Former Thai politician given jail term by Court for embezzling Cambodian firm’s money

webfact

Former politician given jail term by Court for embezzling Cambodian firm’s money

229-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former Member of Parliament (MP) for Ratchaburi province of the Pheu Thai Party and former deputy education minister Pol Lt Chawarin Latthasaksiri was today given one year and six months in prison for embezzlement over the purchase of cement from a  Thai cement company by a Cambodian firm.

Chawarin was charged with fraud and violation of the Computer Crime Act after he was accused of falsifying the billing document of a Thai cement manufacturing firm, TPI Polene (TPI).

The forgery misled a Phnom Penh-based company, BPC Trading, to wrongly pay 11 million baht for the cement it  purchased into the account of his charity organization instead of the cement firm.

But at today’s hearing of the ruling at the presence of Chawarin, the Criminal Court acquitted him of the fraud and computer crime charges as the plaintiff could not produce witnesses to testify that his organization has hacked into the Cambodian firm’s data base, and forged its document.

The court said as the elements to meet the fraud charge were incomplete, the defendant would be given the benefit of the doubt.

The court then acquitted him of the charges.

However the court ruled that as he refused to return the 11 million cash wrongfully transfered into his charity organization’s account by the Cambodian firm, this manifested his dishonesty that he intended to hold the money for himself which was tantamount to embezzlement offence.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-politician-given-jail-term-court-embezzling-cambodian-firms-money/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-27

10 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

Why are they always.     Pol Lt ,is it something to do with their training?

The rank needs to be purchased one way or the other.

A return on investment needs to be found. This is principally achieved by leveraging the power gained from reduced susceptibility of investigation or prosecution in order to commit illegal profitable acts that ordinary people would not be able to get away with.

In this case, his level of protection seems to have foundered perhaps with the political winds of change.

I hope this helps.

6 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Well, as far as the current administration is concerned it's open season on the Pheu Thai Party and anyone connected to it.

Same goes for anybody else who doesn't share the PM's vision of the future.

Which is a much preferable to PTP criminals being untouchable, don't you think?

15 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Well, as far as the current administration is concerned it's open season on the Pheu Thai Party and anyone connected to it.

Same goes for anybody else who doesn't share the PM's vision of the future.

Yes its far better to let them steal and defraud others and get away with it. That is the PTP way. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes its far better to let them steal and defraud others and get away with it. That is the PTP way. 

I'm not condoning anything the PTP did and the rice scheme was nothing more than a populist policy designed to ensure Yingluck's continued presence as PM with her brother holding the reins in the background.

But is the current administration any different? We've already seen evidence of nepotism with prime contracts being awarded to relatives and friends so nothing has really changed if you think about it.

10 hours ago, Xircal said:

I'm not condoning anything the PTP did and the rice scheme was nothing more than a populist policy designed to ensure Yingluck's continued presence as PM with her brother holding the reins in the background.

But is the current administration any different? We've already seen evidence of nepotism with prime contracts being awarded to relatives and friends so nothing has really changed if you think about it.

No the current administration has its bad sides too and how they handle the case of Prayuts nephew will decide if they are different. But I wont hold my breath. But they did go after far more corruption then any other government before them. So that is a good thing, however its hypocrit if they don't go after their own. That is why i feel that Thai governments need to change often so corruption does not stay hidden and gets punished. Its the only way because when someone is in power they only go after others. Its unfortunate but that is how it is. I do hope they will go after the army corruption at one point too. 

10 hours ago, Xircal said:

"Nothing has really changed".  The country has gone from a supposedly democratic system to being run by a military junta - and we all know the history of the military forming that junta in terms of corruption and respect for democracy and the common people, and nothing has really changed. Puts the PTP, and the man behind it, into perspective, doesn't it?  The current junta, and the previous system (all parties included), are just two sides of the same coin. Stealing from the country, giving a little back to bribe the electorate and pocketing the rest, all the while trying to remain in the driver's seat when the upcoming major event at the top happens.  It really is ridiculous to be trying to defend one side or the other.  Anyone truly on the side of the people would be firmly against both.

