Govt Agrees Using Of Malay Dialect In The South

george

Govt agrees using of Malay dialect in the south

Thai government decides to adopt a dialect of Malay as a working language for government officials in the three southernmost provinces, Government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp said Tuesday.

"The government approved the use of Malay as an additional working language and will ensure that there are enough Malay-speaking government officials," the spokesman said.

"We will ask officials to learn and train to communicate in Malay," he added.

The decision was the latest effort by the government to ease tensions in the troublesome region.

The now defunct National Reconciliation Commission proposed the using of local dialect of Malay as one among peace-making measures.

Ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had rejected the proposal, which sought to address a frequent complaint in southern provinces that few government officials can speak the local language.

-- The Nation 2006-11-21

Govt agrees using of Malay dialect in the south

Thai government decides to adopt a dialect of Malay as a working language for government officials in the three southernmost provinces, Government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp said Tuesday.

"The government approved the use of Malay as an additional working language and will ensure that there are enough Malay-speaking government officials," the spokesman said.

"We will ask officials to learn and train to communicate in Malay," he added.

The decision was the latest effort by the government to ease tensions in the troublesome region.

The now defunct National Reconciliation Commission proposed the using of local dialect of Malay as one among peace-making measures.

Ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had rejected the proposal, which sought to address a frequent complaint in southern provinces that few government officials can speak the local language.

-- The Nation 2006-11-21

The report is inaccurate.Thaksin's government broadly agreed the recommendations of the National Reconciliation Committee including the use of the local language.Specifically it was General Prem who rejected the NRC recommendation that the local language be used much more widely, stating we are all Thais and should speak Thai..or words to that effect.

The report is inaccurate.Thaksin's government broadly agreed the recommendations of the National Reconciliation Committee including the use of the local language.Specifically it was General Prem who rejected the NRC recommendation that the local language be used much more widely, stating we are all Thais and should speak Thai..or words to that effect

its a refreshing change on this website to see that some members are not gullable enough to believe everything they read in the media

The report is inaccurate.Thaksin's government broadly agreed the recommendations of the National Reconciliation Committee including the use of the local language.Specifically it was General Prem who rejected the NRC recommendation that the local language be used much more widely, stating we are all Thais and should speak Thai..or words to that effect.

Why do you say that, YH?

Where did/do you get your info?

I can see this happening soon when calling a gov't office or even a local store: "Sawasdee khrap... to speak in Thai, press 1; to speak in Malay, press 2." :o

It's amazing that in the US some companies actually expect the caller to press 1 to speak in English, as if that were not the default language of the country.

Edited by Gumballl

Why do you say that, YH?

Where did/do you get your info?

www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/06/25/headlines_3007268.php

younghusband is very right. plus it would be interesting to see some numbers released of the proportion of Malays speaking people ALREADY employed in government offices in the 3 provinces currently. Atleast per my own experience there are already plenty of them....infact probaly more than thai-buddhist in some places I have seen.

That link doesn't work.

It's true that it was Prem who opposed the working language idea.

It's not true that Thaksin embraced the NRC proposals. He dumped them in the bin straight away, with or without Prem's advice.

You move very glibly over the fact that the Nation report contains a lie, namely that Thaksin was against the language proposals whereas it was in fact Prem with his embarrassingly old fashioned Greater Thai nationallism hogwash.

Let people speak dialects at home if they wish, but the national language should apply for any official business.

It works in Malaysia and Indonesia..........

There is official chaos in South Africa where there are no less than 13 "official languages".

You move very glibly over the fact that the Nation report contains a lie, namely that Thaksin was against the language proposals whereas it was in fact Prem with his embarrassingly old fashioned Greater Thai nationallism hogwash.

Huh? I'm confused - who lied about what? In fact I'me sure I read it in the Nation first - that the language proposal was rejected by Prem, and I don't remember Thaksin saying anything about it one way or another. Maybe if you get that link right it will become clearer.

I doubt Thaksin even read the report, he didn't want any of it.

Huh? I'm confused - who lied about what? In fact I'me sure I read it in the Nation first - that the language proposal was rejected by Prem, and I don't remember Thaksin saying anything about it one way or another. Maybe if you get that link right it will become clearer.

No need to be confused.The Nation extract leading this thread reports Thaksin rejected the recommendation.

