Blood Parasite, E-Canis, Anaplasma, Thai "Vets"

Strange

On 24/11/2559 at 3:15 PM, jak2002003 said:

Hi.  Both my small mix breed dogs got this tick blood liver parasite thing.. even though I use frontline and hardly every see a tick on them.

The first dog was only a puppy when she got it and nearly died.  The problem is that the dogs seem OK one day and suddenly go downhill fast... and if you wait a day or so to see if they get better the disease has got 100 times worse!.. The had to spend many days in the vest on a drip and was very weak. 

That is how I knew what to do when the second dog started showing the same symptoms about a year later.  I noticed when she was less active than normal.. a bit off her food, and her skin felt really hot under her belly.  Also a very important sign is the gums seem to go light pink from lack of blood and they start to breath faster than normal.  I rushed her to the vet and with the early treatment she got better very fast.

Then the smaller dog got it a second time.  Again prompt action.  Dog got better.. but the vets made a mistakes with the medication they gave me to take home.. and I was shocked when the dog suddenly got worse about a week later.. going back to the vet they were very rude to me and would not admit their mistake... trying to blame me for not giving the tables they gave to me... despite the fact they never gave them to me!!!  They had to treat the dog again from the start and they even charged me a second time.  The actual vet knew they made the mistake.. but he could not say anything to his boss.. because of the staff dispensing the medication would get into trouble or loose face.  So I now use a different vet.

So moral of the story is.. as soon as your dog seems slightly not acting normal, less active and pale gums... get it to a vet and get and blood parasite test.

With quick treatment this disease if very easy to cure and the dog will get better in less than a week.  But delay a few days and it gets much more serious. 

i dont know if you have read any of my postings regarding,ticks,vets and medications.

when you say if its caught early and you get treatment straight away,it will be very easy to cure in less than a WEEK.

dont delude yourself as there is a lot more to this treatment than what you think.

our boy showed something was not right just once,a wobble as if he was drunk.straight to the vets,after the so called treatment which took all of over 3months.

no discolour of his gums,eating as well as ever,very active,but depressed.blood tests every 7 to 14days proved NOTHING yet the vet kept insisting the parasite.s sometimes dont show on the blood tests.[B.S,]

after a 5month spell no signs of anything the vet calls HERE WE GO AGAIN.

SEPT.2015 5months later and 3different vets we were now at breaking point.and the gravy train was still rolling.

after many recommendations we eventually went to what has been said the best animal hospital in korat[issan]

so you should read mine and many of the other members posts if you think cureing is easy,[ITS NOT]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

i dont know if you have read any of my postings regarding,ticks,vets and medications.

when you say if its caught early and you get treatment straight away,it will be very easy to cure in less than a WEEK.

dont delude yourself as there is a lot more to this treatment than what you think.

our boy showed something was not right just once,a wobble as if he was drunk.straight to the vets,after the so called treatment which took all of over 3months.

no discolour of his gums,eating as well as ever,very active,but depressed.blood tests every 7 to 14days proved NOTHING yet the vet kept insisting the parasite.s sometimes dont show on the blood tests.[B.S,]

after a 5month spell no signs of anything the vet calls HERE WE GO AGAIN.

SEPT.2015 5months later and 3different vets we were now at breaking point.and the gravy train was still rolling.

after many recommendations we eventually went to what has been said the best animal hospital in korat[issan]

so you should read mine and many of the other members posts if you think cureing is easy,[ITS NOT]

Maybe in your situation it is because the vets you are using are not getting it right or are misdiagnosing the illness?

I know both my dogs, when we got the test and diagnosis very early at the first signs of the disease.. they got better really fast.. and it was not expensive... just a couple on injections, a course of 2 different tablets, and some iron paste put in their food every day.

No lasting damage.  But the one I left too long.. because I was not sure what was wrong.. that one nearly died the fist time... but still got better quickly once treatment began... about 2 weeks. 

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Maybe in your situation it is because the vets you are using are not getting it right or are misdiagnosing the illness?

