windows 10 upgrade stuck on samsung laptop

pkspeaker

the machine got around to upgrading to the new windows 10 from windows 10.. after 6 hours it appears to be stuck in a grey/blck screen with a spinning circle.. i tried to kill the machines power, when i turned it on again it 'restored' the old windows 10 and i tried re-updating, it appears to be stuck again, anyone have this problem with a thailand purchaced samsung laptop i5?

9 minutes ago, pkspeaker said:

i had already gotten rid of that but theres a component of it that appears to be ghosting.. ill turn off a few things..

I also read remove any external usb drives, also It needs 20G free space to complete, but It wont tell you if thats the problem, 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I had a similar problem with the win 10 anniversary update, It kept getting stuck on 99% for days. Turned off AVG antivirus and it completed ok. 

I would imagine that it will stop all processes during the OS upgrade (?). In your case it may be a problem reactivating some of the services before completion, but again another question mark here. Unless you disable your anti-virus before the update in Services, i would imagine the service would be started anyway (according to previous settings before the upgrade) as normal.

tx for the help, trying again (have a feeling im going to be doing this all day) got rid of some norton thing i didn't know was there and there was still an avg web component that i had neglected to uninstall when i had rid the machine of the main program.. i closed skype, i notice when i shutdown or restart the machine it asks me to force close some 'S agent' of some sort.. unplugged the wireless keyboard from usb..  if it fails again i guess the next programs to unistall will be skype and Line app..

Edited by pkspeaker

Just a couple of things you may want to consider if your update continues to install. Instead of relying on the windows update method, you could try the media creation tool. This should download the 1607 version and allow you to upgrade from this path. Explainations as follows:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade 

However, before you do that, read this article and make sure you want to do the upgrade. Windows has admitted that there is a flaw with the 1607 upgrade and even though the last rollup update was meant to address these issues, it apparently hasn't. The article addresses some issues which even though released last month, still remain current for several users.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows10-anniversary-update-common-problems-how-fix 

the machine got around to upgrading to the new windows 10 from windows 10

What version of Windows do you currently have?   Go to the Settings, System, About to see what version you have.   Do you have Version 1511 or 1607?   

16 hours ago, Pib said:

What version of Windows do you currently have?   Go to the Settings, System, About to see what version you have.   Do you have Version 1511 or 1607?   

I think the machine rolled back to 1511 after a failed upgrade, but it is a good question. According to the OP:

" i tried to kill the machines power, when i turned it on again it 'restored' the old windows 10 and i tried re-updating, it appears to be stuck again,......." 

On 9/20/2016 at 7:50 AM, Peterw42 said:

I also read remove any external usb drives, also It needs 20G free space to complete, but It wont tell you if thats the problem, 

It won't even start the set up if there's no 20 GB space available. Just to be fair to MS. Even when they're shitting in many peoples' pot. 

On 9/21/2016 at 2:49 PM, Pib said:

Whatever he's got, don't you think that a Reset of the Program would be the best advice?