Just 1000 baht fine again -  nasty taxi driver gets off lightly

webfact

Just 1000 baht fine again -  nasty taxi driver gets off lightly

a3.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver who abused a Japanese tourist creating a scene in downtown Bangkok, then refused to turn on the meter and was rude to a lady boy was fined just 1000 baht at the land office.

He was caught on video arguing with a Japanese tourist outside a hotel and threatening the hapless man with going to the police station for no apparent reason, reported Thairath.

A group of people went to help the tourist.

After this he took a lady boy and his friends home without turning on the meter. Then swore at the lady boy that if he was a real woman he would get more money.

The lady boy posted the altercations on Facebook on the "Poohty Benz" page.

When the land transport department got wind of what happened they called the owner of the taxi who turned up with the driver.

He was given a 1000 baht fine and told to do three hours of training.

He was not named.

The video was widely shared with many commenting that the fine was not enough given the driver's offences and rudeness.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-15

Even revoking their taxi-permit won't help...Then he will come to the subs of BKK to drive on somebody else's permit...I've seen it several times now.

Also motocytaxi's drive without legal vests and like maniacs in the moobaan, without helmet, no lights, full speed in the dark and they even jump at the roadbumps...

Punish them much harder please general...And if they still do it again lock them up for a while

Got to say that having just returned from 3 months in SEA, about 12 days in BKK. Only had 1 occasion where it was difficult to get a metered taxi when it was pouring with rain on Phra Arthit. The 4th taxi agreed to use the meter. On all other occasions the meter was switched on immediately and the drivers were polite and well dressed with clean cabs. All routes taken appeared to be fairly direct and the driving was  - well - normal Thai driving. Two years ago I would not have believed this, perhaps it's time for a pay rise for them.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

3 hours training. Unbelievable. That probably consisted of how to turn the meter on and off. Another article that just highlights the poor quality taxi driver that operates here in Bangkok. I know there are good ones around but they are few in numbers.

To me it is just how poor the transport department is. If they do not hand out a deterrent then the behaviour will go on, it is like they condone it...

My experience with a Thai Taxi driver , the first time I have travelled without a Thai with me , was offhandedly described by the family , a Farang on his own happens all the time , and the time a Canadian Lad was tossed out in the gutter in the late eighties and we came to his aid , combined with the continual complaints about Thailand's Taxi drivers, it's a wonder they have any tourists coming to the country at all................................................:coffee1:

Last time in Bangkok the wife and I hailed a taxi that was a Toyota Prius driven by a man wearing a pink jacket.  A good driver who never made me feel like I was going to die sometime soon.  His moderate driving earned him a 100 baht tip!

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

3 hours training. Unbelievable. That probably consisted of how to turn the meter on and off. Another article that just highlights the poor quality taxi driver that operates here in Bangkok. I know there are good ones around but they are few in numbers.

No.  Not unbelievable.  Unfortunately.  Par for the course.

I just had a run in the a Taxi driver I did not even hale. I was attempting to cross the road when a Taxi driver slowed down and stopped to try and pick me up I did not wave him down and upon seeing he was jamming up traffic I scowled at him and waved him on. He slowly pulled over and waited across from me . I know he wanted a confrontation but I went about my business then re crossed the road to go into my Condo

He started shouting at me I just ignored him and proceeded into my property There where guards there so he did not follow

He was truly disturbed by me scowling at him. He jammed up traffic and it was very clear I did not flag him down . The look I gave him was like I don;t need a cab "look:"

These cabbies really need an attitude adjustment

Unf**king believable; I just got busted in Pataya for failure to 'show' my motorbike paper date sticker in plain view outside of the bike. Spent 2 hours in Pattaya police station and forked over B400 for NOTHING. I immediately went home and cancelled three hotel rooms in town that I would normally use for shopping. When they do this to you, 'cheap Charlie' the Thais until you get your money back-no tips, etc.

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Places around the world often have part of their infamy associated to their taxi drivers.  New York was one example.  I think in Thailand's case the taxi drivers do tend to reflect what Thailand is really like.  At least from a tourists perspective

Yes, take off the beer goggles and SEE what they are really like. Sharks come to mind.