Motorists warned against using device to conceal license plates

rooster59

10 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I hate you.......I want one..

download.jpg

in the '60s, a welder friend had one  at Castle Donington Power Station in the UK and ran it on Trichoethylene. We used to make our own silencers and he made one for the Jowett. After he installed the silencer he could not figure out why the car started and then quickly cut out. When we checked the silencer box we found that he had forgotten to cut the holes out for the exhaust gases to flow through the silencer!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RBOP said:

What if its parked? Some of those 9999 plates are worth million's of baht.

หห 9999 will cost you around 3m baht. 

No one is going to conceal the plate when spending that amount on a license plate. 9999 being on the cheaper side of the vanity plates. 

Right in front of my condo is a police check almost every day. At least 2 or 3 times a week I see the same blue Lamborghini being waved through while everyone else gets a ticket. 

There is no need to conceal anything. 

Edited by JerryinTH

5 minutes ago, JerryinTH said:

No one is going to conceal the plate when spending that amount on a license plate. 9999 being on the cheaper side of the vanity plates. 

Right in front of my condo is a police check almost every day. At least 2 or 3 times a week I see the same blue Lamborghini being waved through while everyone else gets a ticket. 

Why would everyone else get a ticket? For driving?

15 hours ago, petermik said:

My car,s a Jowett Javelin............will one fit on it  :(

A most unfortunate example of vehicle, leading one to doubt your knowledge of milestone automotive  engineering feats,and causing one to ponder upon the motive for such a choice .

It is also a smear upon the name of Eberan von Eberhorst who was responsible for much of the Javelin and Jupiter design.

Why didn't you choose to denigrate Ferdinand Porsche for his VW Beetle design ? Andre Citroen for the Traction Avant ? Vincenzo Lancia for the Lambda ? All exceptionally talented engineers . ...and please note ,not a single Brit amongst them.

Shame !

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It would be interesting to see the video of this device in use.

Years ago in the UK, it was claimed that spraying hairspray on the number plate would prevent cameras recognising it. No idea if it was true however.

Well, might I suggest spraying hairspray on your license plate and taking a picture to see?

1 minute ago, PattayaBoy said:

There is special spray for it now. Speed cameras won't see it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I was responding to bluesofa who said, "It would be interesting to see the video of this device in use.

Years ago in the UK, it was claimed that spraying hairspray on the number plate would prevent cameras recognising it. No idea if it was true however."

As I have said before, I do not like some of the new modifications made to TV; not showing the previous post confuses many posters who do not read the source of the comments upon which they respond.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

I agree. 3 months ago we took delivery of a new pickup.

I said to the wife why no red plates, i want to save money !!! What when we get the regular plates you get the money back.

Point is she drove for 9 weeks with no plates never stopped.

Thai vehicle code allows driving with Red Plates for 3-months.

Dealer charges REFUNDABLE money returned when exchanging Red Plates for Regular Plates at the Dealer.

DMV Car registration start at day Dealer issues Red Plates which dates is written in Brown book belonging to the Red Plates with additional info about temporary user of Red Plates and end of use of Red Plates and date..

The Dealer is in violation of DMV code when not issuing and attaching Red Plates to newly bought vehicle.

20 hours ago, ezflip said:

Only 2,000baht fine??? If they can afford a 10million baht car, then 2,000 is nothing. It's the same cost as a regular fill up.

A fine this low is just an annoyance for them, not a real deterrent.

how right. this ought to be classified under penal code and 2K fine is a joke.

7 minutes ago, swerver said:

Thai vehicle code allows driving with Red Plates for 3-months.

Dealer charges REFUNDABLE money returned when exchanging Red Plates for Regular Plates at the Dealer.

DMV Car registration start at day Dealer issues Red Plates which dates is written in Brown book belonging to the Red Plates with additional info about temporary user of Red Plates and end of use of Red Plates and date..

The Dealer is in violation of DMV code when not issuing and attaching Red Plates to newly bought vehicle.

amazing enforcement ....

1 hour ago, JerryinTH said:

some people have all the luck.

20 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

There are many drivers that keep their license plates inside their cars so they don't get stolen!?!?! Along those lines, I see many vehicles not using lights at night to save gas!?!?!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I don't buy gas 'cause I don't drive.  I produce my own gas from eating Issan and Lao veggi food.  If I could figure out a way to capture it now that would be a business... 

17 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I place my numberplate behind the grille, whilst semi obscured it was still readable, sort of.

police told me to move it back out front or risk a 500b fine

You were lucky to be given the option. They must have been in a good mood that day.

12 minutes ago, huahinjoe said:

Plate flippers are the real deal, so they can't really get caught, flipping in 1.2seconds at a speed of 200km/h...

Thanks for posting the video huahinjoe.

I was just curious as to how it worked in reality. If I remember, the James Bond version just kept rotating on a central axis - was it capable of showing four different number plates?

This newer version is pretty snazzy, although there are two plates it alternates between.

3 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

About 20% of vehicles around these parts have one or no number plates.   Motorbikes are the biggest offenders but who cares ? Certainly not the Cops.

First you have to make money to afford a traffic fine. The cops are looking for the kernels not the chaff. 

3 hours ago, RBOP said:

What if its parked? Some of those 9999 plates are worth million's of baht.

Well if you get the documentation transferred into your name it has a value, but until then it's just a trophy for the thief and an inconvenience for the actual owner.

21 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

There are many drivers that keep their license plates inside their cars so they don't get stolen!?!?! Along those lines, I see many vehicles not using lights at night to save gas!?!?!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Thats why don't use light even in heavy rain? For save petrol? OMG 

3 hours ago, AlphMichaels said:

Just can't make this S%@#! up!!  

FINE=50,000THB PLUS loss of license ONE year PLUS impound of vehicle, ONE year.    Then enforce with prejudice.  

Plus illegal to manufacture or to sell with stiff penalties.