Forgot to buy insurance in home country

playyer

Hi,

I forgot to buy insurance in my home country, and the 45 day travel coverage I get automatically from my home insurance in Sweden has run out.

What would be my options for 3 month coverage? Is there any? I am 40.

I checked BUPA, but they only have 1 year, and they dont seem to cover illnesses that occur in the first 30 days, or even some illnesses some that occur in the first 6 month.  

I actually care most about motorcycle accident insurance. 

Any ideas?

Thanks, 

Do you have a Thai wife/gf or friend??  

Get them to ring all the insurance companies and ask them.

Google Thai medical insurance and you will get a list.

PS - travel insurance usually does not cover motorbike accidents over 50cc - and you will need the Thai person to specify motorbike coverage for accident (and  say size of engine).

World Nomad travel insurance includes health cover, most travel insurance policies do, and many (inc. World Nomads) can be applied for after you start your trip.

However, many do not have direct payment option i.e. you would have to front the money and get reimbursed, something to consider.

AFAIK BUPA Thailand only provides regular health cover (one year at a time) and travel policies for people travelling out of Thailand, not to it.

But there are plenty of European based travel policies. Just google.

Try to look at Bupa Sunshine Plan that covers up to six month for incoming visitors/tourists...

I think you shall consider PoorSucker's post – and also as staying more than 3 month in the Kingdom, you need a Thai Drivers License – not sure, but insurance may not cover if your are the driver and don't have the legal license...

Do you have a valid MC driving licence with IDP?
If not insurance will not pay out anyway.

As a Swede I meet people all the time that claims they don't need one.

Legally IDP is not required. Many insurance policies will say 'legal', some will say 'IDP required'. So check the policy.

Let me give you a very important tip, Don't drive a motor bike here unless you are living in the jungle, No insurance can protect you from getting run over here. Happens every day in big numbers and you won't see it coming.  Good luck.

3 hours ago, Grubster said:

Let me give you a very important tip, Don't drive a motor bike here unless you are living in the jungle, No insurance can protect you from getting run over here. Happens every day in big numbers and you won't see it coming.  Good luck.

yes, and dont ride in minibuses, buses, trains or even walk down the street any of these could get you killed. Maybe better to stay really safe and stay in your condo all day. Seriously?

Yes you can die riding a motorcycle in Thailand, but that can happen in the US, Europe etc. Are the risks higher in Thailand, sure due to all the un-educated drivers, but you cant stop that from living your life.  Life is a risk, either need to live your life or live in a bubble never to get hurt. 

I would check BUPA again as I recall they did have a special travel insurance policy that applied to anywhere in the world. It seems to me it ran for about 6 months. I doubt you will find less than that for the coverage provided. I seem to recall I had BUPA for normal insurance here for a year, but quit that as I got free overage from work. I seem to recall they gave me money back for my cancelled policy but I can't remember how much. So you may want to check that as well. 

I also recall BUPA did not cover you for the first 30 days of illness. I doubt any insurance company would as this stops people from applying for insurance after they know they are sick already. But this policy did not apply to accidents!

When I had BUPA a few years ago I was covered for motorcycle accidents on the day I signed the papers, so ask the question again and check the fine print. I am pretty sure on a 1 year policy you are covered for that right away.    

7 hours ago, ericthai said:

yes, and dont ride in minibuses, buses, trains or even walk down the street any of these could get you killed. Maybe better to stay really safe and stay in your condo all day. Seriously?

Yes you can die riding a motorcycle in Thailand, but that can happen in the US, Europe etc. Are the risks higher in Thailand, sure due to all the un-educated drivers, but you cant stop that from living your life.  Life is a risk, either need to live your life or live in a bubble never to get hurt. 

This is true but I would not recommend that you drive one here until you are acclimated to the conditions here, at least then you will know that things come at you from everywhere. Absolutely better have good insurance on your health. The first thing you need to learn in Thailand is that on a motorbike you are not entitled to the road, only the side of the road. I have had a few friends die on them here.