Proxy Settings

Jared

Ive just moved house and got a TT&T adsl broadband line connected, what a pain in the ass that was. Thats for another thread. Anyway since Ive had this installed I cant seem to download bit torrents. Ive done loads of searches on the net and cant find anything to help me mainly because I dont really understand. I know its something to do with the proxy settings and I have to tell the Router which proxy settings to use. Anyone had the same problem and managed to sort it out?

I have a 1mb adsl connection. The router is from avbell.com. I can open webpages fine but when i first try and log onto msn messegnger it cannot connect as its says something is wrong with my proxy settings, msn automatically sorts this out. My machine is about 90,000 bahts worth I use it for work. From what ive read on forums and general sites is that somewhere there shouls be an option to allow these ports through, the outbound port is 6969 in there are several incoming ports. I just dont know what to set this up. Cheers

First of all you need a static ip adress, here's how to:

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

I use Utorrent and are forwarding a port in the 40000-50000 range.

Ex: 59352

Make sure you set this port in your torrent client, after that forward in router.

The portforward.com site is a very good reference for setting up most routers.

Unfortunately I don't see any of the "avbell" ones listed.

Any way, you can have a look here:

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Cheers for those links mate, ive been following the instructions and ive still not managed to get it to work. I found my router which is an Xavi x8821r+. In the end I payed someone to have a look and try and get it working, he couldnt get it to work either and reconmended buying a new router. Could I just buy a modem and save all this hassel or would a modem not work with the connection.

Thats strange ive never had to adjust any settings with my modems in the UK, ive been with 3 isp over the years. Here in Thailand at my last apartment everything work fine although i was on a lan connection. Ive added all the reconmended ports but still it wont work. Also it takes a few times for me to sign into msn messenger always says unable to find dns and my proxy settings are not set correct. I also read on another forum that this modem has some fault with the dns that is why i may just go and buy a new modem. Im missing all my western tv shows, I cant live on Thai tv i need my fix of Lost and prison break

Edited by Jared

Thats strange ive never had to adjust any settings with my modems in the UK, ive been with 3 isp over the years. Here in Thailand at my last apartment everything work fine although i was on a lan connection. Ive added all the reconmended ports but still it wont work. Also it takes a few times for me to sign into msn messenger always says unable to find dns and my proxy settings are not set correct. I also read on another forum that this modem has some fault with the dns that is why i may just go and buy a new modem. Im missing all my western tv shows, I cant live on Thai tv i need my fix of Lost and prison break

Well Lost got found by........lets say a lottery ticket number and......NO, I can't do it to you man, don't want to be a Homer! Happy trails.

Edited by SamuiJens