I know both my dogs, when we got the test and diagnosis very early at the first signs of the disease.. they got better really fast.. and it was not expensive... just a couple on injections, a course of 2 different tablets, and some iron paste put in their food every day.

No lasting damage.  But the one I left too long.. because I was not sure what was wrong.. that one nearly died the fist time... but still got better quickly once treatment began... about 2 weeks. 

Do you know what tests were performed and how the diagnosis was made? 

What area of Thailand were you in? What kind of Vet? Local Thai vet 'clinic'?

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

Do you know what tests were performed and how the diagnosis was made? 

What area of Thailand were you in? What kind of Vet? Local Thai vet 'clinic'?

I live in Chiang Mai.

I don't use the small local vet clinics for much, only basic things, as I found they don't have all the equipment or expertise of the bigger vets.... however they are much cheaper. 

I used a big vet clinic / hospital in San Sai, near behind the Big C supermarket.  It is a 24 hours hospital for small animals, has a hydrotherapy swimming pool for dogs and is a small animals Hotel. 

It was just one blood test for the liver / tick parasite... which was done straight away and I got the results after just a few minutes.   Here is the link to it. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/O-HO-Dog-Hotel/105334456267866

On 11/24/2016 at 3:15 PM, jak2002003 said:

So moral of the story is.. as soon as your dog seems slightly not acting normal, less active and pale gums... get it to a vet and get and blood parasite test.

The problem is that most vets here and most vet 'clinics' can NOT do any real testing. And if they have a 'blood test' its a very basic & instant type of test. Another problem is these kits they use for the testing require maintenance and calibration and Thais are not the best at this. Not all of course but this isn't an area of discussion where being 'slack' and 'thainess' can be accepted. 

Once the simple blood test is done, you have a 'general' idea of what it 'could be' based on whats 'common' here. Thats not good enough considering that if you get it wrong, your dog dies. 

The further testing that need to be done to actually CONFIRM what EXACTLY the problem is, the local clinics can not do. So its just a guessing game. The local clinics literally make shit up and have zero accountability. 

There are only a couple of things in this country that have infuriated me to the point of wanting to back my bags and leave and the treatment of animals by vets & thais alike is one of them. 

21 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

It was just one blood test for the liver / tick parasite... which was done straight away and I got the results after just a few minutes.   Here is the link to it. 

If that was the only test you got then you were lucky because its very likely that it was only a simple CBC and no real confirmation of whats actually killing your dog and thats the whole problem. 

Low platelet and pale gums - why? If it gets to the point of palish gums, lethargy, zero appetite there is no time to 'try' different medications. An exact diagnosis is needed. 

Edited by Strange

the blood tests that were done, jan.2015-feb.2016 =17 over that period.all done by an approved blood lab.and by an animal lab.

around 18 different results [blood chemistry] and easy to understand as its compared to normal range of kasetsart university.

first the lab said it was HEPATOZOON which attacks the WBC.

after the first lot then a blood test done 5months later the blood parasite anaplasma platys[ehrlichia canis] was present.

what happened from sept.2015-feb 2016 i want to forget.

in oct.2015 he nearly died with a masive nose bleed THE CAUSE antibiotics mixed with steriods and others it took 15hrs to stop the bleeding. my wife stayed with him every minute while i contemplated killing the vet.

i cant praise the doctors who looked after him but the facilities were not up to standad.

this is very hard for me to write this again,but let this be a WARNING to all of us that love our pets BE AWARE.

meatboy love me love my dog.

On 11/25/2016 at 11:32 AM, dick dasterdly said:

An annual blood test for these parasites is the best solution IMO - if possible.

I think it needs to be clarified as to what exact test is used for detecting these parasites as a the most common is a CBC and that is not diagnosing the parasites or anything really. 

I am not a vet but geez the simple 'blood test' isn't anything to bet an animals life on. 

It appears that a CBC + Blood Smear + Antibody Test is standard in the rest of the world and this is not done in a majority of vet 'clinics'. 

