Looking for friendly affordable BKK expat neighborhood for an older man.

dblaisde

Sorry if this seems a lot like my last post. I've rethought it a bit...Location isn't so important any more. A friendly expat community is....

I'm 70 and looking for a *sociable* older expat neighborhood within a 10/20 minutes walk from the BTS or MRT. I'd like cafes, bars, eatries or parks where I can chat up and meet people, since I probably won't know a soul when I arrive. Quiet walkable streets is a plus.

I'm fine with a **Studio Apartment** and have a 10-20K/mo. budget, preferring the lower end since utilities add considerably to that. I do
n't need much space, or a conference room, or marble bathtub. ("Just a place to lay my hat and a few friends", as Dorothy Parker once said)

All this is on Doctor's Orders: "If you want to keep walking, you can't keep climbing stairs", he told me. (my GH of 8 years here is a 2-3 floor walkup). So an elevator would help my knees and I'll have easier access to concerts and discussions in "The Big City".

Thanks for your patience. I know I could plod all over Bangkok, but I'd rather plod all over people's recommendations first.

Edited by dblaisde

I would look at the Rangnam Road area. It's bustling, chockablock with eateries (Western and Thai) and cafes, the Century Mall with a supermarket in the basement at one end and a couple more malls in 5min. walking, as is the VM BTS station, and the cherry on top is the Santiphab park in the middle to burn off the night's festivities.

Expats? It's been a while since I lived on Rangnam but I doubt the situation has changed. There are no exclusive expat stations as such, e.g., bars in the Nana area, but you probably couldn't go 100 meters in any direction along Rangnam without passing a farang walking by. Many live in the vicinity and I doubt you'll have a problem meeting up.

For a particular recommendation I would suggest the building I lived in, VP Tower on Soi Chawarkul. Two year ago studios were 10-15k depending on how up in the clouds you wanted to be. A slightly older building but well-maintained with friendly staff.

Edited by The Dancer

What about deep down soi 4, just a little away from the nightlife, plenty of guys similar age, coffee shops one or two quieter bars, and Bangkok,s latest park right on your doorstep. If I was a free and single 70 year old that's probably where I would be. 

30 minutes ago, wordchild said:

What about deep down soi 4, just a little away from the nightlife, plenty of guys similar age, coffee shops one or two quieter bars, and Bangkok,s latest park right on your doorstep. If I was a free and single 70 year old that's probably where I would be. 

Of course I know the, ahem, upper part of Soi 4 quite well, but I've never been down more than 5 blocks from Sukumvit. I'll wander through it in the next few days and scope it out. 

7 hours ago, dblaisde said:

Of course I know the, ahem, upper part of Soi 4 quite well, but I've never been down more than 5 blocks from Sukumvit. I'll wander through it in the next few days and scope it out.

have a look at soi 2 as well while you are at it, i know someone who lives a bit of a way down there and loves it.  nice and quiet (as long as you are not facing the highway)  and also connects to soi 4 in a couple of places.

Not sure if this fits what you want but go on line and look at:

www.tanataweyplaces.com

and look at the accomadations/rates on their URL

9 floor apartment building not far from Fortune mall.

Bangkok Bank branch and fast food places in Fortune Mall.

i am "mobility limited" as the doctors say so I look for places with access ramps and try to avoid stairways if i can.

all acess by lifts(elevators) so no stair climbing.

restaurant/conveinence store downstairs for small purchass.

Air conditioned, with local cable television in rooms. (some English news and other English programs)

24 hour internet access for 430 Baht for a 30 day access(renewable at front desk registration)

residents mostly Asian and Chinese visitors, as residence is near Chinese embessy.

Some foriegn (European tourists or other Farang visitors also)

Access to MRT by local Tuk-Tuk operated by residence hourly (free) for residents.

I have a 3 month contract, but pay monthly at end of each month (stamped reciept is given and may be used as proof of residence to show immigration when asked, "So where do you stay in Bangkok?".

Costs me between 18,000 and 20, 000 Baht monthly for studio apartment with once weekly maid cleaning service.

24 hour seurity gaurd, access to residents floors controlled by your room key from downstairs ftom locked entry door to elevators.

