Case closed: Police say Hmong not in the wrong

webfact

Case closed: Police say Hmong not in the wrong

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter -

Chiang-Mai-kids.jpg

A photo posted on Reddit Sunday claimed to show the process while a tourist’s watch was stolen by the kids in Chiang Mai. (Photo: Reddit / MedardBoss)

CHIANG MAI — Two young Hmong girls described as “tiny thieves” in headlines the world over were allowed back to the Chiang Mai temple where an unidentified tourist recently said they stole a watch.

Investigating the case after an image went viral last week, police said they found no evidence the two girls, 7 and 10, stole the wristwatch at Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. They were freed and will return to the temple this weekend to pose for photos with tourists, police Lt. Col. Anek Chaiwong said Thursday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2016/09/29/case-closed-police-say-hmong-not-wrong/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-09-30

Good no pick pockets in Thailand.  The story has already been in every major international newspaper.  Police saying they can't identify the tourists is rubbish and they are more interested in a cover up to protect the tourist dollar.  Dear thai police  If you want to know who the tourists are try social media and international news agencies.

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Good no pick pockets in Thailand.  The story has already been in every major international newspaper.  Police saying they can't identify the tourists is rubbish and they are more interested in a cover up to protect the tourist dollar.  Dear thai police  If you want to know who the tourists are try social media and international news agencies.

The tourist found their watch already. maybe do a little research before you post something.

To bad the damage is already done now for these little girls.

I hope they ban the tourists with their false claim for ever returning to Thailand.

Edited by terminatorchiangmai

This really pissed me off. A tourist who comes from a place that has everything makes trouble for two kids who have very little, all to make their Thailand trip more exotic, just like Ryan Lochte at the Olympics.

Maybe I'm just lucky but in almost three years of living here I have never been stolen from nor is it something I am any more concerned about than I would be in Canada. I'm not saying it doesn't happen or that it can't - anything can happen in Thailand but this story just reeked of attention-grabbing BS to me from the get go.

Maybe the family should file a defamation suit and these two can have that waiting for them at the airport should they ever decide to return for another "adventure" in Thailand?

I'd crowdfund that just for kicks.

33 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

The tourist found their watch already. maybe do a little research before you post something.

To bad the damage is already done now for these little girls.

I hope they ban the tourists with their false claim for ever returning to Thailand.

Where is the information reporting that the watches have been found?

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Where was this info stated ?

Where does it state that the tourists found their watch ?

"Other details included the fact that the man who took the photograph said he and his girlfriend had had quite a bit to drink before going to the temple.

Medardboss then claimed later that the watch had been found and the woman contacted the 'mildly interesting' thread to say the pictures had been used without her permission."

"However, the unnamed woman in the picture has claimed via Reddit that the photos were stolen from her Facebook page without permission and subsequently posted online."

http://www.georgianewsday.com/news/regional/412423-exclusive-i-didn-t-take-your-watch-i-want-you-to-come-visit-me-thai-girls-in-adorable-pickpocket-storm-say-they-are-innocent-and-plead-with-tourist-victim-to-come-forward.html

A little research goes a long way.

I know there is good and bad everywhere...But I have never had anything stolen, taken from me.  The things people leave laying about it Thailand is unbelievable, myself included.  To be honest I would not do it so much in the UK (my own country)

Edited by Caps

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It was the anonymous person who posted the "stolen from FB" photos onto Reddit that claimed that the watch had been found , not the lady who lost the watch

I'm not surprised, she's probably too afraid and embarrassed to admit the fact.

2 hours ago, jackspratt498 said:

This really pissed me off. A tourist who comes from a place that has everything makes trouble for two kids who have very little, all to make their Thailand trip more exotic, just like Ryan Lochte at the Olympics.

Maybe I'm just lucky but in almost three years of living here I have never been stolen from nor is it something I am any more concerned about than I would be in Canada. I'm not saying it doesn't happen or that it can't - anything can happen in Thailand but this story just reeked of attention-grabbing BS to me from the get go.

Maybe the family should file a defamation suit and these two can have that waiting for them at the airport should they ever decide to return for another "adventure" in Thailand?

What/when Is the "get go"??

5 hours ago, jackspratt498 said:

Phew!!!

Wouldn't fancy short changing your salary :coffee1:

So many people does stupid things when they are in Thailand!

Two foreigners have been harassing one of my friends family. Now when they have it all on paper and with the help of the extended family they have take some counter measures... lets just say that the shit has REALLY hit the fan for those two and no bribes will be large enough to let them pass immigration before this thing is solved!    

28 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

So many people does stupid things when they are in Thailand!

Two foreigners have been harassing one of my friends family. Now when they have it all on paper and with the help of the extended family they have take some counter measures... lets just say that the shit has REALLY hit the fan for those two and no bribes will be large enough to let them pass immigration before this thing is solved!    

Are you sure that you have posted that in the right thread ?

Just seems a bit random .

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

^ Although there is a photo of them at home in School uniforms, so they do go to School . Its School holidays here at the moment

Circumstantial evidence I would point out but it fits in very well with the postings from both sides in this pathetic thread

Oh what a poor result for many of the incredibly brilliant TV sleuths who were convinced the photo was proof the very innocent 7 y.o. was making a slick move to remove the watch. Lets just hope that the #@%& woman makes some reparations for her unfounded accusations. Or a defamation suit like someone suggested above.

6 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

What/when Is the "get go"??

Oh, you've been in Thailand too long. It's very popular now to say "get go" instead of "start" or "beginning". Without looking it up I would guess it's an Americanism that's gone global.

45 minutes ago, shadmo63 said:

Oh, you've been in Thailand too long. It's very popular now to say "get go" instead of "start" or "beginning". Without looking it up I would guess it's an Americanism that's gone global.

Another mindless, meaningless cliche then?  Just whaT we need!

Get go???  Makes no sense. It reminds me of another ridiculous expression of some years back, "mad as all get out",  whatever that means, but I suspect nothing.

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition

12 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Whether thieves or not......they are cute little girls of 7 & 10......helping Mom & Dad with income.......and so much better than being at school.

What ignorance!  Doi Pui is not a poor village but a rather prosperous village as are most of the Mong villages close to Chiang Mai in the Doi Suthep National Forest area.  I have met quite a few young lads from that village, friends of my son and my nephew whose father is Mong, who spend the weekend driving these souped-up dirt bikes in the hills.  In my neighboring Mong village every kid goes to school, even the few young ones up at Nong Hoi Mai who spend the weekends dressed up for photos at the viewpoint on the ridge by the cell phone tower to make a few baat. 

So, why are these girls allowed to stand on the steps of a temple to make money?  I have not seen that at any other temples in Thailand.  Also, if they can do it, why can't hundreds of other children with poor parents do it?

Just sayin, just wonderin

Edited by Redline

I wonder where all those posters are that jumped on this when it was first published and condemned the girls, and their community in general, as despicable thieves taught how to take advantage of foreign visitors.   You all know who you are and should be posting here with your apologies.