Foreigners arrested in raid on Nana 'Ethiopian Restaurant'

snoop1130

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

It's not abuse. Maybe you just have a low tolerance for anything that doesn't make sense to your Western programming.

Thailand doesn't have the same consistencies as the West. Things are shades of grey here. You knew that shit before you came. 

I've been here 8 years and, having lived in and around Asoke all that time, I've been stopped many times by police officers asking to see my passport. I've always presented a copy of the main page and the entry stamp.

Sent on my way with no questions

I'll never understand why some foreigners think the country ought to be run to make their lives as simple as possible and that anything which steps out of line with their narrow view of how things should be represents some kind of enormous affront to their high & mighty sense of personal freedom.

A stupid rationalization of a totally insane system of farang persecution. "Western Programming" sounds like the kind of apologietics that ThaiVisa goons are famous for. Western values leave the East in the dust.

Point is I CARRY  a copy of my passport and I STILL get taken to the police station for "questioning", even after the Head of Immigration has decreed that you DO NOT need to carry your passport. What further proof do you need that they are simply extorting money?

3 hours ago, Agent Sumo said:

Yeah they should round up all the Western paedos, depraved old men and junkie degenerates buying baking soda from street dealers

Speak for yourself. You would know Peds more than we would.

21 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

Could you at least point out the location?

From what i understand after doing some searching there are 2 ethiophian restaurants located in bkk both in soi 3 of nana. One is called Habesha located right at the entracne to soi 3 behind nana plaza. There's the other one just simply called Ehtiphina resturant which i heard is the one located inside a building a hotel or like the report said some type of entertainment complex but oddly enough doesn't show up when you search it.

Habeesha is no longer in business.  There is an Ethiopean restaurant inside a small dead end soi called Soi Africa which is the first soi you come to  on the left side if you are coming from the Nana intersection and walking down Soi 3 toward Petchaburi on Nana.  Maybe it's about a hundred meters past the intersection.  There is an Ethiopean restaurant about 15 meters into the soi on the right side.  There is a sign that says Ethiopean Restaurant.  There are usually friendly men at the front of the soi asking if they can help you with anything.

However, it has been a couple of months since I've been there.  I hope it is still open.  

Edited by ricklev

1 minute ago, Jools said:

Point is I CARRY  a copy of my passport and I STILL get taken to the police station for "questioning", even after the Head of Immigration has decreed that you DO NOT need to carry your passport. What further proof do you need that they are simply extorting money?

Speak for yourself. You would know Peds more than we would.

Well if you're being carted off to the police station after showing a copy of your passport, you obviously come across as being really dodgy. Maybe change your attitude

2 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Well if you're being carted off to the police station after showing a copy of your passport, you obviously come across as being really dodgy. Maybe change your attitude

An amazing display of bovine excrement. I am  66 years old, clean cut, well dressed and STILL carted off to the police station despite having a valid visa. You can defend the system all you like but it still does not mesh with decency and democracy and human rights.

7 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Habeesha is no longer in business.  There is an Ethiopean restaurant inside a small dead end soi called Soi Africa which is the first soi you come to  on the left side if you are coming from the Nana intersection and walking down Soi 3 toward Petchaburi on Nana.  Maybe it's about a hundred meters past the intersection.  There is an Ethiopean restaurant about 15 meters into the soi on the right side.  There is a sign that says Ethiopean Restaurant.  There are usually friendly men at the front of the soi asking if they can help you with anything.

However, it has been a couple of months since I've been there.  I hope it is still open.  

Ok is this restaurant on the 3rd and 5th floor?

I saw the signage of habesha still around when i visited bkk last month. I did not enter the restaurant and i got questioned by the police asking me why did i even walk into that soi.

No. This is a shophouse restaurant in Soi Africa.  The entertainment complex Ethiopean restaurant/bar is roughly across Soi 3 and back towards Sukhumvit a short distance.

Maybe I'm wrong about Habesha or they reopened......

Edited by ricklev

12 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Ok here's a problem with your description. It sounds like that's where habesha is located. Habesha is in soi 3 behind nana plaza and it's on the left and in the right inside the smaller soi. You know what i mean?

I checked on google map and soi3 is actually the name of a couple of sois around the area. Could you look on google map and put an arrow on it or at least give a landmark next to it. Searching ethiphian restaurant on google map always leads me to habesha.

1 minute ago, Howitzer said:

Ok here's a problem with your description. It sounds like that's where habesha is located. Habesha is in soi 3 behind nana plaza and it's on the left and in the right inside the smaller soi. You know what i mean?

I checked on google map and soi3 is actually the name of a couple of sois around the area. Could you look on google map and put an arrow on it or at least give a landmark next to it. Searching ethiphian restaurant on google map always leads me to habesha.

Just follow my directions.  Best I can do for you.  Good luck.

7 minutes ago, Jools said:

An amazing display of bovine excrement. I am  66 years old, clean cut, well dressed and STILL carted off to the police station despite having a valid visa. You can defend the system all you like but it still does not mesh with decency and democracy and human rights.

