What's the restaurant industry like in BKK?

Dmac64

About a year ago I spent a few months living in bkk and loved it. Thinking about going back potentially more long-term in the future but I've been wondering about work. Last time I was there just on holiday, but it'd be nice to not have another trip be a total money sink. Been working as a line cook since 16, primarily in French restaurants, and I was wondering if I could get a job based on that, or if it's gonna have to be teaching English.

Anyone have experience with this? How are most places about work visas? Do you need to be fluent in Thai? What's pay/hours like?

There are opportunities for foreign chefs and they do come with a work permit. Salary in the 50k to 80k baht a month range. The jobs are rare but they do exist.

You would primarily be cooking western food (pasta, pizza, steak, breakfasts, etc).

Look on jobs it's such as jobsdb.

15 hours ago, Thian said:

Thai don't like flench food, neither do i.

But if you are a good chef you can  cook everything else so there's plenty of opportunities.

8 hours ago, blackcab said:

There are opportunities for foreign chefs and they do come with a work permit. Salary in the 50k to 80k baht a month range. The jobs are rare but they do exist.

You would primarily be cooking western food (pasta, pizza, steak, breakfasts, etc).

Look on jobs it's such as jobsdb.

He's a line cook, not a chef, big difference.

26 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

He's a line cook, not a chef, big difference.

Looks like he might get a promotion then.

Hiring in Thailand is mostly done by ability for anything other than Executive chefs. If he can pass a trade test he will probably get the job.

When I've hired sous chefs for hotels, myself and the executive chef have asked the applicant to make a quick and simple dish for us with minimal ingredients. 

A salad, an omelette, etc. You know right away if the applicant has got it or not as experience shines through. After you hire you have 4 months probationary period to try them out in detail anyway.

New starters tend to either last 4 days or the full 4 months and they stay. I had one sous chef that lasted 4 hours.

Because the applicant probably doesn't speak or read/write Thai then he won't be fully running the kitchen in terms of ordering stock. The other thing is that the majority of places don't have a lot of menu creativity. It's normally the same old stuff, day in, day out, especially for tourist locations.

Unless you have some talent that gives you an edge to being hired you are very unlikely to get a job at a restaurant in Thailand.

Just ordinary line cooks will be Thais or local South East Asians who speak at least some Thai, and they, like you will be getting a salary at less than half of ehat you would earn in Europe.

That is, of course, if you can find a job.

10 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

If if that's what you want go for it.......life is short, and if this is your Dream, you have to try..

best of luck....

His "dream?"

Sounds like he's looking for a paid holiday.  Maybe he thinks he'll be working a few hours a day, 5 days a week, and have accumulated vacation days for bar hopping and trips to the beaches.

it'd be nice to not have another trip be a total money sink. 

In  many ways you chose the wrong forum as you were not to know of the ignorance and bitterness of the failed humans that inhabit this space. Go for it. You are rightto try and opportunities abound here. Just don't expect to geta job quick so come with some money. You will have a great time - anything is possible here.

Edited by The manic

I would say you have a good chance at landing a job, the very worst is that your salary will be low, but definitely won't be lower than teaching English at an English school. If you can hone your skill and sell yourself as a Chef, that would be more beneficial - a lot of thai restaurants have an international menu, and it would be attractive for owners to hire westerns to run the kitchen