David Cameron steps down as MP for Witney

webfact

David Cameron steps down as MP for Witney

Sarah Joanne Taylor

606x341_343753.jpg

LONDON: -- Former UK Prime Minister David Cameron is to step down as the MP for Witney, seemingly ending his political career.

The move will prompt a by-election in the Oxfordshire constituency.

He resigned as head of government in June, 2016, after failing to convince British and Northern Irish voters to remain in the European Union.

Relegated to the backbenches, he now says he doesn’t want to be a “distraction” to new Prime Minister Theresa May.

“With modern politics, with the circumstances of my resignation, it isn’t really possible to be a proper backbench MP, as a former prime minister. I think everything you do will become a big distraction and a big diversion from what the government needs to do for our country,” he said from Witney.

May, who was his Home Secretary (Interior Minister) at the time of the Brexit vote, has been “very understanding” about his decision, he said.

Witney has been a Conservative Party stronghold since 1974. After 15 years in the position, Cameron says he will give his full backing to the next Tory candidate for the constituency.

He denied claims his decision to quit was related to the new government’s moves towards introducing new grammar schools, a policy he was against during his time in office.

Cameron was, instead, keen to praise Theresa May’s first months as prime minister, saying she has “got off to a cracking start.”

While he may be remembered as the prime minister who led the UK out of the EU, Cameron said he hoped his tenure would be recalled for a strong economy, “important social reforms” and a transformation of the Conservative Party.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-13

After his humiliation and capitulation at the hands of the EU at the start of the year, I do not think he had any option.

Who would now vote for a spineless jellyfish, even in a local election.

53 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Company Directorships, an EU post or even a peerage awaits.

The futures so bright, I've got to wear shades.

The rewards for failure are stunning for these sadsacks.

My guess is he is moving to the Falklands. Apparently with wind patterns and ocean currents it is one of the best places on earth to survive the coming nuclear apocalypse he guaranteed was inevitable if the leave side won the Brexit referendum. :P

19 hours ago, Ulic said:

My guess is he is moving to the Falklands.   Apparently with wind patterns and ocean currents it is one of the best places on earth to survive the coming nuclear apocalypse he guaranteed was inevitable if the leave side won the Brexit referendum. :P

Yes, it is quite likely he wants out before the economy really tanks.  Did you catch the British Chamber of Commerce's forecast yesterday?  They predict a loss of 43.8 billion from the economy by 2018, kind of makes the 8.5 billion EU contribution seem insignificant, doesn't it?  I think there are some Brexiteers out there who are deluded into thinking things haven't gone as predicted so far, they have, things have gone exactly as predicted, the pound went down 10%, this provided a boost to the stock market, now we are waiting to see if we head into recession which was predicted to take about 6 months to happen.  We shall see but it certainly isn't looking good.

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Other jobs lined up without a shadow of doubt, look how much dosh Blair has turned over since he went.  Lordship to follow of course.

Yeah ex PM's making loads of dosh must be unusual after all I doubt Lady Thatcher would have done the same would she? For some reason there are people out there who want to listen to ex PM's and pay them lots of money for the privilege so I daresay Cameron will earn some extra pocket money doing exactly what Thatcher and Blair did.

6 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Poor man, what's he going to do now he's unemployed ?            :gigglem:

What a  hoot does not want to be a distraction to Theresa May? How chivalrous. Hey David fill out your application for your generous pension I imagine you can start collecting immediately. Be like Stevie "wonder boy" Harper and put together a consulting service and hook up with a prestigious international law firm and start selling all the connections you made as PM over the years. Your no longer PM so forget the phrase "The buck stops here" This is where the beaucoup bucks start. If your lucky you can go through this phase numerous times before your 65 sit on the board of directors for prestigious companies and collect a fat fee its all gold from here on out. Did people actually think you took the PM's job to help the people? How stupid of them. 

