Thai Cabinet tackles Zero Dollar Tour issue

webfact

Cabinet tackles 0 Dollar Tour issue

BANGKOK, 21 September 2016 (NNT) – The Cabinet has discussed the issue of so-called 0 Dollar Tours in preparation for the signing of an agreement to address the problem with China. 

Prime Minister’s Office Spokesman Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd revealed after the latest Cabinet meeting that the prime minister has tasked his deputy Gen Prawit Wongsuwan with chairing a working committee to remedy 0 Dollar Tours. 

The Cabinet also approved a draft memorandum of understanding submitted by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to be signed by China’s Office of Tourism to secure its aid in addressing the 0 Dollar Tour issue. 

The meeting also approved 812.51 million baht be set aside from the 2017 central budget’s emergency fund for the construction of a Bang Pa In-Saraburi-Nakhon Ratchasima special highway. It also approved that debts be incurred totaling 1.53 billion baht for the construction of Betong Airport. 

Finally, the meeting saw fit to mandate that September 28 of each year starting next year be recognized as Thai Flag Day. The day will seek to promote patriotism but will not be a national holiday. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-21

There are very popular "all-inclusive" holidays to be found all around the Med.  Never been on one but some friends go frequently on such holidays.  Are these the European equivalent of these 0 dollar tours.  If so then the government should tread very carefully otherwise their great expectations from Chinese tourists, who can be very canny with their money, may not happen and the people will simply go elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, eliotness said:

There are very popular "all-inclusive" holidays to be found all around the Med.  Never been on one but some friends go frequently on such holidays.  Are these the European equivalent of these 0 dollar tours.  If so then the government should tread very carefully otherwise their great expectations from Chinese tourists, who can be very canny with their money, may not happen and the people will simply go elsewhere.

I used to use these years ago at Sharm el Sheik when I used to dive there as they were cheaper than booking seperately. Basically I just used the room and had breakfast, never did any of the tours etc. Probably similar to here except I believe they are forced to make the tours.

The 'all inclusive' holidays done in europe generally still led to most of the money going to the appropriate place - i,e, the airline got a cut, the hotel owner, usually locally based, got a cut etc.

I think many of these Chinese tours involve only chinese companies in their expenditure - hardly any money actually gets to Thailand, only enough to pay the local Thai staff.