all, so far, so good!

I will say, it's my style to be as nice and respectful to the locals as possible, without being a disingenuous phony about it. It's their country, and I respect them for what they've built.