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/glossaryterms/a/CW-Ehrlichiosis.htm

Diagnosis of Ehrlichiosis

It can be difficult to confirm a diagnosis of Ehrlichiosis. Blood tests typically show a decreased number of platelets ("thrombocytopenia") and sometimes decreased numbers of red blood cells(anemia) and/or white blood cells.

Changes in the protein levels in the blood may also occur. Blood smears can be examined for the presence of the Ehrlichia organisms. If they are present, the diagnosis can be confirmed, but they may not always show up on a smear. Blood can also be tested for antibodies to Ehrlichia — though this can sometimes produce incorrect results.

Specialized testing can check for genetic material from Ehrlichia, and while this is the most sensitive test, it is not widely available and has some limitations as well. Generally, a combination of lab tests along with clinical signs and history are used to make a diagnosis.

The diagnosis is further complicated by the fact that dogs infected with Ehrlichia may also be infected with other diseases carried by ticks, such as BabesiaLyme disease, or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Infection with a bacteria called Bartonella has also been found in conjunction with Erlichiosis and other tick borne diseases. The presence of these other diseases can make symptoms more severe, and the diagnosis can be more complicated.

Edited by Strange

over that 18months myself and the wife are more or less qualified in the analysis of the complete laboratory diagnostic report.

CBC should inclued the following.

blood chemistry.

creatinine [kidney]

alt[sgpt] liver]

CBC

WBC COUNT

RBC

HGB

HCT

MCV

MCH

MCHC

RBC MORPHOLOGY   HYPOCHROMIC

POLYCHROMASIA

WBC  DIFFERENTIAL

NEUTROPHIL

LYMPHOCYTE

MONOCYTE

EOSINOPHIL

BASOPHIL

BAND FORM

PLATELET COUNT

BLOOD PARASITE

OTHERS     LIPEMIC SERUM.

all the above is quite easy to understand when looked up.they all should have a count and a normal range to compare.

these medications are some of what was given to my beloved over 18 months with a 5month interval.

doxy [antibiotic]

sulfa[antibiotic]

prednisolone [steriod]

lipocal

and liver suport and energy tabs.

1 hour ago, Strange said:

I think it needs to be clarified as to what exact test is used for detecting these parasites as a the most common is a CBC and that is not diagnosing the parasites or anything really. 

I am not a vet but geez the simple 'blood test' isn't anything to bet an animals life on. 

It appears that a CBC + Blood Smear + Antibody Test is standard in the rest of the world and this is not done in a majority of vet 'clinics'. 

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/glossaryterms/a/CW-Ehrlichiosis.htm

Bloody hell - it gets even more complicated!

I've no idea as to the test carried out by my vet, but remember that on at least one occasion the test revealed 2 (possibly 3) types of blood parasite.  I think (but could be wrong as it was a while ago) that one of them was Babesia.

When the dog had been treated previously against tick borne blood parasites - I was also warned that the latest (positive) blood test result could be just anti-bodies showing up - and so the 'full' blood tests (as per Meatboys post above) were carried out.

2 hours ago, meatboy said:

these medications are some of what was given to my beloved over 18 months with a 5month interval.

doxy [antibiotic]

sulfa[antibiotic]

prednisolone [steriod]

lipocal

Im not a vet but the local animal 'clinic' (misery hotel) did the simple 5 minute blood test.

Gave us way overdosed doxy, and prednisolone. 

1 day later I was in Thonglor and showed them the blood test results and the medication the local vet prescribed. 

I was informed after all their tests were done that the doxy and steroid should not be taken together at all as its 'very dangerous'. 

I dont know why but thats what they told me and I followed what they said. 

15 hours ago, Strange said:

Im not a vet but the local animal 'clinic' (misery hotel) did the simple 5 minute blood test.

Gave us way overdosed doxy, and prednisolone. 

1 day later I was in Thonglor and showed them the blood test results and the medication the local vet prescribed. 

I was informed after all their tests were done that the doxy and steroid should not be taken together at all as its 'very dangerous'. 

I dont know why but thats what they told me and I followed what they said. 

over that 18months myself and the wife are more or less qualified in the analysis of the complete laboratory diagnostic report.

