English language cartoons with Thai subtitles

simon43

Mickey Mouse, Tom & Jerry, Top Cat etc etc.

I can find these cartoons on Youtube in English language with subtitles in everything but Thai.

Does anyone have links where I can download (even purchase to download or DVD), popular cartoons in English with Thai language subtitles - no Thai language dubbing?

I think its not permitted to mention places of illegal DL's.

Why would you need to subtitle Tom & Jerry, its silent ? 

I was just wondering - What cartoons are others showing ?

I tried a few new ones recently (  but the language was too fast and the content not really suitable ) A far cry from the slapstick humour of roadrunner, Mr.Bean or T&J that I remember.

When I first started teaching I used to use movie editing software to freeze frame scenes and add subtitles to the cartoons and use them in the lesson.

Even though it had an educational element, some teachers still didn't approve, despite taking a lot of time to do and being supported by some TT's, I lost a job because of teachers who had an opinion that western teachers shouldn't waste the students time with activities like this.

Now the government has a program of remote learning where my students spend more time watching TV than getting traditional lessons, but even still I am wary that certain teachers think we should adopt traditional teaching methods.

Why would you need to subtitle Tom & Jerry, its silent ? 

LoL! Good point :)

I already use video editing software to add Thai subtitles and correct pronunciation to some vocab video clips that I create for use in the classroom.  But I don't really want to go through this process with full-length cartoons.

As for illegal DVDs etc, I can't even recall seeing these with Thai subtitles...

Maybe I'll visit some of the educational companies that set up stalls in the big shopping centres and sell books and DVDs to help kids learn English.

Most Thai TV etc dubs Thai sound instead of using English + Thai subs, so you'll find it difficult.  I had a quick look, and most of the stuff I was able to find with subs were the trailers for movies etc.  There are also heaps of user created subs for music videos etc, but for cartoons it'll be difficult, so you might be better off simply changing to songs or trailers instead :)

If you do search though, make sure you search in Thai, for which the words ซับไทย (Sub Thai) and พากย์อังกฤษ (English Audio) might come in handy, although I had a quick look and didn't have any luck with finding cartoons that weren't dubbed.

Try Peppa Pig - it is possible to get Thai subtitles but I do not know how good the translation is.

I have tried these without translation with Thai English Conversation students - often depends on "how the child thinks" rather than ability to understand.

Just as a possible point of interest my daughters 30 month old twins ( boy / girl ) in the UK enjoy Peppa Pig.    Their vocab is good, including prepositions etc.,  the mother speaks to them in normal every day English.    By that I mean the mother did / does not use baby language.    Learning baby language then having to learn everyday English means learning 2 languages !

Depends on the age and ability of your students.    There is some excellent stuff out there in English English for both younger and older students.    For the more competent students and for those with learning difficulties e.g dyslexia,

Good hunting anyway.