Not perfect, but one of the best places I have found so far in Bangkok for a 70 year old man to stay (me)

Go online at that URL, and take a look at what they are offering.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Ten years aago I move to the Minburi area off Ramkhamhaeng 164  (soi Perfect) temporary and found it so good that I stayed here.golf courses in the area,three small frange run pubs good restaurants NO CRIME low to medium rents and lots of friendly farange school teachers of various nationalities.Nice market street (soi 166). I would also recomend the Semmerkorn area ,soi 110 and soi 112 .Also off Ramkhamhaeng Road. More up scale restaurants and clubs in this area but friendly farangs along with medium rents. Soi 118 area is a bit more higher rents but also a good place to live.

Omni in soi 4 is a good bet, you can walk through to Rama 4 and even get to Lumpini park relatively easily if you like walking.

The new park which was part of the old government Tobacco complex is good too and  its very rare to find anything in Bangkok near a bit of greenery at a reasonable price.

I lived in Soi 4 for a while 18 years ago and its better now, if not quite so much fun.

I'd avoid soi 4 if I was the OP

Full of miserable old sods complaining about the price of a beer, the prices the bar-girls charge for a bed-session and the continuing decline of the white, Anglo-Saxon male's stock in this country.

'They used to love us, y'know'

His best bet is somewhere like Ekkamai.

It's still possible to find a studio for 20K and there's more bars, cafes and restaurants with friendly, less-bitter expats

Hello, I am living in Bangna Bangkok about 10 minutes with the bus to the BTS ( bus stops for my apartment ). Name of the Condo Baan Suan Lasalle, next to Sikarin Hospital ( you never no on our ages ) and next to the

condo Tops Supermarket, Starbucks, 7Eleven and many many eating and drinking places. The neighborhood is very friendly with all kind of people. Bus and taxis for the condo and all major shopping centers like BIGC,

Makro, Foodland, Central Bangna, Mega, Seacon Square all in 10 minutes driving and all you can do easy by the bus. Sukhumvit Road driving 10 minuts with the car or easy accessable by BTS ( 12 minutes from the condo)

All apartments are 2 bedroom and 1 bathroom, 1 livingroom, european kitchen with everything. Privat parking, swimmimgpool, fitness centre. Price 11000 baht included everything except electricity, true internet and tv and

water. If you want more info or pictures let me know.

7 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

I'd avoid soi 4 if I was the OP

Full of miserable old sods complaining about the price of a beer, the prices the bar-girls charge for a bed-session and the continuing decline of the white, Anglo-Saxon male's stock in this country.

'They used to love us, y'know'

His best bet is somewhere like Ekkamai.

It's still possible to find a studio for 20K and there's more bars, cafes and restaurants with friendly, less-bitter expats

Well I have lived in Ekkamai too. The traffic is  really impossible, there is no where to walk to and most of the pubs and clubs are for rich hiso wanabe kids.

soi 4 is much more central and has access to the few green bits in central Bangkok. Much better bet for an older gentleman.  Its easy to avoid the moaners if you want to.

One more I lived in was soi Pippet, just of soi Convent that had some reasonable apartments, but it was a long time ago. 

One more I lived in near Tesco Lotus near Klong toi, Rama 4 probably the only place you can get a big pool and gym (grotty but worked) for the price left in Bangkok.

I forget the name and my driver has just arrived to take me to the airport to bring me back to sanity in Thailand for a few short weeks. Hoo bloody ray, so got to go. I will remember the name and post it later.

4 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Not sure if this fits what you want but go on line and look at:

www.tanataweyplaces.com

and look at the accomadations/rates on their URL

9 floor apartment building not far from Fortune mall.

Bangkok Bank branch and fast food places in Fortune Mall.

i am "mobility limited" as the doctors say so I look for places with access ramps and try to avoid stairways if i can.

all acess by lifts(elevators) so no stair climbing.

restaurant/conveinence store downstairs for small purchass.

Air conditioned, with local cable television in rooms. (some English news and other English programs)

24 hour internet access for 430 Baht for a 30 day access(renewable at front desk registration)

residents mostly Asian and Chinese visitors, as residence is near Chinese embessy.

Some foriegn (European tourists or other Farang visitors also)

Access to MRT by local Tuk-Tuk operated by residence hourly (free) for residents.

I have a 3 month contract, but pay monthly at end of each month (stamped reciept is given and may be used as proof of residence to show immigration when asked, "So where do you stay in Bangkok?".