CBC should inclued the following.

blood chemistry.

creatinine [kidney]

alt[sgpt] liver]

CBC

WBC COUNT

RBC

HGB

HCT

MCV

MCH

MCHC

RBC MORPHOLOGY   HYPOCHROMIC

POLYCHROMASIA

WBC  DIFFERENTIAL

NEUTROPHIL

LYMPHOCYTE

MONOCYTE

EOSINOPHIL

BASOPHIL

BAND FORM

PLATELET COUNT

BLOOD PARASITE

OTHERS     LIPEMIC SERUM.

all the above is quite easy to understand when looked up.they all should have a count and a normal range to compare.

doxy [antibiotic]

sulfa[antibiotic]

prednisolone [steriod]

lipocal

when i said about killing the vet i was not kidding,he was given,doxy,predisolone and sulfa together [SAME TIME]

i feel i must warn you about this.

going to another vet for a blood test,this you have to believe,i understand when a blood test is done it must be submitted for analysis within a certain time, not certain but i think it was 24hrs.when we got the result the vet said he must have 7days of flushing his kidneys asp.at 1,000bht.plus meds. my wife smelt a rat as his kidneys were in good shape.so she found out the lab.that done the test, and told the doctor who done the test when the blood was taken.it turned out it hadnt been submitted for 43hrs.

so the lab doctor was very honest and told the wife not to take any notice of the test.so we had it done elswhere within 1day,surprise it was totely different.so that was another vet who didnt care one iota about the welfare of our beloved as long as the gravy train kept rolling.so you see if you suspect you are being conned [more than likely you are]

• 1 month later...
On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 7:51 AM, meatboy said:

what a relief,you were at the best place in bkk.we to were told that the animal hospital we eventually went to in korat was the best around and yes it was cheaper than the parasites that were ripping us off and nearly killed our boy.sice he came home from ittivet in korat he has been a different dog,one who's enjoying his life.

if it does mean you have to travel SO BE IT our travel is only an hr.back and fo.my love for my boy helped me overcome the fear of driving on these roads.

good luck to your boy and do make a full recovery. 

meatboy love me love my dog.

Hello Meatboy! 

I too live in Korat and after loosing 3 cats in the space of 1 week (feline distemper) I am absoluteltly furious, not to mention disappointed, with our usual "vet" in Korat City. Would you mind sharing your vet's contact info with me? 

We don't have any pets now, but I want to change vets if/when we get new ones. I simply have no faith in the other one. 

Thanking you in advance.

Edited by djayz

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 0:42 PM, dick dasterdly said:

The problem is that although various medications can kill ticks - they've already bitten your dog, and so passed on any tick-borne blood infections.

Edit - Which reminds me that I need to spray all the obvious places (now that the tick season is underway again :sad:) to hopefully kill ticks before they reach my dogs.

What do you use to kill ticks? Where can I buy it? Thanking you in advance. 

18 hours ago, djayz said:

What do you use to kill ticks? Where can I buy it? Thanking you in advance. 

there are plenty on the nett.pet supplies.offering different ones,there is a load on this forum on what to buy and which ones.

we buy through a pet supplies on the nett although you can get them at the vets a lot dearer.

a lot of members use spot on,you dab it on the neck and shoulders once a month.and bayticol mixture to spray around the house or outside where your pet lays.a lot use frontline,we use controline for dogs.

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but one of my dogs have come down AGAIN with a tick parasite disease.

Can I simply go the pharmacy and buy this Doxycycline and treat the dog myself rather then going to the vets? 

This is the 4th time, despite regular treatment with front line spot on and there being no obvious tick problem. 

This is costing me a fortune.. about 10000 Baht each time... the vets in my area seem only interested in making as much money as they can.. and go well over the top with tests that are not needed, and telling me my dog needs to stay in the vets for days... they even make serious mistakes.. like forgetting to give me all the medication.. then whey the dog got worse they lied and told me they had given my the medication.. and then the poor dog had to start treatment all over again.. which they charged me for even though it was their negligence!  

I used another vet after them, and they took really bad care of my dog.. leaving it in a small cage and not taking it out to poop.. so the cage and dog were filthy!  

