Schools Closing

My Girlfriend was telling me there are a lot of schools being closed

because there has been a lot of Thai teachers killed..

She was reading this on a web site she reads daily to keep

abreast of the news..

Are any of the Western teachers being intimidated or worried

by this happening??

Can anyone else shed any light on the situation..

There are a fairly high number of reports by farang teachers that they are leaving, or will leave Thailand before the new school year starts in May. They're returning home, or going to teach in more predictable, better paying countries like South Korea, Taiwan, China, Japan, etc. And these are well qualified teachers, with experience. I think it's mostly the farang teachers who are married to Thais, who can't leave.

There are two things going on here, neither of which is really related to Farang teachers. In fact, I would be very surprised if anything related to Farang teachers or foriegn visas or work permits or teacher's licenses were ever reported in Thai language news! :o

1. Many schools in the south have been burned and many teachers have been murdered. Consequently many of the remaining schools are closing or shortening their semesters.

2. There is a severe teacher shortage in Thailand due to older teachers being forced to retire at age 55 and younger people not becoming teachers due to the low starting salaries and abysmal working conditions.

From todays Bangkok Post:

Pattani schools to close after slaying

All 322 schools in Pattani province will close indefinitely from tomorrow after the director of a community school was shot and burnt by Muslim militants on Friday. Bunsom Thongsriplai, chairman of the Pattani Teachers Federation, said all classes would be suspended until authorities could come up with better security measures for teachers in the province.

...[partly edited by moderator]

If I was an ordinary muslim, i would try with all my heart to convince other muslims to demonstrate and teach the kids about the wrong doings.......all over the world !!

Because if another religion tries to tell them , more fighting and more crayzyness happens.

PEACE BROTHER PEACE ........

From todays Bangkok Post:

Pattani schools to close after slaying

All 322 schools in Pattani province will close indefinitely from tomorrow after the director of a community school was shot and burnt by Muslim militants on Friday. Bunsom Thongsriplai, chairman of the Pattani Teachers Federation, said all classes would be suspended until authorities could come up with better security measures for teachers in the province.

That is terrible news, extremists need people to be uneducated in order to sow their poison and fuel their fire.

What a sickening crime, to target a person whose role in life is to better the life of others.

R.I.P.

Edited by Robski

If I was an ordinary muslim, i would try with all my heart to convince other muslims to demonstrate and teach the kids about the wrong doings.......all over the world !!

Because if another religion tries to tell them , more fighting and more crayzyness happens.

I know members of a Christian Peacemaker Team in Iraq; most Christians think they're insane to go and try to make peace (unarmed) in a war zone. They've taught the Muslims to start a Muslim Peacemaker Team, in Iraq!!

Peace, brother; indeed.

I know members of a Christian Peacemaker Team in Iraq; most Christians think they're insane to go and try to make peace (unarmed) in a war zone. They've taught the Muslims to start a Muslim Peacemaker Team, in Iraq!!

Peace, brother; indeed.

Good news.......just wonder why all those millions of muslims living in EU or US with good education , are so passive...they should be the first to guide their brothers.......

:o

Peace, brother; indeed.

Good news.......just wonder why all those millions of muslims living in EU or US with good education , are so passive...they should be the first to guide their brothers.......

:o

Would these passive muslims be the same muslims involved in 9/11 ( USA ) and the London tube bombings ( E.U. )??

For those who are interested, you can't teach religion. When Martin Luther disagreed with the Catholic church, his only option was to leave and start his own. The same with many other denominations and sects. The same is true of Muslims. Religion is not based on factual information.

The key here is education which leads to a productive job and life-style.

I don't think the schools in the south have many foreign teachers to begin with. Any stats on this?

Statistics, in Thailand? 555 :o

You don't hear about farang teaching in the three southernmost provinces. Just starting around Phuket and Songkhla. And wasn't a farang teacher killed in Songkhla city or Hat Yai, this year?

Aye, the reports said a farang teacher but when I watched the news of the prince visiting his friends to offer his condolences they looked more like backpackers.