16 hours ago, whatproblem said:

Why are they always.     Pol Lt ,is it something to do with their training?

Thaksin was a police major he never used his rank , they continue with their titles after the event, the appointment of Generals as department heads was a trade off from the student victory for democracy, to save face for the military  they agreed to this , next time they will be all confined to barracks forever, one reason why the Junta is frightened of the students.   

9 hours ago, robblok said:

No the current administration has its bad sides too and how they handle the case of Prayuts nephew will decide if they are different. But I wont hold my breath. But they did go after far more corruption then any other government before them. So that is a good thing, however its hypocrit if they don't go after their own. That is why i feel that Thai governments need to change often so corruption does not stay hidden and gets punished. Its the only way because when someone is in power they only go after others. Its unfortunate but that is how it is. I do hope they will go after the army corruption at one point too. 

G'day   robblok,   Get the lot of them corrupt from all sides.  people who profit from dishonest conduct should be gaoled........

While I do agree with much of your comment and support most of your opinions,  BUT..  I'd like to ask you 2/3 questions that a few here like smedly,halloween djjamie etc,  always avoid/ignore as it's not to their liking similarly as the PM and his antics when asked questions he doesn't like by reporters.

1.  Is transferring money from one official bank account to another personal account,   Dishonest/theft/embezzlement?

2.  Is listing a personal address and a business address in a tax payer funded military barracks dishonest/fraud?

3.  Because the courts did not charge the former PTP  with embezzlement but instead for being dishonest with a little over a one year gaol term a failure of the Thai judicial system?

I really am interested in yours and the above mentioned thoughts...   cheers.

14 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

G'day   robblok,   Get the lot of them corrupt from all sides.  people who profit from dishonest conduct should be gaoled........

While I do agree with much of your comment and support most of your opinions,  BUT..  I'd like to ask you 2/3 questions that a few here like smedly,halloween djjamie etc,  always avoid/ignore as it's not to their liking similarly as the PM and his antics when asked questions he doesn't like by reporters.

1.  Is transferring money from one official bank account to another personal account,   Dishonest/theft/embezzlement?

2.  Is listing a personal address and a business address in a tax payer funded military barracks dishonest/fraud?

3.  Because the courts did not charge the former PTP  with embezzlement but instead for being dishonest with a little over a one year gaol term a failure of the Thai judicial system?

I really am interested in yours and the above mentioned thoughts...   cheers.

1) depends on the reason (cant be much more clearer without a clearer description)

2) Not sure if there is a law against that here 

3) The guy is guilty and should have gotten a far harsher sentence stupid thief 

51 minutes ago, robblok said:

1) depends on the reason (cant be much more clearer without a clearer description)

2) Not sure if there is a law against that here 

3) The guy is guilty and should have gotten a far harsher sentence stupid thief 

Thanks' for your reply mate,  

1) "depends on the reason (can't be more clearer without a clear description") 

C'mon mate you can do better than that,  commit to an opinion like you commit to pressing 200 kg's for the umpteenth time when your body say no, but your will/brain/commitment say's  yes... 

But ok how would this explanation fly in a court of law/investigation in your country?   "I was just looking after it"...  I would think most democratic countries would look at this with extreme care so as to show the law applies no matter who the person is...

Now with the same evidence if this person was a PTP politician would you be so on the fence in your comment???

3) "The guy is guilty and should have gotten a far harsher sentence stupid thief".    Agreed....

1) really no idea.. if money is put from a government account to a private without invoices reason and so on then it is theft just as much as anything. If there are invoices or its a salary payment ect, then its a different thing. Otherwise just fraud

39 minutes ago, robblok said:

1) really no idea.. if money is put from a government account to a private without invoices reason and so on then it is theft just as much as anything. If there are invoices or its a salary payment ect, then its a different thing. Otherwise just fraud

Ok rob,  commitment seems to be a problem,  your better than this mate,,   skirting around this question...   So ok .

