Wifi Booster

spot

I'm staying at my wife's parents house and I'm getting True Wifi delivered today.

The house has an old windows computer downstairs which they want to keep using .

I want to use my macbook on the second (3rd) floor via wifi.

The phone line is on the ground (first) floor, so I assume the wifi unit will have to be placed there..

Which means I will need a booster to reach my macbook.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Your best bet is to put a repeater just at the edge where the downstairs accesspoint can be received. The repeater will then re-transmit any package it hears...

Some of d-link's access points can be set to operate as repeaters...

The d-link 900 AP+ for example. Only 801.11b, so only 11mbps, but still way faster of what True adsl will give you :o

Even with a 801.11g repeater you'll lose a lot of speed so If you really need high transfer rates (e.g. multimedia streaming from your own desktop downstairs to your macbook on the 3th floor) then you better pull a network cable from downstairs to upstairs so you can hook up a second 801.11g accesspoint to it.

Which means I will need a booster to reach my macbook.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

I won't be that sure. First test it out whether you have a signal strength of at least 60-70 dBm. If so no additional hardware needed. In case you need additional hardware, think about a more universal solution such as a wireless router with WDS, AP, client mode, AP+WDS, etc. functions. It ensures future use. You could think about the Linksys WRT54GL V1.1 with third party firmware HyperWRT which also let you adjust transmit power. Your whole neighbourhood could enjoy WIFI if you like.

Petch01