Doi Inthanon? Am I Hallucinating?

Rasseru

I woke up this sparkling morning at dawn, went out on the veranda and saw . . . or at least thought I saw . . . both Doi Inthanon off to the southwest and the mountains of Chiang Dao to the north. Were my eyes and imagination deluding me? Well, no one can answer that question, of course, but more generally, is it possible to see those mountains from Chiangmai on a clear enough day?

Edited by Rasseru

Absolutely you can see Doi Inthanon. This is most common in the rainy season when the air is clearer, but indeed yesterday I noticed what a remarkable clear day it was.

WHAT causes some days to be so much clearer than others? Surely it must be weather influences beyond a couple of farmers burning their trash locally?

Cheers,

Chanchao

WHAT causes some days to be so much clearer than others? Surely it must be weather influences beyond a couple of farmers burning their trash locally?

Cheers,

Chanchao

I believe it is a humidity change that makes it clear, but not sure...

is it possible to see those mountains from Chiangmai on a clear enough day?

Didn't you mean " on a sober enough day" ?

On the theory that the hallucinations are associated with delirium tremens?

Thanks to all for your input. You've succeeded in persuading me, rightly or wrongly, that I am not losing my mind!

I woke up this sparkling morning at dawn, went out on the veranda and saw . . . or at least thought I saw . . . both Doi Inthanon off to the southwest and the mountains of Chiang Dao to the north. Were my eyes and imagination deluding me? Well, no one can answer that question, of course, but more generally, is it possible to see those mountains from Chiangmai on a clear enough day?

Lucky person to have such a view sounds marvelous.

. . . or at least thought I saw . . . both Doi Inthanon off to the southwest and the mountains of Chiang Dao to the north. Were my eyes and imagination deluding me? Well, no one can answer that question, of course, but more generally, is it possible to see those mountains from Chiangmai on a clear enough day?

Probably those glasses of yours Rass, maybe they need a good clean :D As the crow flies, Doi Inthanon is closer than Ciang Dow, so probably yes. Unfortunately I don't get to see either as I can't see much from gutter level :o

Unfortunately I don't get to see either as I can't see much from gutter level :o

In that case, perhaps you too should give sobriety some consideration. :D

:D:D At my age it might cause some serious damage to my delicate system, to say nothing of the severe loss on the stock market of Johnny Walker shares :D

Yeah, but did you see me waving on top of Doi Luang Chiang Dao?

2 nights ago in Mae Sai a cold wind from the North was howling down the main street at 6.00 pm.

So I reckon that cold season is about to hit & that the strong winds have cleared away all the pollution in the air. It should be nice for the next couple of months, then straight back into the smoke & fires & heat. Enjoy the cool weather spectacular panoramic views while you can now.

Talking about panoramic views has anyone been up on the very top of Doi Tung & been able to see the Mekong River? Phu Chi Fah, plus Doi Phukha in Nan should also be absolutely stunning the next few weeks.

Yeah, but did you see me waving on top of Doi Luang Chiang Dao?

Not sure . . . what were you waving? :o

(Thanks for providing the name of the mountain -- my map does not give it.)

Whatever it was, it wasn't big enough for you to see it :D:D

No problem. I've lived here since February and didn't know too much about it, until I hiked it to the top recently. Beautiful up there.

Yes, it has been really clear up here for the past few days. Good time to take pictures of the mountains. A couple of weeks ago, you couldn't even see it at times, with all the burning and smoke.

Getting really cold up here though. It's 4 in the afternoon and I am still sitting around with a long sleeve sweatshirt.