You don't hear about farang teaching in the three southernmost provinces. Just starting around Phuket and Songkhla. And wasn't a farang teacher killed in Songkhla city or Hat Yai, this year?

This is the first I hear of violence against teachers, native or Farang. Is the motive usually a local sectarian conflict between Buddhists and Muslims?

Separately, are teachers being targeted in particular? If so, under what logic?

Yes, teachers are being specifically targeted, even killed during class, in the classroom, in view of their students. The understanding is that the killers target all government employees. When teachers were given blue polo shirts in honor of Her Majesty the Queen, I read of a farang teacher in Pattani or Songkhla province, that some teachers were afraid to wear the shirts in public, for fear that it would identify them as government employees.

The teacher wasn't targeted. He was the innocent random victim of a city centre (Hat Yai) bomb. Unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The muslims have never targeted farang in Thailand as far as I know.

Edited by Loaded

The teacher wasn't targeted. He was the innocent random victim of a city centre (Hat Yai) bomb. Unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The muslims have never targeted farang in Thailand as far as I know.

please replace the word Muslims with insurgents ,

and

define farang ,

that's to say are Malays farang ........?

and

define farang ,

Why not refer to them as muslim? That's what they are? Muslim insurgents.I hate this attitude that is held by muslim's and idiotic PC liberal's(not suggesting you are either...) that if a muslim does something bad all of a sudden they become anything but a muslim.A 'bomber'/a maniac/crazy minority etc etc Its complete BS.

Pull your head out of the bloody sand would you.

hmmm Not exactly teaching related...lol

and

define farang ,

Why not refer to them as muslim? That's what they are? Muslim insurgents.I hate this attitude that is held by muslim's and idiotic PC liberal's(not suggesting you are either...) that if a muslim does something bad all of a sudden they become anything but a muslim.A 'bomber'/a maniac/crazy minority etc etc Its complete BS.

one or the other please

and

define farang ,

one or the other please

Well what are you? pc liberal? or muslim? :o

neither ,

what does the word Muslims suggest to you ?

is it not all encompassing ?

are all Muslims terrorists / insurgents ?

see my signature for further clues ...................

ahhh so your a PC liberal :o

I understand that the situation in southern Thailand is far from black and white.But it is a fact that the majority of these people are muslims.Whether they be 'bandits' / separatists / insurgents..They are muslim.Thats the bottom line,thats my point.If you have a problem with this...I dont know,go and convert them ??

Why are you afraid to use the term muslims anyway? or muslim insurgency.Are all muslims terrorists/insurgents? Ofcourse not and i never suggested they were.The insurgents in Southern Thailand just happen to be muslims though.This is an inescapable fact.One which you clearly need to come to terms with.

So why do you refuse to call them muslims?

So we ignore facts as not to offend people(ahem minorities).Excellent!! An idea thats been inpractise in politically correct western nations for the last 20 years.We are so much better off for it....sigh/

Think about this.Separatists movements can NOT exist without local support.Some of the law abiding folks in the south cant be all that innocent.

Ofcourse would it be to much to ask these people to root out the scum in their community? From the looks of things..yes.

I wonder why...

Thats not the point.The fact is that these people are muslim.Thus they should be referred to as Muslims.

Another example.The KKK are/were a white supremacist/chrtistian organisation.No one had any problems reffering to them as white/christian nutcases.

Ofcourse i have no problems with therm being labelled this,because its exactly what they were.But some peoples clear refusal to even accept that some terrorists just might be muslim shows blatant double standards.

Clearly this has little to do with teaching and should ahve been debated elsewhere.I hope i have made my point.

Edited by Jonson83

It is the point. From your previous post:

"Ofcourse would it be to much to ask these people to root out the scum in their community? From the looks of things..yes."

You're assuming that these criminals are known to 'their community' when it's a fairly well established fact that modern terrorists operate in small cells of a few people whose activities are not known outside those cells. You're tainting the rest of the community by implying that they have knowledge of these activities but choose to do nothing about them. It's the same as me accusing you of being implicit in KKK lynchings just because you happen to be Christian.