Honda CRF / Kawa D-Tracker 250, suitable for 2 riders?

CLW

Hello everyone,

As mentioned in the title already, is it possible to make a weekend trip BKK-Saraburi with one of these bikes with 2 riders on it.

Or will it be a pain, both for driver and pillion?

I'm considering to rent the bike for the weekend driving around National Parks.

Another alternative would be a Honda CB 500 X, but double cost of rental fee.

The maximum carrying capacity of the Honda CRF250L is 159 kilograms, Kawasaki says for the KLX250 that the rider, passenger, baggage,and accessories must not exceed 181 kilograms.

The maximum carrying capacity for the Honda CB500X is 184 kilograms.

Edited by Richard-BKK

As owner of a KLX250 ( which is similar to the D- Tracker) I would say not really,  they are good bikes for solo riding though. 

The seats are quite narrow and normally it helps a bit moving around on the saddle, with a pillion you'll be forced to sit more forward which is not really comfy for 2up touring. Spend a bit more and rent that CB500X,you will enjoy your trip much more.

As owner of a KLX250 ( which is similar to the D- Tracker) I would say not really,  they are good bikes for solo riding though. 
The seats are quite narrow and normally it helps a bit moving around on the saddle, with a pillion you'll be forced to sit more forward which is not really comfy for 2up touring. Spend a bit more and rent that CB500X,you will enjoy your trip much more.

Thanks for the comment from your experience!
In the meanwhile I read some trip reports about 2up riding on the KLX.
It's possible, but as you said not the most comfortable riding.
I'll discuss with the missus [emoji16]

Take the D-Tracker/CRF if you want to ensure your significant other doesn't want to ride with you in the future. Take the CB500X if you want to keep doing these things with her on board. :)

Clear comment! [emoji106] [emoji4]

The Kawasaki KLX is  lighter than the CRF , with better adjustable susspension , and a stronger engine. It would be my choice. Take each trip as it comes and dont try to do too much in one go. The seats on any bike will give you a numb bum at first. For a "real" two seater , id go for a Kawasaki Verys 650. Much beter than the CB and one of the most popular touring bikes in Thailand. Theres good reason for this. Wont cost much for two days and the mrs will thank you for it .

We have a Lifan 200, which we ride two (combined 135kg) up all the time, as mentioned on another thread our only issue is a sore backside from the seat. Our pushrod/carby 200 gets us there, obviously a Jap 250 will give you more power and unless you are trying to break records, is enough on all but the fast highways.

Off/rough road you have to warn the passenger of anything nasty, so they can take their weight on the legs.

We saw a French couple on a CRF250 in Laos and a week in, they said it was fine.

These bikes all have strong suspension compared to road bikes, great for touring where the roads are less than perfect.