Having said that I doubt whether in practice Thaksin and Prem were far apart on the general issue of the South.The point I was making was that Thaksin seems now to be accused of every unwise act, whereas in this instance the key person was Prem.God knows there are enough Thaksin crimes/errors/misjudgements without having to invent ones.

No need to be confused.The Nation extract leading this thread reports Thaksin rejected the recommendation.

Having said that I doubt whether in practice Thaksin and Prem were far apart on the general issue of the South.The point I was making was that Thaksin seems now to be accused of every unwise act, whereas in this instance the key person was Prem.God knows there are enough Thaksin crimes/errors/misjudgements without having to invent ones.

Having committed a stupid blunder by dismissing the southern separatists\terrorists as petty criminals Thaksin soon realised he had no idea what to do in the south, so he appointed Khun Anan with his fact finding commission to diagnose what to do.

Their recommendations, including the adoption of Yawi as a 'working language' were never seriously considered by the Cabinet, simply left on the shelf.

Many felt Thaksin's appointment of the Anan Commission had just been window dressing, designed to appease critics, and wondered why Khun Anan went along with the game.

It's true General Prem opposed the adoption of Yawi as a working language, but to suggest their positions on the south were similar is ludicrous.

Thaksin's arrogant belief that anyone could be bought, his remark in Trang that, 'chopping pork was easy', led him to his complete misunderstanding that a couple of development projects could erase all the 'disappearances', abuse and murders.

General Prem, whilst wrapped in nationalism, could never have trodden that path, especially as he is a son of Songkhla.

Having committed a stupid blunder by dismissing the southern separatists\terrorists as petty criminals Thaksin soon realised he had no idea what to do in the south, so he appointed Khun Anan with his fact finding commission to diagnose what to do.

Their recommendations, including the adoption of Yawi as a 'working language' were never seriously considered by the Cabinet, simply left on the shelf.

Many felt Thaksin's appointment of the Anan Commission had just been window dressing, designed to appease critics, and wondered why Khun Anan went along with the game.

It's true General Prem opposed the adoption of Yawi as a working language, but to suggest their positions on the south were similar is ludicrous.

Thaksin's arrogant belief that anyone could be bought, his remark in Trang that, 'chopping pork was easy', led him to his complete misunderstanding that a couple of development projects could erase all the 'disappearances', abuse and murders.

General Prem, whilst wrapped in nationalism, could never have trodden that path, especially as he is a son of Songkhla.

No I'm afraid it isn't ludicrous.Obviously General Prem is a much more compelling and attractive figure, and I believe with the best of intentions for the South.Thaksin was a cruder and much less sympathetic figure, and as you know his comments after Tak Bai were repellent.

Nevertheless, and I agree this is partly hypothesis, both seem to share the view that Southern Muslims must adapt to a Thai standard (a standard incidentally which is partly invented), and do not appreciate the insidious effect of decades of neglect and repression.I accept I may be doing Prem a misjustice here, though I don't think so.His refusal to countenance greater use of Jawi is very telling.

It's an irony that people like Thaksin patronise the Muslim Southerners as not being properly Thai since their ancestors occupied the land when Thaksin's ancestors were scratching a living in a Chinese paddy field.

Leaflets being distributed in the South to prevent locals from being misled by insurgents

The Fourth Regional Army has conducted a psychological operation by distributing leaflets to the southern residents via helicopters. The leaflets clarify the unrest situations instigated by the southern insurgents.

The leaflets have been dispensed since today morning. They have a message for the local residents to persevere and be patience of the southern situation. They are asked to try to understand the horrific and violent incidents caused by a group of unethical insurgents who would like to create confusion by wearing official uniforms and performed vicious acts. The leaflets indicate the insurgents want the locals to misunderstand the officials, and they would be used as a tool to trigger violence and cause dangers to the general public. The leaflets ask the people not to be misled by the insurgents and be cautious of strangers in their communities. They are asked to help keep a close eye on their children. The leaflets are printed in Thai and Malay languages, and many villagers have already read them.

At the same time, the officials are rigorously inspecting the commuters at different checkpoints in Bannang Sata district, Yala province. Officails are also patrolling along the areas stringently to prevent any unrest incident.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 November 2006