11 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Poor man, what's he going to do now he's unemployed ?            :gigglem:

Sign-on as soon as he can of course!

While he waits the big financial corporation offers, the speaking circuit offers, and counts his and his missus wealth.

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Not really genned up on UK politics the last 12-15 years, but as politicians go, and what i saw and read bout him, i thought he was a pretty decent chap.

Wasn't one of the worst. 

But he made a real buggers muddle of the Brexit referendum - failed to even consider loosing and therefore set no minimum voter turnout and winning margin rules. 

His apparent "being economical with the truth" over his family's creative tax avoidance whilst accusing others of being "morally" guilty although not legally breaking any law, of tax avoidance cost him a lot of credibility and turned a lot of wavering voters against him.

There is no doubt he and Osborne and remaining in EU would have seen a better future, certainly in the short and medium turn, for the British economy. But he really bungled that.

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Wasn't one of the worst. 

But he made a real buggers muddle of the Brexit referendum - failed to even consider loosing and therefore set no minimum voter turnout and winning margin rules. 

His apparent "being economical with the truth" over his family's creative tax avoidance whilst accusing others of being "morally" guilty although not legally breaking any law, of tax avoidance cost him a lot of credibility and turned a lot of wavering voters against him.

There is no doubt he and Osborne and remaining in EU would have seen a better future, certainly in the short and medium turn, for the British economy. But he really bungled that.

I don't know how you are rating them, but he saw a bigger increase of debt that all Labour governments since 1900 combined, as far as the economy goes he was very much one of the worst, I guess that' what happens when you let your completely unqualified mate have a job as the chancellor.

7 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

I don't know how you are rating them, but he saw a bigger increase of debt that all Labour governments since 1900 combined, as far as the economy goes he was very much one of the worst, I guess that' what happens when you let your completely unqualified mate have a job as the chancellor.

Did you miss the bit about getting the deficit down then? Austerity hurts. The 2008 crash caused pain and those responsible for that crash mostly got off free as usual. However, unemployment was down, the stock market recovering, pound strong, and investments into the UK doing well.

Let's see how those things go now following Brexit shall we?

Qualified chancellor - like good old creative Gordon perhaps? Flogging off the Gold reserves cheaply, easing financial rules to help mates at the banks, and then getting the crap end of the spoon when Blair buggered off? Yeah, real professionals.

18 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Off to the US, onto the speaking circuit, wife Sam. is going to launch her own fashion label, he'll be richer than Tony in under two years.

Thinks he's already richer than the Blairs. His missus comes from a family more wealthy than his.

Certainly ain't gonna starve!

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Did you miss the bit about getting the deficit down then? Austerity hurts. The 2008 crash caused pain and those responsible for that crash mostly got off free as usual. However, unemployment was down, the stock market recovering, pound strong, and investments into the UK doing well.

Let's see how those things go now following Brexit shall we?

Qualified chancellor - like good old creative Gordon perhaps? Flogging off the Gold reserves cheaply, easing financial rules to help mates at the banks, and then getting the crap end of the spoon when Blair buggered off? Yeah, real professionals.

Funnily enough, I left out the Tory propaganda.  The fact is that Labour inherited a deficit in 1996/7 of -2.7% and by 2007/08 had reduced it to -0.4%, so despite their increase in public spending Labour had actually reduced the deficit by 85% prior to the crash. The IMF have ruled that the following increase in deficit was caused by a lowering in GDP coupled with increase in expenditure incurred by the global crisis, so it is clear that the deficit that the Tories inherited was nothing to do with Labour policy, and what else is clear is that Labour were able to reduce the deficit while increasing public spending.  Now, what is it that you want to congratulate Osbourne for?  Reducing deficit by reducing public spending?  All that did was make the people worse off and protect the elite.  In 2010 when the Tories came to power, the debt was 800 billion which was 62% of our GDP, by 2015 it was 1.5 trillion which was 81% of our GDP, I can assure you they were very bad for our economy despite what they might have Murdoch tell you.

