Has anyone started a hotel business in Thailand ?

Hey there just my 5 cents worth

I previously ran a hotel in Patong and its not easy if you are eager give me a PM

I am totally convinced you need what I have

Edited by Jai Dee
email address removed as per forum rules

I have been looking around before and came to the conclusion that most are priced as: Work your ass off during the 3-year lease, without any salary, and you might, i say you might get your money back (similar to what you should have had in salary) if you have manage it well and have it fully booked the whole time. Then when the landlord sees that you have got the business going well, they will do anything to get rid of you and sell the lease again... Buy it instead if you have the money. If not, don't.

I have had quite a few friends here rent hotels. Only one in eight ever sought a new lease. Some of the places were real decent. Doing the math is important when considering a venture like this. It can almost be similar to opening a restaurant and not knowing the business. I would make use of the posters offering you tips and listen to there advice.

I always thought of it as kind of being responsible in some way for someone's holiday. If you mess up its all over the net as well.

If it's an older place and it has not been maintained. Then you really need to think about it......I just think that dealing with a pool, air cons, maids, Gardners, drunk or loud guests or guests who want everything perfect would be a Nightmare.

I have respect for the people who pull it off. Hard job.

1 hour ago, sandgroper2 said:

Sorry about that, its just that I loath to state the obvious.

What may be obvious to you, is not obvious to everyone. The statement was simply to set up the question.  Which is why I hoped you were referring to the question. Simply referring to the statement is doing what you say you loath.

Like many have said, its definitely not easy. It also depends on your budget and how big of a hotel you are trying to run. In Thailand it is so competitive, unless you have a niche type of hotel that caters specifically to a certain market / that your location beats out everyone, you will have a hard time surviving. You are better off at running an apartment near a university. Profit is not as much as running a hotel, but a lot easier to take care of and the business is very stable.

In all seriousness, come out to Thailand and stop into just about any of the medium or small sized hotels you are interested in.  Ask for the owner and say you would greatly appreciate a chat and Q and A session.  Of course offer a good dinner and drinks.  I chatted with several foreign owners when I was very close to buying in to Thailand and moving to Thailand.  The Thaksin coup overthrow showed me enough red flags that I decided to not buy anything and keep doing my engineering contracting gigs in the USA and just take holidays in Thailand. 

Here in the USA, two of my best friends owned a hotel and a bed and breakfast.  The bed and breakfast was OK for one of them, but the hotel was a big drag on my other friend and his wife.  So many issues with patrons, getting good and reliable maids.  Low skills needed but unfortunately reliability and stability are not easy.  My friend and his wife were doing laundry and folding sheets well into most evenings.  Lots of hands on time needed.  Now if a much bigger place and it is profitable, then of course you would have a manager(s) and  you don't need to be around much.  If a seasonal business, well, you need to have cash or credit to carry you through until the high seasons.  Very much often overlooked aspect.

And having been in the family restaurant business, I can tell you first hand how much time and hassle that can be in general, never mind the peculiarities of running a place in Thailand

On 07/09/2016 at 10:35 AM, smotherb said:

What may be obvious to you, is not obvious to everyone. The statement was simply to set up the question.  Which is why I hoped you were referring to the question. Simply referring to the statement is doing what you say you loath.

Sorry, cant comment on the subject anymore, half way through reading the yellow pages.