Embassy Or Immigration?

I am in a situation where I am due to start work in Hong Kong very soon, between 4 days and one week, the thing is I have no set date as yet and although I know I will be going soon, my visa expires in about 4 days - so it looks like I will have to do a visa run for the sake of a couple of days which is a huge waste of time and money.

I could overstay but it wouldn't look good on my record, so I was wondering if I could explain the situation to immigration or my embassy and perhaps get a 10 day extension if I could prove I had employment in HK or better still, if I bought and produced an onward ticket.

Thanks in advance for any helpful pointers.

Well an extension will cost at least 1,900 baht which is the price of a border run so all you will save is a little time. Without a ticket immigration may not want to extend your stay but you can give it a try, although it may risk the money.

Why not go to Hongkong a few days early?

I have too many loose ends to tie up, I thought I had another week but I have to condense everything into two days now.

Would it really be that bad to overstay just two days or should I go to immigration today and pay 1,900 for two extra days?

Also, what time does immigration close?

Thanks

It would be very bad if police check you and find you on overstay as that means jail. It would also not be nice if HK noticed that overstay and said we don't want you. Nor would it be nice if next entry the immigration officer says you had your chance and now you stay out.

None of the above is likely. But you do take that risk. Is it really worth 1,900 baht?

Believe Immigration closes at either 16 or 1630 but not sure on that.