Crazy Chicken

tatom

Im used to things being different here, but this really got me.

Ive been raising Gai Paa (wild chickens) for a few years. They are beautiful looking birds, smaller than regular chickens, and prolific layers. They are easy to care for, no coup needed as they sleep in the trees. I do give them a little grain, but they can survive without it.

Ive only had one rooster for the last 6 months or so, and one day last month, I heard what sounded like a young rooster just learning to crow. I looked around and saw it was coming from one of the hens! Then, a couple weeks later, the hen crowed again, but sounded much better.

Ive had quite a few chickens in my day, but never heard a hen crow. Does this happen occasionally, or should I call Ripley's believe it or not?

OMG A katoey chicken, what next. :o

I assume said 'hen' does actually lay eggs, it's not really what you originally thought, a young cockerel?

EDIT Looks like it's quite common, check out the last paragraph of this page http://www.blpbooks.co.uk/articles/cock_cr...owing_noise.php I don't recommend burning it at the stake though (better barbecued).

Edited by Crossy

Ive been raising Gai Paa (wild chickens) for a few years. They are beautiful looking birds, smaller than regular chickens, and prolific layers. They are easy to care for, no coup needed as they sleep in the trees. I do give them a little grain, but they can survive without it.

Ive only had one rooster for the last 6 months or so, and one day last month, I heard what sounded like a young rooster just learning to crow. I looked around and saw it was coming from one of the hens! Then, a couple weeks later, the hen crowed again, but sounded much better.

Ive had quite a few chickens in my day, but never heard a hen crow. Does this happen occasionally, or should I call Ripley's believe it or not?

Maybe the hen is very in touch with its masculine side. :o

r u serious??????? :o:D:D:D

checked with out chicken people; they sa;y that if u have too many females among young hens and chickens then sometimes a young hen changes her sexual status to male... not sure how it works but we had those icky white laying chickens and had one start to develop a bigger comb, and crow etc....and she became male... not sure if the;y are sterile though or not...

bina

checked with out chicken people; they sa;y that if u have too many females among young hens and chickens then sometimes a young hen changes her sexual status to male... not sure how it works but we had those icky white laying chickens and had one start to develop a bigger comb, and crow etc....and she became male... not sure if the;y are sterile though or not...

bina

Nature's way of balancing the gender ratio.