Milk

MartinB

Hi, just a quick one! Just been back to the UK, wow the cool fresh cold milk was fantastic. All the milk I try in Bangkok tastes like sugar water, even though it says it's fresh etc. Does real fresh milk exist here?

cheers

Do you see any dairy farms ?

All milk here (as far as I know) is reconstituted from dried milk powder.

I've built such 'dairies' in several countries, usually for Alfa Laval or other Scandinavian firms. Very clean and hygenic, but the end product just doesn't do it, does it?

Theres no fresh milk in Thailand. It is all produced in China, loaded into big plastic vats and shipped here down the Mekong River in huge boats and then trucked to Bangkok. By the time it reaches here and bottled in plastic bottles, it is starting to taste like shit.

Theres no fresh milk in Thailand. It is all produced in China, loaded into big plastic vats and shipped here down the Mekong River in huge boats and then trucked to Bangkok. By the time it reaches here and bottled in plastic bottles, it is starting to taste like shit.

I guess the words fresh or pasturized is is not in the vocab? Huh

how bout ---Grade A fat free vitamin A&D added.

Whats in the vats---Powder?

China? Scarry!

I hope they don't kill!

We do have 2 dairys in our area,and one milk processing place, But I do not know what they do there.

My wife used to buy fresh milk on her way home from work,but it was just for the young dog to drink,not being pasturized,we wouldn't drink it.

And all milk sold in stores as fresh tastes to me like shit, they will not just sell MILK, but flavored stuff with all the fat content removed.

When you buy canned evaporated milk such as carnation,in the states you get whole milk,here it is a non fat with palm oil added to bring the fat content back up,I don't know why they take out the butter fat and then add palm oil,guess they make butter from the cream and they can't make butter from palm oil.

Very hard to get unflavored milk,even UHT or powder with the butter fat and no sugar and flavors added,

Just kidding about the milk from China guys......sorry......but the best milk I ever tasted in Thailand was from the Kings project. It was sold in a small supermarket on the corner inBnaglampoo. An easy 5 minute walk from Khao San road.

It was a plastic bottle, square shape, tallish with green print in Thai. very tasty and not sweet......it really tasted like good stuff.

I have not been in that supermarket for ages so dont know if they still have it. But if you want to check for yourself you can just walk to the end of KS Rd to teh temple end......turn right, walk along past the seven 11 and the supermarket is just past this on the corner. Only say 200-300 metres from KS rd.

Enjoy

What about the 7-11's, I always buy my milk from them. The best tasting stuff comes in a plastic bottle with blue print in Thai (my wife translates it for me).

D

Agree!Agree!Agree!

Although they are not as "aroi" as the ones bought in western countries, I think they are acceptable.

All milk here (as far as I know) is reconstituted from dried milk powder.

Not true but up until a year or so ago the milk did not have to disclose how it was made so a lot was from milk powder. Now all milk must have facts on the label and many have this in both Thai and English. I suspect, due to transport, that fresh milk is not likely to be available at smaller locations but in Bangkok or other major cities it is (and probably at any Lotus/Carrefoure/Makro as well as 7-11's.) I do fell for anyone that has to use the UHT stuff as that is really bad tasting (at least to me).

The 7-11 milk is it pasturized?

All that I would buy is. Would not consider drinking unpasteurized milk in the tropics (or anywhere else for that matter). The large brands are Formost, Menji, Thai Diary, CP and perhaps a couple others. I started drinking Formost when it was reconstituted power made for US Forces during Viet Nam era and still like it better than any other. It is made from fresh milk now.

Probably, but check to see if the freezeer is powered on.

Was buying come yoghurt and noticed the pots were room temperature and the

tops bulging.

"Oh, yes", I was told, "freezer broken............"

I have always found the Meije brand the pick of the bunch. Three types Light blue top is low fat calcium added. Green top, sweetened..Ugh,pass on that one. The navy blue top is by far the best. Fresh pasturised milk. The new Nestles offering in the Tetra pack is pretty good too......

I have always found the Meije brand the pick of the bunch. Three types Light blue top is low fat calcium added. Green top, sweetened..Ugh,pass on that one. The navy blue top is by far the best. Fresh pasturised milk. The new Nestles offering in the Tetra pack is pretty good too......

Put some CP Meiji on my breakfast cereal this morning.

End of bottle, some coagulated powder in the bottom. I seriously doubt that this is straight from the cow.

But it claims to be pasteurised. Can't read all the Thai wording, but 'fresh' milk need not be 'fresh' as you and I understand the word. It sees in the dairy world that it is a distinguishing description from UHT (which keeps longer) and canned milk. Just means 'Don't expect this to last very long' :o

• 2 weeks later...
best milk I ever tasted in Thailand was from the Kings project. It was sold in a small supermarket on the corner inBnaglampoo. An easy 5 minute walk from Khao San road.

It was a plastic bottle, square shape, tallish with green print in Thai. very tasty and not sweet......it really tasted like good stuff.

Milk update:

Found the real stuff in Jusco's - Square bottle, plastic, with green writing, look for the words: "Royal Chitralada Projects" bingo!! bring on the cornflakes :o

Read the label! The Thai word is a transliteration of 'Pasteurise', though I do remember being surprised at how the 'teu' was transliterated. Unfortunately, I don't recall the precise Thai word.