Make $$$ From Your Dsl Conenction

phazey

Came across http://www.2hotspot.com earlier. Basically a free wireless hotspot software with a billing mechanism for sharing your internet connection. I'm going to have a play with it tonight. Would work well in hotels/condo's etc....even for neighbourhood internet...

./P

Ps: i'm not affiliated in any way with the company or software - no alarm bells rang when i installed it....

Hi Phazey,

There's other stuff giving you hotspot possibilities!

Check out http://www.publicip.net/

All these systems are based on putting a gateway server between your adsl and the accesspoint(s).

This gateway computer will serve any user wanting to surf a log-in page, where you can either register or just enter username/password if you have.

It will then verify these credentials against a database stored on the program's owners servers.

This database is not on your own computer, you have to do this through a webinterface on the program's owners' servers, so they still keep control over you. Nobody will guarantee this service will stay for free!

Since the 2hotspot service is still in beta we'll not know how long it will remain free (what's in it for them???)

The publicip system is operating for several years already, and the free service lives besides a payed for service (much more comprehensive with payment gateways etc.).

I also like the fact the publicip is based on a live linux cd (no linux experience needed!) so you only need a cheap old pc to use it on. No harddisk at all required, everything boots from cd...

Basically a 300Mhz upwards machine, with cdrom drive, floppy or USB memorystick (to store your personal settings), two network cards and 128 mb of ram will do. You can assemble this for a few thousand baht, combine this with a wifi accesspoint and you're ready to roll!!

Cheers,

Monty