Doesn't matter how old you are - If your attitude in real life resembles anything like that which you display here, you're probably being taken to the police station because you come across as being belligerent and self-important.

3 hours ago, Howitzer said:

Why did the entire place turn to sh!t?

Too many men of all races coming in search of what the area is famous for.

3 hours ago, Merylhighground said:

Why not just flatten the place to keep you happy....?

You can start a club called ''Super Duper farangs cleaning up Thailand''?

You start at one end with a mallet; The rest of the superior pillars of society can start at the other and you'll meet half way....you could even wear badges....or T shirts...

At last! An excellent idea! Then the only shiit left on the streets would be from dogs, which I can live with!

Edited by JayBeeee

14 minutes ago, Jools said:

I've been here 8 years, I'm under 50 and dress smartly too so why is it that when I show my passport copy, I'm spoken to with respect and sent on my way with a smile but you, a 66 year old man are being taken to the police station?

19 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

All right i went to google map and circled where habesha is where's the 2nd one located

29113067883_2c580c2603_b.jpg

That's soi Africa.  Habesha used to be directly on Sukhumvit Soi 3 so maybe they moved  Where you have circled is exactly where the shophouse Ethiopean restaurant is/was....  

Edited by ricklev

10 hours ago, Artisi said:

You were always supposed to carry your passport, nothing new just enforced when it serves a purpose.

For tourists, maybe this could be the case...although I think it would be hard to sensibly argue against a good photocopy being sufficient.

I don't see this as much of a problems for people who live here in LOS though. I mean, most people I know who have been here for more than a year or two just carry their Thai Licence, and nobody is going to complain after you present one of those in absence of a passport.

Just now, ricklev said:

That's soi Africa.  Habesha used to be directly on Nana (Soi 3) so maybe they moved to Soi Africa.  Where you show it is exactly where the shophouse Ethiopean restaurant is.  

You see then there's a problem. There are 2 restaurants. According to you habesha is closed and the other one is located at lvl 3 and 5 inside a building and which was also stated in the news report.

I'm looking for the 2nd restaurant not habesha. I looked at trip advisor and they mention it's close to the hospital and one reviewer said it's inside a hotel (but did not list the hotel name). The report said it's inside an entertainment complex that doesn't even show up on google. One reviewer on TA says this resturant is opposite a hotel called al jeezera i cannot find that hotel on google only a restaurant on facebook by that name and it's in the same soi location as habesha.

Take note that habesha is on the ground floor. The other restaurant is on the 3rd story inside a complex or a hotel on the 3rd floor and maybe has an additional space on the 5th floor near to the hospital.

26 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Doesn't matter how old you are - If your attitude in real life resembles anything like that which you display here, you're probably being taken to the police station because you come across as being belligerent and self-important.

Belligerant and self-important because I presented my passport card and was told that it wasn't enough? I ALWAYS defer to Thai cretins in authority. Anything less is asking for trouble. The bottom line is that you and others will defend the Thai insanity regardless of the damage it causes to people who contribute to the tax base and obey the law.

3 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

You see then there's a problem. There are 2 restaurants. According to you habesha is closed and the other one is located at lvl 3 and 5 inside a building and which was also stated in the news report.

I'm looking for the 2nd restaurant not habesha. I looked at trip advisor and they mention it's close to the hospital and one reviewer said it's inside a hotel (but did not list the hotel name). The report said it's inside an entertainment complex that doesn't even show up on google. One reviewer on TA says this resturant is opposite a hotel called al jeezera i cannot find that hotel on google only a restaurant on facebook by that name and it's in the same soi location as habesha.

Take note that habesha is on the ground floor. The other restaurant is on the 3rd story inside a complex or a hotel on the 3rd floor and maybe has an additional space on the 5th floor near to the hospital.

If I were you and I wanted  to eat Ethiopean food I would go to the Ethiopean Restaurant located in Soi Africa and eat Ethiopean food.  I would then discuss the location of other Ethiopean restaurants with the Ethiopeans that run the Ethiopean restaurant in Soi Africa.  They are nice people.  If the Ethiopian restaurant on Soi Africa is closed I would ask one of the friendly English speaking Africans on Soi Africa where there is another Ethiopean restaurant.  

1 minute ago, ricklev said:

If I were you and I wanted  to eat Ethiopean food I would go to the Ethiopean Restaurant located in Soi Africa and eat Ethiopean food.  I would then discuss the location of other Ethiopean restaurants with the Ethiopeans that run the Ethiopean restaurant in Soi Africa.  They are nice people.  If the Ethiopian restaurant on Soi Africa is closed I would ask one of the friendly English speaking Africans on Soi Africa where there is another Ethiopean restaurant.  

You told me haebsha is closed so how could i go there to eat?

It's kind of sad that in today's world where everyone has access tro google map it's so difficult to even get info about a restaurant.

6 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Ethiopean's have food ?

To be honest i think most ppl in the western world are interested in ehtphians cos of reggae music where you know the most famous reggae musician was bob marley and kept on praising a monarch from that country.

Other than that well ethoiphian has quite a unique long standing history with the bible but they don'[t speak english and have a very unique culture so it's also curiousity.