I take good care of my 2 dogs.. and use frontline spot on each month.. and we don't have a tick problem. However, the dogs still pick up the odd tick less than 2 a month.  Seems like there is nothing we can do to stop the dogs picking up the disease.. only reduce the chances. from eliminating the ticks in the first place.. something that is impossible when living out in the sticks in a rural area.

I think generally speaking you can. However, I would ask the pharmacist first. Some companies would be more anal than others re human/animal use. Just ask the vet purely for Doxy if the blood test shows positive to a tick disease (the tick Snap Test). Snap test is either a positive/negative result. The CBC will just show what damage the disease has done, or other illnesses have done. Either way if it is a positive the vet needs to give Doxy obviously. Even just ask for the Snap test so they cant mess you around with the CBC if you think the dog doesn't need it. 

Even take in the relevant research that outlines the Doxy treatment if you have to. Otherwise I think you can report vets to the Ministry if he refuses to give you it. 

Use Bravecto or Nexgard. But watch closely for side effects as some dogs do not like it (still fall within the allowed safety margin of all drugs/pesticides). Kills ticks within 12 hours, and diseases usually take 24-48 hours of attachment to transmit to the dog - so not much chance of the dog catching a disease. 

Also feed raw if you don't already. Dog will be more likely to eliminate the tick bacteria before it moves into the chronic phase (as even many humans naturally eliminate bacteria). Chronic phase is where no matter how much you don't trust the vet you will paying a lot per day. 

Edited by wildewillie89

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

I think generally speaking you can. However, I would ask the pharmacist first. Some companies would be more anal than others re human/animal use. Just ask the vet purely for Doxy if the blood test shows positive to a tick disease (the tick Snap Test). Snap test is either a positive/negative result. The CBC will just show what damage the disease has done, or other illnesses have done. Either way if it is a positive the vet needs to give Doxy obviously. Even just ask for the Snap test so they cant mess you around with the CBC if you think the dog doesn't need it. 

Even take in the relevant research that outlines the Doxy treatment if you have to. Otherwise I think you can report vets to the Ministry if he refuses to give you it. 

Use Bravecto or Nexgard. But watch closely for side effects as some dogs do not like it (still fall within the allowed safety margin of all drugs/pesticides). Kills ticks within 12 hours, and diseases usually take 24-48 hours of attachment to transmit to the dog - so not much chance of the dog catching a disease. 

Also feed raw if you don't already. Dog will be more likely to eliminate the tick bacteria before it moves into the chronic phase (as even many humans naturally eliminate bacteria). Chronic phase is where no matter how much you don't trust the vet you will paying a lot per day. 

"Use Bravecto or Nexgard. But watch closely for side effects as some dogs do not like it (still fall within the allowed safety margin of all drugs/pesticides). Kills ticks within 12 hours, and diseases usually take 24-48 hours of attachment to transmit to the dog - so not much chance of the dog catching a disease."

Agree entirely - so far, they are 'wonder solutions' to tick problems.

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Use Bravecto or Nexgard. But watch closely for side effects as some dogs do not like it (still fall within the allowed safety margin of all drugs/pesticides). Kills ticks within 12 hours, and diseases usually take 24-48 hours of attachment to transmit to the dog - so not much chance of the dog catching a disease."

Agree entirely - so far, they are 'wonder solutions' to tick problems.

http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages%2Fnews_and_events%2Fnews%2F2017%2F08%2Fnews_detail_002798.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058004d5c1

A lot of hype about the safety of the drugs. Europe just added convulsions to the side effects. Seizures, convulsions being one very talked about side effect - especially on the Facebook pages. But looking at the reporting it is less than 1 in 10,000. The MMR vaccines we pump into our children are 1 in 4,000 from memory for a seizure. But if do not get the vaccine, then that risk doubles from the symptoms of the illness.

In terms of tick diseases, which may cause the exact same side effects. I would say a risk analysis would show the risk of the disease far outweighs the risk of the drug side effects in Thailand. Would I use the drug back in Melbourne - no. But it has been a life saver here. 