Costs me between 18,000 and 20, 000 Baht monthly for studio apartment with once weekly maid cleaning service.

24 hour seurity gaurd, access to residents floors controlled by your room key from downstairs ftom locked entry door to elevators.

Not perfect, but one of the best places I have found so far in Bangkok for a 70 year old man to stay (me)

Go online at that URL, and take a look at what they are offering.

That's an incorrect URL the correct one is   http://www.tanatawey.com/

I know you are asking about Bangkok but I think that there are far better places for you to settle away from the pollution and expense of Bangkok. Try to persuade your lady to move to Chiang Mai or similar - much easier to get around, much nicer and more friendly expat scene - at least it was when I was there some years ago.

Thanks to all. Good suggestions here! I'll give most of these a walk around and see how and where I'd fit in. This will be a be change from my quiet life by the river in Banlampoo. But very few elevator hotels nearby and it's an hour/hour and a half to get to places like Asok at night, so OFF I GO!

You'd be better off in Chiang Mai, costs are lower.

Is the 10K - 20K budget  total, or just for the apartment?

There are plenty of studio apartments here for 6 - 10K. A swimming pool bumps up the cost to 10K -15K.

Expat clubs here for just about everything.

Much easier to get around.Bangkok reminds me of a bowl of spaghetti.

24 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

You'd be better off in Chiang Mai, costs are lower.

Is the 10K - 20K budget  total, or just for the apartment?

There are plenty of studio apartments here for 6 - 10K. A swimming pool bumps up the cost to 10K -15K.

Expat clubs here for just about everything.

Much easier to get around.Bangkok reminds me of a bowl of spaghetti.

No way you could have spent time in Bangkok

You simply cant beat the BTS and MRT for getting around anywhere in downtown Bangkok. In fact its one of the worlds most efficient big city transport systems and all for a few baht a trip

Not sure why you would even recommend Chang mai in comparison, its a bit red neck for city slickers

41 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

One of the worlds most efficient transport systems??? lol It is okay but doesn't compare to any of the worlds best.

Pretty outstanding for a developing country at a few baht a trip. I can think of a long list of 1st worlds that dont even come close! So yes most defiantly one of the worlds best

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

Pretty outstanding for a developing country at a few baht a trip. I can think of a long list of 1st worlds that dont even come close! So yes most defiantly one of the worlds best

I see where you are coming from but very few have the best. Thailand is better than many but not amongst the handful of the best. The price is also pretty hefty for a local here. 

48 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

One of the worlds most efficient transport systems??? lol It is okay but doesn't compare to any of the worlds best.

Actually they do compare very favourably and I worked on most of the best.

11 hours ago, MiKT said:

One more I lived in was soi Pippet, just of soi Convent that had some reasonable apartments, but it was a long time ago. 

One more I lived in near Tesco Lotus near Klong toi, Rama 4 probably the only place you can get a big pool and gym (grotty but worked) for the price left in Bangkok.

I forget the name and my driver has just arrived to take me to the airport to bring me back to sanity in Thailand for a few short weeks. Hoo bloody ray, so got to go. I will remember the name and post it later.

Back in the land of the living!

It was Rompo Mansion. 115 Rimthang Rodfai Road | Khlong Toey, Khlong Toey, Bangkok 10110,

Seems to have been updated since my day and getting good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Well worth a look.

Good Luck wherever you go.

On 9/7/2016 at 6:07 PM, pomchop said:

Down towards the far end of soi 4 and pretty close to the new park is Omni....lot of guys seem to live there year round.  Studios from about 15 k baht a month.,, no shortage of restaurants, bars, and you name it on soi 4.

http://bangkokomni.com/

I stayed at the Omni for a month before moving to the Dawin - seemed like a lot of Indians/middle easterners with up to 10 people in the apts, the Mgt folks were always arguing with the middle easterners for having too any people, have seen the BiB in the lobby a time or two,  the upper floors however are reserved for the "Good Fahlungs according to the front desk"  -  closer to the Tobacco Monopoly Complex, there's a smaller hotel on the right that rents month to month  12-20K  and will even store your things when you are traveling - I now two semi-retired Americans who work part time about six months a year that live there.   Forgot the name, but its all the way down.

I used to stay on Soi 11 a lot, but last time I moved across the street to Soi 8, lots of residences down that soi - worth a look.