What Is The Meaning Of "nana"

Rajah

Since Rajah "lifted" this topic from my reply to his earlier question I will post again here:

I once asked a Thai girl what "Nana" meant and she told me it meant "In to" which seemed appropriate. I think it in fact it is the Thai word for "inter" as in international etc. Any confirmation on that?

My research about "Nana Entertainment Plaza" has reached a new level. What is the meaning of "Nana"? Does anybody know?

Na,and Naa and Naanaa are different.

Na/Na Na = usually locates at the end of a sentence to reenforce or confirm your statement

Naa = a rice farm

Naanaa = vary/various , often used as ' Taang Taang Na na '

It could be the family name as someone mentioned :o

How do you write that word in Thai, Rajah ?

Edited by baennaenae

Na,and Naa and Naanaa are different.

Na/Na Na = usually locates at the end of a sentence to reenforce or confirm your statement

Naa = a rice farm

Naanaa = vary/various , often used as ' Taang Taang Na na '

It could be the family name as someone mentioned :o

How do you write that word in Thai, Rajah ?

Yea, I guess you need to see how it is written in Thai to be sure. I think na also means "face", so it could mean "rice farm face" which is unlikely but perhaps appropriate to some of its ladies.

"Yar seuh kwai nana"

Its a Thai proverb meaning, 'don't buy your buffalo in the cold season'

In the above sentence the last word is incorrect - it should be "Na Nao" which means, basically, "the cold season".

"Nana" as used in the name of the Sois (there are of course two) means "different", "varied" or "diverse".

As in "Nanachart" - "International" used for many Schools and a Bank here etc..

Sorry - can't type Thai on this Computer.

Patrick

"Yar seuh kwai nana"

In the above sentence the last word is incorrect - it should be "Na Nao" which means, basically, "the cold season".

"Nana" as used in the name of the Sois (there are of course two) means "different", "varied" or "diverse".

Patrick

"Yar seuh kwai nana"

Patrick

So, presumably "chart" means "national" as in the "Chart Thai" political party and the "nana" part could loosely be translated as "inter"? Does that make sense?

The Narula-family portfolio includes many Sukhumvit Road hotels, including the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and the Amari Boulevard. The family also is the franchiser of the Dunkin’ Donuts restaurant chain and Au Bon Pain bakery shops.

Just look for the sign that says.....

Grande Asset Development

Grande Asset Development Public Company Limited is a Thailand-based company engaged in the hotel business, the provision of shopping plaza rental services and the development of real estate properties.

Its hotel properties include The Westin Grande Sukhumvit Hotel, Crowne Plaza Sukhumvit Hotel, The Regent Bangkok Hotel, Sheraton Hua Hin Resort and Le Meridien Pattaya Resort.

The Company's real estate properties include Hua Hin Blue Lagoon Resort, The Trendy Condominium, The Regent Residences and The Sails Pattaya Condominium. Grande Asset Development has two subsidiaries, Honor Business Co., Ltd. in Hua Hin and Grand Equity Development Co., Ltd. in Bangkok.

They are also in volved in import/export as well as owning Benetone Films which is a Bollywood flic company......loads a mullah...

some other areas of influence (incl Dinking Donuts etc)..would include...

Minor International Public Co., Ltd

Central Plaza Hotel Public Company Ltd.

Laguna Resorts and Hotels PCL

The Oriental Hotel (Thailand) PCL

Dusit Thani Public Co Ltd

Shangri-La Hotel Public Company Limited

Royal Orchid Hotel (Thailand) PCL

Pacific Assets PCL

Rajadamri Hotel PCL

Mandarin Hotel Public Company Limited

as well as other wee bits of real estate and of course the Freehold on...NEP....

never short of a bed of an evening....luvly jubbly :o

"Yar seuh kwai nana"

Patrick

So, presumably "chart" means "national" as in the "Chart Thai" political party and the "nana" part could loosely be translated as "inter"? Does that make sense?

Yes - "Chart" means "Nation".

Therefore, yes, "Chart Thai" means "Thai Nation"

However "Nana Chart" literally means "various Nations" which in English could also be translated or condensed into "International", however it does not follow that "Nana" therfore means "Inter" .

Patrick

Yes - "Chart" means "Nation".

Therefore, yes, "Chart Thai" means "Thai Nation"

However "Nana Chart" literally means "various Nations" which in English could also be translated or condensed into "International", however it does not follow that "Nana" therfore means "Inter" .

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick.

The people who own NEP are incidentially the Narula family. A Sikh Thai family who also own the Sheraton Grande, 'The hotel that Nana built'.

Now that would make sense as before it became a second Patpong bar scene destination, Nana Plaza was primarily filled with businesses that had a South Asian connection. There are still a few Indian tailor shops out front.

Sorry to dissapoint all, but to put an end to all speculations................ NANA does not mean anything. It's just the family name of a big and well-known family.

well, the soi itself probably was named after the family. Na-na does have various meanings, na.....

Sorry to dissapoint all, but to put an end to all speculations................ NANA does not mean anything. It's just the family name of a big and well-known family.

So well known that you never read or hear about the Nana family? Did you read`the earlier posts about the Nasrula family?

My research about "Nana Entertainment Plaza" has reached a new level. What is the meaning of "Nana"? Does anybody know?

Well nana if you say twice means " various " so problably can be a various entertainment things offer you. But mostly we use nana as formal term or for writing. For example "rong rian nana chat " means international school ( a various or diffirent of contries that people come from. )

" chat " means pra-theet ( country , nationality )

But if " na " or " thung na " means farm rice.

:o

So well known that you never read or hear about the Nana family? Did you read`the earlier posts about the Nasrula family?

He must have looked at the online Bangkok post language section, see below.

Language watch: Word Formation:

Both syllables in ‘nânā’, ‘farming season’, offer another good example for practicing the tones. In terms of word formation, the first ‘nâ’ means “season, face, page or front”, and the second one means ‘a field’. In this lesson, we’re focusing on the first meaning, season. The syllable ‘nâ’ meaning ‘season’ is often added with another word to form a new word, i.e., nâfǒn — the rainy season, summer; nâláeng — the dry season; nâthúrīan — the durian season.

Don’t confuse this ‘nânā’ with the now-famous name for Soi 4 Sukhumvit – Soi Nana, which you will often here when riding the skytrain. Soi Nana is not related to the words season, face or field, but is the name of a big and well-known family, and its tone is: nānā.

www.bangkokpost.com

well, the soi itself probably was named after the family. Na-na does have various meanings, na.....

A na..

There are few other words for a preposition ' Na ' are ' Ner, and Nu ' ( very informal ) :o

Cheers :D

He must have looked at the online Bangkok post language section, see below.

:D Could you post the link to the info in Bkk Post? I only posted because I had heard it before from a few live persons, not from reading online.

Alf, could you give more info :o ? Searched for Nasrula but got no results on TV.

Perhaps there were several influential Thai families who got together to develop the area, such as the Na Ayuttayas, the Na Chiang Mais for example. And once the area plans were developed, they decided to shorten the development name to Nana. :o

I have never heard of a Thai family called "Nana"?

The Indian family is Narula - not Nasrula - and I don't see how that could transmogrify into "Nana".

That said, lot of lower Sukhumvit land - particularyly in the even numbered Sois - is certainly owned by VERY rich Thai - Indian families ........... they aren't all Tailors you know!

Patrick