New passport number to Thai licence

Wiggy

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting a new passport. I've had Thai driving licence for a number of years now, and never has my passport number on the licence been taken much notice of (well, nobody has ever asked to see my passport in order to verify it). I was wondering how important it is to get a replacement licence with the new passport number on it as I still have three years left to run on the licence. Basically, I'd rather not have to take a day off work to go to the driving licence centre. Thanks.

I had my Thai DL updated with my new passport number about half-way through its 5-year validity since the dealer said finance company may make an issue of it when checking all the paperwork, copies of WP, DL, passport etc..

Otherwise, I would not have bothered until actual DL renewal time.

Could I have more information about this from anyone that has recently got a new passport because im in the same position with my thai drivers licence. Is a requirement to put your new passport number on your thai driving licence?

Thanks in advance

I agree with what Rottweiler said in post #4. I went to the DLT at Bangchak to inform them of my new passport number. They said no need to update the DL until renewal time.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I had my Thai DL updated with my new passport number about half-way through its 5-year validity since the dealer said finance company may make an issue of it when checking all the paperwork, copies of WP, DL, passport etc..

What sort of finance company takes reassurance that you'll repay simply because the driving license details tick and tie back to a passport ? I guess they'll also be following up to make sure the driving license is renewed in case the risk of default increases...

(Thai Urban myth) 

6 hours ago, NUUM said:

What sort of finance company takes reassurance that you'll repay simply because the driving license details tick and tie back to a passport ? I guess they'll also be following up to make sure the driving license is renewed in case the risk of default increases...

(Thai Urban myth) 

Thai fact on TWO Ford truck finance packages with TISSCO, Udon Thani branch.

Of course it has bugger all to do with guaranteeing timely payments but maybe you are unaware of the Thai pedantry when it comes to paperwork so no need to apologize for your ignorance.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Thai fact on TWO Ford truck finance packages with TISSCO, Udon Thani branch.

Of course it has bugger all to do with guaranteeing timely payments but maybe you are unaware of the Thai pedantry when it comes to paperwork so no need to apologize for your ignorance.

Nuum is correct, there is no connection at all between finance and passport number of DL. Your case may be the exception.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Nuum is correct, there is no connection at all between finance and passport number of DL. Your case may be the exception.

Indeed it was. Twice.

As always in LOS, "Your experience may vary"

(but you are aware of that already)

Well there was a thread about it last year on this forum. Actually the thread was about can Thai DL be accepted as proof of ID. This is when I realized that passport number was in my DL. As I am changing passport almost every year, I also realized that my passport number in my DL was not correct anymore. But also as never been asked about it, I thought I will not bother about it. Coincidence maybe, few weeks later, i went to a bank to open a new account. They asked me if I had a Thai DL and when they found out that the passport number was not matching with my current passport, they refused to open the account. I went then to the DL office and asked to update my passport number and they did it immediately even they told me it was not required. Went back to the bank and got my new account open.
I don't think it is mandatory but it happen to be needed in some cases...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jphasia said:

Well there was a thread about it last year on this forum. Actually the thread was about can Thai DL be accepted as proof of ID. This is when I realized that passport number was in my DL. As I am changing passport almost every year, I also realized that my passport number in my DL was not correct anymore. But also as never been asked about it, I thought I will not bother about it. Coincidence maybe, few weeks later, i went to a bank to open a new account. They asked me if I had a Thai DL and when they found out that the passport number was not matching with my current passport, they refused to open the account. I went then to the DL office and asked to update my passport number and they did it immediately even they told me it was not required. Went back to the bank and got my new account open.

Yes it is a sensible think to do ... one day ... as above... you just might find it useful. I updated and a 'rainy day' came ...

8 hours ago, jphasia said:

Since getting a car note (line of credit for a car loan) is the same as opening a bank account, I guess that's why the finance companies ask for all the numbers to match on all documents used to support the loan application, proof of ID, passport, DL, etc..

Thanks for bringing up another scenario where updating the passport number on the Thai DL is advisable..

Thanks for all the replies. The consensus seems to be that it's not wholly necessary to do, but perhaps advisable. I think I'll pop down to the DLT when my new passport arrives to change it. Plus my driving licence has cracked, so a good excuse to change it. Thanks again everyone.

Archived