"invoice"  Oxford Dictionary;  noun,     a list of goods that have been purchased,  work that has been done, etc,  showing what you must pay...

Now the fact and admitted to publicly, a person transfers money from an official account to a privet account.

If the transfer of money has not been officially sanctioned by superior's then what do you call it?

22 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

Ok rob,  commitment seems to be a problem,  your better than this mate,,   skirting around this question...   So ok .

"invoice"  Oxford Dictionary;  noun,     a list of goods that have been purchased,  work that has been done, etc,  showing what you must pay...

Now the fact and admitted to publicly, a person transfers money from an official account to a privet account.

If the transfer of money has not been officially sanctioned by superior's then what do you call it?

Fraud.. theft .. whatever.

8 hours ago, aussieinthailand said:

Then say it mate,, call it for what it is ,,, not "whatever"  Should a person that did this be prosecuted regardless of position???

No mate you had to be clear what it was.. just transferring money from one account to an other is not a crime if there is a reason for it. You have to be clear in what you want to know. If I transfer money from my company to you  its not theft if there is an invoice and even if there is none there still could be other reasons what it is.

Now again it really depends on the situation what it is called.

If someone transfers money from a government account to his / her own without a sound reason I would call it fraud or theft (or whatever legal terms there are in English) and depending on the amount (few euros or 1000's) the guy / girl should be prosecuted. I don't know why you think i would say different I am against fraud. If this is about PM his brother.. i have said in multiple topics that the should be hung out to dry an prosecuted. I don't care on what side a criminal is (as I have shown in all my topics) I want them all prosecuted.

I also said that the only way to get justice in Thailand is when there is a government change because those in power never go after their own. I had hopes about the army (at least they go after many others and set up a good frame work for the future) but by  this problem with his brother they shown themselves to be hypocrites too. 

I dont care if people are voted in or if its a coup.. as long as they are not crooks. Unfortunately its too much to ask to go after their own. So I hope that whoever is in power next will take care of this matter. Just like how all the corruption of the PTP only got investigated when the army was in power. I still feel the army does far more against corruption then the PTP (YL wanted to pardon 26.000 corruption cases V.S army even went after Suthep his son and Sondi and democrat major) But by not going after PM his brother they show they are not that much better. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

No mate you had to be clear what it was.. just transferring money from one account to an other is not a crime if there is a reason for it. You have to be clear in what you want to know. If I transfer money from my company to you  its not theft if there is an invoice and even if there is none there still could be other reasons what it is.

Now again it really depends on the situation what it is called.

If someone transfers money from a government account to his / her own without a sound reason I would call it fraud or theft (or whatever legal terms there are in English) and depending on the amount (few euros or 1000's) the guy / girl should be prosecuted. I don't know why you think i would say different I am against fraud. If this is about PM his brother.. i have said in multiple topics that the should be hung out to dry an prosecuted. I don't care on what side a criminal is (as I have shown in all my topics) I want them all prosecuted.

I also said that the only way to get justice in Thailand is when there is a government change because those in power never go after their own. I had hopes about the army (at least they go after many others and set up a good frame work for the future) but by  this problem with his brother they shown themselves to be hypocrites too. 

I dont care if people are voted in or if its a coup.. as long as they are not crooks. Unfortunately its too much to ask to go after their own. So I hope that whoever is in power next will take care of this matter. Just like how all the corruption of the PTP only got investigated when the army was in power. I still feel the army does far more against corruption then the PTP (YL wanted to pardon 26.000 corruption cases V.S army even went after Suthep his son and Sondi and democrat major) But by not going after PM his brother they show they are not that much better. 

That's exactly what I was looking/asking for...

Yes my question was related to the PM's brother and money transferred to his account without sanction or justifiably legal reason,  and his public excuse was,  "I'm just looking after it".

4 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

That's exactly what I was looking/asking for...

Yes my question was related to the PM's brother and money transferred to his account without sanction or justifiably legal reason,  and his public excuse was,  "I'm just looking after it".

Not a good excuse at all.. should be prosecuted for fraud / theft.