By the way, Brown sold off our gold at a record low to prevent a banking collapse as they had all ran out of gold with which to loan against, it may have looked like a bad move to the ignorant but without it we might not have seen a  crash, we might have seen a total collapse.

7 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Yeah ex PM's making loads of dosh must be unusual after all I doubt Lady Thatcher would have done the same would she? For some reason there are people out there who want to listen to ex PM's and pay them lots of money for the privilege so I daresay Cameron will earn some extra pocket money doing exactly what Thatcher and Blair did.

I could be wrong but I think Maggie was the first to get on the US lecture circuit at £20,000 a time I believe which was nothing compared to the sums Blair commanded as he took it to a new height.

Blair was well looked after by the American who also got him the post as Middle East Envoy and I suppose everything was his just reward for being the best PM of Britain the US ever had.

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I could be wrong but I think Maggie was the first to get on the US lecture circuit at £20,000 a time I believe which was nothing compared to the sums Blair commanded as he took it to a new height.

Blair was well looked after by the American who also got him the post as Middle East Envoy and I suppose everything was his just reward for being the best PM of Britain the US ever had.

Maggie was also the first to set her son up as an international arms dealer whilst simultaneously stirring up conflicts all over the world.

5 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

Funnily enough, I left out the Tory propaganda.  The fact is that Labour inherited a deficit in 1996/7 of -2.7% and by 2007/08 had reduced it to -0.4%, so despite their increase in public spending Labour had actually reduced the deficit by 85% prior to the crash. The IMF have ruled that the following increase in deficit was caused by a lowering in GDP coupled with increase in expenditure incurred by the global crisis, so it is clear that the deficit that the Tories inherited was nothing to do with Labour policy,   Now, what is it that you want to congratulate Osbourne for?  Reducing deficit by reducing public spending?  All that did was make the people worse off and protect the elite.  , by 2015 it was 1.5 trillion which was 81% of our GDP, I can assure you they were very bad for our economy despite what they might have Murdoch tell you.

By the way, Brown sold off our gold at a record low to prevent a banking collapse as they had all ran out of gold with which to loan against, it may have looked like a bad move to the ignorant but without it we might not have seen a  crash, we might have seen a total collapse.

Surely that is a contradiction - Quote "and what else is clear is that Labour were able to reduce the deficit while increasing public spending." Then you say Quote "In 2010 when the Tories came to power, the debt was 800 billion which was 62% of our GDP" End Quote,

and didn't the the labour chancellor leave a note saying "sorry we spent it all" on leaving office? 

Furthermore, had Osbourne not done what he did, the people would have been even worse of than that, they would have been homeless 100,000's of them! Reducing public spending, basically what the government spends on infrastructure  needed reducing.   

Edited by CharlieK

7 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Surely that is a contradiction - Quote "and what else is clear is that Labour were able to reduce the deficit while increasing public spending." Then you say Quote "In 2010 when the Tories came to power, the debt was 800 billion which was 62% of our GDP" End Quote,

and didn't the the labour chancellor leave a note saying "sorry we spent it all" on leaving office? 

Furthermore, had Osbourne not done what he did, the people would have been even worse of than that, they would have been homeless 100,000's of them! Reducing public spending, basically what the government spends on infrastructure  needed reducing.   

No, if you read it again it is not a contradiction, Labour increased public spending while reducing the deficit up until the crash, (something the tories have never been able to do), but after the crash the deficit did increase again regardless to their then reduction in spending.

The note said, "I am afraid there is no money", there was a global crisis, remember?

I have no idea why you think Osborne saved the day but I suggest you look at how other countries with slightly less than terrible fiscal policies managed to recover from the crisis and left us for dust while we stagnated and became a damn sight poorer while the elite got richer faster than ever.  If you really think they did anything for the people then you are a compete mug.