D'oh! - I've Just Reformatted My C/drive...

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

Hi,

I've reformatted my C Drive (XP Pro sp2) and now, in the BIOS boot up screen, I have 2 options when it comes to which operating system to boot: both of them XP Professional.

The first one boots up fine and is the one I'm having the problem with on below with subsequently defragmenting my c drive..

if I highlight the 2nd XP Pro, it comes to the reformatting menu (during the reformatting process itself), to the 'set up files' section, ie this version of XP is only 1/2 way through getting done.

Anyway, after booting up the normal XP operating system and try to defrag my c drive, the following appears

"fragmentation has been cancelled due to inconsistencies that were detected in the file system. Please run CHKDSK to repair these inconsistencies, then run diskeeper (the software I used) again."

so, i run the CHKDSK command, and instantly it appears:

"F parameter not specified, CHKDSK will Read only"

the command carries on through the disk with no other probems, but afterwards, I still am unable to defragment and the same message appears.

Not sure if you can follow this, can you suggest anything or point me somewhere where I might get some information. (my PC isn't on the net, not connected.)

IS the the half finished XP pro operating system to blame for me not being able to defrag my c drive on the XP operating system that does work?

Confused?

Apologies,

Cheers for any guidance

James

so, i run the CHKDSK command, and instantly it appears:

"F parameter not specified, CHKDSK will Read only"

James

James, I suggest you go to Start, Run, CHKDSK (Drive letter of problem drive) /f

If that doesn't work go to Accessories and find C:/ prompt and change so root is drive you want to fix and then do CHKDSK /F

Goog luck

James: Please define the term "reformat" for me please. What steps did you take to reformat your drive?

My suggestion: Save your data (if you have any data on the drive) and start over by DELETING the partitions (Press "D" on step 6 of the instructions below) and REFORMATTING the drive. Accomplish a fresh install of XP. XP installation procedures.

Edited by Rice_King

IF that doesn't fix it here is something else to try

First right click on my computer/properties/advanced tab startup and recovery settings then you can edit your boot.ini file here and delete the XP Pro choice that you don't want. Becareful here if you are not familiar with this as you might not beable to boot back into windows with out the original disk if you delete the wrong thing.

Also running chkdsk /r might help you out.

Cheers folks,

basically, when installing windows XP (pro sp2) for the second time, I simply installed it on top of the existing XP operating system, creating a multi operating system - but with the identical system, hence no point at all!

Now, when installing XP, I have chosen to delete the C drive partition and install windows on the new, clean c drive, hence resolving that issue.

I was trying to get into the boot.ini menu to see if I could delete the first, unnecessary operating system, hence allowing me to subsequently de-fragment it. But no avail.

Anyway, all seems OK now, sorry for the confusion and badly typed OP.

Ex-English don't you know :o