Edited by wildewillie89

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I know this is an old thread, but one of my dogs have come down AGAIN with a tick parasite disease.

Can I simply go the pharmacy and buy this Doxycycline and treat the dog myself rather then going to the vets? 

This is the 4th time, despite regular treatment with front line spot on and there being no obvious tick problem. 

This is costing me a fortune.. about 10000 Baht each time... the vets in my area seem only interested in making as much money as they can.. and go well over the top with tests that are not needed, and telling me my dog needs to stay in the vets for days... they even make serious mistakes.. like forgetting to give me all the medication.. then whey the dog got worse they lied and told me they had given my the medication.. and then the poor dog had to start treatment all over again.. which they charged me for even though it was their negligence!  

I used another vet after them, and they took really bad care of my dog.. leaving it in a small cage and not taking it out to poop.. so the cage and dog were filthy!  

I take good care of my 2 dogs.. and use frontline spot on each month.. and we don't have a tick problem. However, the dogs still pick up the odd tick less than 2 a month.  Seems like there is nothing we can do to stop the dogs picking up the disease.. only reduce the chances. from eliminating the ticks in the first place.. something that is impossible when living out in the sticks in a rural area.

my heart goes out to you,as I have posted many times I too have been through it all,with vets that don't care a sh-t about the welfare of your dog as long as they keep the gravy train going.

how did you come to the conclusion that one of your beloved has come down with it again.

if so try and visit one of,kasetsart clinics or like we done this march went to khon kaen vetinary uni.these instatutions you can rearly trust them 100%.

8 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages%2Fnews_and_events%2Fnews%2F2017%2F08%2Fnews_detail_002798.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058004d5c1

A lot of hype about the safety of the drugs. Europe just added convulsions to the side effects. Seizures, convulsions being one very talked about side effect - especially on the Facebook pages. But looking at the reporting it is less than 1 in 10,000. The MMR vaccines we pump into our children are 1 in 4,000 from memory for a seizure. But if do not get the vaccine, then that risk doubles from the symptoms of the illness.

In terms of tick diseases, which may cause the exact same side effects. I would say a risk analysis would show the risk of the disease far outweighs the risk of the drug side effects in Thailand. Would I use the drug back in Melbourne - no. But it has been a life saver here. 

My dogs have been on Bravecto and then Nexguard since approx. the beginning of the year , with no side-effects other than zero ticks - whereas they used to be a frequently recurring, serious problem.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Regarding spot on treatment and negative side effects, the EPA found these breeds to be higher risk of side effects in 2010:

- Reactions in mixed breed dogs were most commonly reported, however, the Chihuahua, Shih Tzu, Miniature Poodle, Pomeranian, Dachshund, Maltese, Yorkshire terrier and Bichon Frise seem particularly at risk.

Bravecto and Nexgard still very much being spoken about. One of my dogs does great on Bravecto but reacted to Nexgard, loss of energy/itching. The vet (yes, Thai vet lol), reported the reaction immediately. 

Edited by wildewillie89

6 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Just ask the vet purely for Doxy if the blood test shows positive to a tick disease (the tick Snap Test). Snap test is either a positive/negative result. The CBC will just show what damage the disease has done, or other illnesses have done. Either way if it is a positive the vet needs to give Doxy obviously. Even just ask for the Snap test so they cant mess you around with the CBC if you think the dog doesn't need it. 

Use Bravecto or Nexgard. 

Also feed raw if you don't already. 

On my last visit I was determined not to get ripped off.  I did as you suggested.. and said I only wanted the Snap Test.  They refused.. saying they must first do a blood test.. 2 kinds.  When I refused they got very upset and the boss came out and was very off hand and made me feel really awkward and a bad owner, and the staff were all glaring at me while one was holding my dog which was whining and whimpering in pain..  They insisted it was needed.. I was so worried about my sick dog, that I gave in. 

