Cloud seeding operation replenishes major dams in the North

webfact

Cloud seeding operation replenishes major dams in the North

BANGKOK, 26 August 2016 (NNT) - The Department of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation (DRRAA) successfully carried out cloud seeding operations in an attempt to raise the amount of water in four major dams. 

DRRAA Director-General Lersak Rewtarkulpaiboon revealed the amount of rainfall triggered by the cloud seeding operations in the North throughout the rainy season was 55% higher than the amount of natural rainfall. 

More than 2,000 square kilometers covering five provinces benefited from the operation where hygroscopic flares were used to induce better precipitation. Four large dams reportedly received 3.7 billion cubic meters of water, which Mr. Lersak said, would be enough for consumption during the next dry season. 

As for flood situations around Thailand, several sub-districts in low-lying areas of Satun province have been struggling to drain flood water. The provincial governor, Mr. Phattaraphon Rattanapichetchai, has instructed all relevant units to install water pumps and be ready to evacuate residents when needed. 

In Chiang Mai, the provincial governor, Pawin Chamniprasart, was briefed on a flood prevention plan during his inspection visit to Si Don Chai Pumping Station in Muang district. He also urged related agencies to quickly unclog waterways in order to prevent future flooding. 

The water levels in the Mekong River in Nong Khai province have continuously decreased. Despite the decline, authorities continue to monitor the river around the clock. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-26

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

the amount of rainfall triggered by the cloud seeding operations in the North throughout the rainy season was 55% higher than the amount of natural rainfall

And how do they know this exactly?

According to a study I've linked to previously by the US National Research Council, "the need to predict what would have happened had there been no weather modification (which is especially important in the context of attempts to modify hazardous weather) places an enormous burden on prediction. Predictive numerical models are required to accurately assess what would have occurred in the absence of any intervention, in order to assess both the magnitude and the potential consequences of the change. However, model development and physical understanding are interdependent, thus advances in both are slow and iterative."

Are they trying to claim that Thai scientists have made a breakthrough in the predictive numerical models necessary to make such claims?

It is typical of TNBT to report a claim such as this without reference to any sort of credible scientific evidence to support it. In the absence of of this, the news item is simply government propaganda ... but then, that is surely the  Bureau's single purpose.  The issue of whether or not cloud seeding promotes rainfall continues to be debated internationally largely because of the point made above by jamesbrock.  The most interesting study I have read was published 6 years ago and is summarised here:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101101125949.htm

I thought all that rain and flooding was from that major storm that went through.Oh well the magician is at work. Please dump a load on southern Issan as they need it bad. I was looking through wikipedia the other day and found Operation Popeye which ran during the Vietnam war. It was a cloud seeding operation to extend the monsoon there. You might check it out if you are interested of cloud seeding in this part of the world.

i wish i was being paid to cloud seed clouds that were already raining! :blink:

As for major dam levels Sirikit is still the only one that shows a yearly inflow greater than the outflow. Most dams are still under 50% capacity, a quite a few under 30%. i guess time will tell.

Edited by taichiplanet

AS is well known the UK has had a foolproof method of promoting rain for a few centuries now. Briefly:- find a grass flat well mown field, assemble two wickets (consisting of three vertical and two horizontal pieces of wood) exactly 22 yards apart, find two teams of 11 and dress in white send them out to the field and throw one leather ball - works every time.

Reminds me of the comment recently "we just test fired a missile from a submarine and it met all our objectives" Reminds of the song "It must be witchcraft" And these people want me to believe in all their economic forecasts? Geeze. I must go back for some more metronome therapy my BS meter is off a degree or two. 

It is good indeed to see that the authority for seeding the clouds , is swinging this state of the art rain making gizmo  into action , I was only thinking Ha ha Ha the other day,  why haven't they started seeding early to pickup the low dams , and now they are , I am pleased that this is happening , it relieves the drought problem so much , without it Thailand would be a desert.............................:coffee1:

I wasn't aware they also have thunder, lighting, and high wind seeding operations to accompany the rain.  

Most impressive. 

Perhaps they should use this amazing wizardry during times of drought. 

Even better,  militarize it,  increase the strength,  and save money by not having to buy submarines and other useless weapons of war. Simply Article 44 mother nature and call it a day. 

13 hours ago, heybruce said:

So the government can't be held responsible for bad weather, the El Nino caused drought, but will take credit for the end of El Nino and the return to normal weather?

Actually, this is a La Nina year and greater than average rainfall is expected across SE Asia.

On 8/26/2016 at 3:09 PM, Thechook said:

DELETED

Remember too there's one all important word in the title of the department responsible for rainmaking.

An old gf once told me that when that word appears it changes everything including thoughts and comment.

Edited by seedy
quote hidden post

I have 2 questions:

Despite all their efforts cloud seeding last year it was one of the driest years in the recorded history of Thailand. So why are they so quick to take full credits for this year's rain?

They claim to have created more rain than what occurs naturally for an entire year. To put this in perspective, if the average rainfall for a year is 1 meter and this year was average then they are claiming it rained 2.55 meter--1 meter naturally and 1.55 meters from seeding. Does the governments own rainfall statistics comparing this year to average support this?

4 hours ago, Rorri said:

It's the wet season, it rains, so how can they say it fell due to "seeding".

Oh come on. We aren't talking about high IQ's here, we're talking about 3rd world, where the national mean IQ is significantly lower than the world mean IQ. We're talking about mainly pleasant but mainly pretty dim people, many of whom will believe whatever someone in a pretty uniform with lots of coloured ribbons tells them, including this. This is not accidental, it's been a deliberate strategy for decades so Thailand can have it's feudal barons nice and rich at the expense of everyone else.

It's all a part of the charm of Thainess. Let's celebrate it, because it's what keeps the prices down for you and me. A dog just can't be a cat no matter how much it wants to be or how much it howls that it already is.

Winnie

Thailand's fat lady is singing and they've got someone oiling the wheels on the tumbrils already...

Edited by Winniedapu