When they did the Snap test (4 hours later for some reason).. that meant I had to come back in the afternoon...it came back negative... but they said that often happens.. so they then said they must keep the dog overnight and do more blood tests the next day.. etc etc.. and this went on for 4 nights.. until they finally let me take the dog home..  with the medication I asked for in the first place.. plus the big rip off bill for all other tests and nights in the place...

They even used some anti tick / parasite spot on treatment on my dog without asking me!  I was angry as I only dosed my dog with the stuff about 1 week earlier.. so was worried about overdose!

'Use Bravecto or Nexgard'  Is this in a box marketed for dogs like the front line stuff... and is it sold at animal vet supply shops?

'Also feed raw if you don't already'  I feed raw chicken, eggs and other meat several times a week instead of the dry food on those days.  

So this dog is back in the vets.. overnight again.. even though its a different vet.  Have to wait and see what happens.  

My other dog has had the disease 2 times during her 7 years of life.  The one ill now its the fourth time and she is only 4 years old.  She nearly died of it the first time as I did not know what it was and left it too late... she was a fighter though!

26 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

On my last visit I was determined not to get ripped off.  I did as you suggested.. and said I only wanted the Snap Test.  They refused.. saying they must first do a blood test.. 2 kinds.  When I refused they got very upset and the boss came out and was very off hand and made me feel really awkward and a bad owner, and the staff were all glaring at me while one was holding my dog which was whining and whimpering in pain..  They insisted it was needed.. I was so worried about my sick dog, that I gave in. 

When they did the Snap test (4 hours later for some reason).. that meant I had to come back in the afternoon...it came back negative... but they said that often happens.. so they then said they must keep the dog overnight and do more blood tests the next day.. etc etc.. and this went on for 4 nights.. until they finally let me take the dog home..  with the medication I asked for in the first place.. plus the big rip off bill for all other tests and nights in the place...

They even used some anti tick / parasite spot on treatment on my dog without asking me!  I was angry as I only dosed my dog with the stuff about 1 week earlier.. so was worried about overdose!

'Use Bravecto or Nexgard'  Is this in a box marketed for dogs like the front line stuff... and is it sold at animal vet supply shops?

'Also feed raw if you don't already'  I feed raw chicken, eggs and other meat several times a week instead of the dry food on those days.  

So this dog is back in the vets.. overnight again.. even though its a different vet.  Have to wait and see what happens.  

My other dog has had the disease 2 times during her 7 years of life.  The one ill now its the fourth time and she is only 4 years old.  She nearly died of it the first time as I did not know what it was and left it too late... she was a fighter though!

Tick diseases are shit. One got me a few months ago, spent 8 days in hospital. In laws dog gave it to me, my dog never got it even though was living with the in laws at the time due to the drugs. Both drugs are licensed in Thai now. Bravecto should cost 750 Baht and last 3 months. Forget how much Nexgard is, lasts a month. Some sell 1,200 so you know they're ripping you off. Vet should sell it. 

I think can order snap tests online actually. Probably even Bravecto. I used to import it from vet back home as did many Thai vets before Thai got licensing. May be a better option if your vets are no good.

Hmm, tough one if snap comes back negative as further testing is required. Dog only needs to stay at vet if needs drip if testing can't be done til the next day anyway. No Thai vet nurse's are keeping a close watch on them in the middle of the night I'm guessing. So if dog is well enough, better for it to be at home - more comfortable.

It's almost worth us all learning how to put a drip in ourselves sometimes. I have needles in the house ready to release gas if my dogs bloat. My vets not too bad now actually but I can see how you are stressed. The vets are 20-30 years out of date, and have no critical thinking. So if we do the critical thinking, and they attach some science to it, then I think that is best. Problem is your vets sound like a know it all. My vet is keen to learn farang ways so will actually listen and converse. 

All can do really is the usual tests. Cbc, urinalysis etc and maybe ask if they can get things like babesia tested at the universities. Our vet only charged something like 300 Baht to send the blood to his university seniors to test for more diseases as he knew it was to do with my health as well. So tested for babesia and another bacteria (snap doesn't test). But, I feel for you not being able to rely on them.

Edited by wildewillie89

23 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

no mention of a IMIZOL INJECTION.2 times over 2weeks.

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

no mention of a IMIZOL INJECTION.2 times over 2weeks.

No... I think the dog had one Imizol injection even before the snap test result came back.  Only the one... no second one.

I think its obvious when they have this disease.... so the tests and blood work are not needed.  I know my dogs have it when they have the following symptoms:

1.  Stop eating

2. Have a fever.. their belly feels really hot.

3.  Lethargic 

4.  Pale gums instead of the normal red / pink colour.

Every time they get these symptoms I know they have the tick disease.  So why the vets have to do all the bloodwork, tests, wormers, tick spot on, etc etc.. must be just to make money.. rather than give me the antibiotic the dogs need.

They don't even really need a follow up exam when the dog recovers.. because, provided they have given the antibiotic and proper dose for the correct time period the disease will be over.... and if the dog is back to normal behaviour then that is enough. 

The vets have to do the relevant tests. It would be incredibly negligent, unprofessional and would open themselves to reporting if they did not do the tests. However confident we as owners are is irrelevant in these sorts of situations. Tick diseases are famous for mimicking all sorts of other diseases, not just other infections/virus, but things like autoimmune and cancer.  

Get on the Bravecto/Nexgard and if these things continue to happen and the snap test keeps showing negative then you will know it is another problem, not tick related (unless youre unlucky and got a strain of Babesiosis that keeps coming back). Do you let your dogs play in water outside? Could be a strain of Leptospirosis. Dogs can naturally eliminate this bacteria with a good diet/or it is easily treated with antibiotics. The vaccine only protects 70% of dogs from memory, also gives the disease funnily enough, and where I live only covers one strain. Really endemic rural Thai. May explain the negative snap test, as the other reasons for it to be negative are much more serious. For Ehrlichiosis (one common disease here in Thai) I think it has a 95% accuracy rate, so would have to be pretty unlucky for a false reading.

Edited by wildewillie89

10 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

The vets have to do the relevant tests. It would be incredibly negligent, unprofessional and would open themselves to reporting if they did not do the tests. However confident we as owners are is irrelevant in these sorts of situations. Tick diseases are famous for mimicking all sorts of other diseases, not just other infections/virus, but things like autoimmune and cancer.  

Get on the Bravecto/Nexgard and if these things continue to happen and the snap test keeps showing negative then you will know it is another problem, not tick related (unless youre unlucky and got a strain of Babesiosis that keeps coming back). Do you let your dogs play in water outside? Could be a strain of Leptospirosis. Dogs can naturally eliminate this bacteria with a good diet/or it is easily treated with antibiotics. The vaccine only protects 70% of dogs from memory, also gives the disease funnily enough, and where I live only covers one strain. Really endemic rural Thai. May explain the negative snap test, as the other reasons for it to be negative are much more serious. For Ehrlichiosis (one common disease here in Thai) I think it has a 95% accuracy rate, so would have to be pretty unlucky for a false reading.

You are right, the vets need to do the tests.. I can see that... but when we know as owners what the problem is.. because we have seen EXACTLY the same symptoms many times in the same dog... it is so frustrating to go though all this unnecessary and expensive (also time wasting) stuff.

My dogs are mostly house dogs.  We have a closed in garden.. with no standing water.. so they don't play or walk in water... in fact they are loath to even go outside if its raining!  

This time the snap test was done again.. and it came back positive. So I am sure its the tick born disease.  I think it must be really common in my area.  Honestly, there are hardly ever any tick found on the dogs.. and NEVER any in the house.  My smallest dog must have no resistance to the bacteria.  I wonder if they can get immunity over time like the street dogs must have?

Anyway, the little guy is home now... and acting almost back to normal.  Very easy to give the pills.. I just wrap them is a small ball of cheese!  The iron supplement paste must be tasty and they lick that up no problem.  

My other half suggested I never let the dogs outside in the garden.. just have a small fence in gravel area for them to go to the bathroom... and we can put lots of anti tick powder and spray in it... but I think the dogs have to have a nice life.. running about in the fresh air and laying in the sun.....